It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts!!!!

Options

Comments

• Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,399 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I didn't marry at 17!!! Although, I was only early 20's!!! No uni for me.

Only the real brain boxes did back in the late 80's, the rest of us got jobs.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • Triumph13
    Triumph13 Posts: 1,730 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Am I the only person who is planning to teach my kids to drive rather than pay for someone else to do it? It's not exactly rocket science!
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    atush wrote: »
    Different times indeed. Cant marry at 17 now.

You can marry at 16 with parent consent.
  • JoeEngland
    JoeEngland Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Triumph13 wrote: »
    Am I the only person who is planning to teach my kids to drive rather than pay for someone else to do it? It's not exactly rocket science!

True, but it'd still be worth them having a few lessons prior to the test to check for bad habits and advice on doing the test.
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,086 Forumite
    Options
    When I took driving lessons in the early 80s the BSM instructor also included a few tips on handbrake turns and rally driving. We ended a couple of lessons down the pub.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Options
    JoeEngland wrote: »
    All this talk of the cost of having kids makes me glad we didn't have any! ☺
    You've also done way more than your share of the stopping of global warming, since having a child imposes costs so high that no other changes in lifestyle can come close to matching them. And you got it done long enough ago that most of the benefit has been delivered when it can make the greatest difference.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,595 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    I will just respond to this point. Surely, don't a lot of people do this??? Not for money saving reasons, but the pure logistics of "soaping up" without the water running, so you don't immediately wash all your suds off.

So yes, I get wet, wash my hair and face, turn the water off, soap up, then turn it back on to rinse, (in plenty of hot water I might add).

If that makes me tight or odd, then so be it.;)

I even had a long hot soak in the BATH after my latest long run, bubbles right up to my chin. Oh, the luxury of it - How extravagant of me!!!! ;)

Both OH and I turn off the water mid shower too to soap up. As you say not only for mse reasons but environmental ones too. Wasting water either by running the shower unnecessarily or letting the tap run whilst brushing your teeth is a shocking waste. Nothing to do with saving money but obviously if on a meter it does.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 3 October 2019 at 8:37AM
    Options
    westv wrote: »
    If I had them, I'd like to think they'd be able to fund their own driving and housing.
    What is it with 17 and driving? Why do some many people automatically think you MUST drive then?

We live in a Village 4.5 miles from the nearest train station, 4.5 miles from the nearest small towns and 10 miles from the two nearest larger towns with facilities like cinemas, bowling, and organised events for young people. From 1st November our bus service to the Station (06:00 and 18:30, weekdays), and the two hour frequency bus between the two larger town will no longer come through our village and the school transport to the larger town in the next County is withdrawn. The cost of taxis is over £10 to (and £10 from) the nearest towns.

That is why we wanted our Son to learn to drive as soon as possible. Quite simply, it liberated us from the taxi of Mums and Dads :)
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    atush wrote: »
    If you had them, you'd know better. Easy to be dismissive if you dont.

Where we live you MUST drive. Out in the country, limited to no bus service. Plus all my 3 are american citizens. And only the poor dont drive there. You can live in a city like NYC and not drive, but pretty much everywhere else you have to. So i made sure they know how. It is a life skill.

AS for paying for their own? Well i suppose they could have, but they needed to drive to school. And while they applied for Saturday jobs, there were over 50 kids for every job in a small town. One of the twins got down to the last 3 for an interview 3 times. but was a year younger than the others (Summer baby).

They managed to get summer jobs at 18, but were going to uni so had them save all their cash for that. Already had their licenses then though.

Once they started earning they had to pay for it all, incl insurance and annual service and road tax. Even with summer jobs had to pay for the petrol. Was a shock for them getting those first bills lol.

I agree with much of this. We considered driving a life skill so encouraged our daughters to learn and helped with the cost of driving lessons, first car and insurance. We paid half and they paid half. We live rurally, eldest daughter was at Uni 400 miles away so her driving saved us making the trip with all her stuff every year and it gave them more job opportunities. They both had summer and term time part time jobs to pay for running the cars and were both paying everything after leaving Uni.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    Triumph13 wrote: »

Once my daughters had done a few lessons I let them practice driving using my car but I did not feel I could teach them to the level of a qualified driving instructor or be relaxed enough to let them drive my car without dual controls until they had learnt enough to be able master controlling the car fairly confidently.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback