It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts!!!!

Options

Comments

• Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,399 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just got back from a lovely 7.5 mile walk on the edge of the Cotswolds.

Sun shining, picnic lunch, flask of coffee. Pizza for tea!!! We've earnt it today.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • Triumph13
    Triumph13 Posts: 1,730 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    Just got back from a lovely 7.5 mile walk on the edge of the Cotswolds.

Sun shining, picnic lunch, flask of coffee. Pizza for tea!!! We've earnt it today.
    Officially jealous. Not fair that the one day a week I work is the one day that the sun shines!
    On the other hand, the income did pay for my shiny new wood fired pizza oven...
  • Sea_Shell
    Options
    Triumph13 wrote: »
    Officially jealous. Not fair that the one day a week I work is the one day that the sun shines!
    On the other hand, the income did pay for my shiny new wood fired pizza oven...

You win on the wood fired Pizza Oven.....we're just having a couple of Dr Oetker frozen ones, but we do like them!! Yum!! We don't have them very often, so no harm no foul!!

There might even be a couple of Cans of Saint Etienne beer in the fridge too.:beer:
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    atush wrote: »
    I didnt hear that either.

Getting your children driving, and educated is not spoiling them.

If I had them, I'd like to think they'd be able to fund their own driving and housing.
    What is it with 17 and driving? Why do some many people automatically think you MUST drive then?
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    JoeEngland wrote: »
    All this talk of the cost of having kids makes me glad we didn't have any! ☺

Too right.

All my 3 say they wont be having any lol
  • atush
    Options
    I don't want this thread to turn into a "my lifestyle's better than yours" tit for tat.

It's about my journey, and I hoped like minded people would want to follow how I get on, not make me feel I have to justify myself.

I appreciate some have wildly different views as to what they want their retirement to be, so maybe it would be best if they could start a thread for their circumstances, rather than belittle my choices, Rock and Roll as they are!!!

Anyway, I'm curled up on the sofa with a cuppa, watching the Athletics.

Too right. And you sound happy.

My OH has just gone down to 4 days a week this week. Fridays will be interesting. Although he is working this Friday as he doesnt want to sit home in a hurricane. I will be as i dont want to be out in one lol.
  • Sea_Shell
    Options
    westv wrote: »
    If I had them, I'd like to think they'd be able to fund their own driving and housing.
    What is it with 17 and driving? Why do some many people automatically think you MUST drive then?

I know things are different these days, but I learnt at 17, but then I was working full time, paid for lessons and an old car myself. No handouts from parents for anything, other than a part contribution to our wedding.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

I guess it depends on what other modes of transport are available. My daughter couldn't wait to learn and the freedom that I have gained from it in not being 'Mum's taxi' is fab. I can go to gigs or out for a meal and not have to be able to drive and pick her up from band practices plus no more 8am Sunday morning getting her to the animal rescue in the middle of nowhere. She has friends who aren't interested and others like her who passed within a few months of their 17th.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • atush
    Options

If you had them, you'd know better. Easy to be dismissive if you dont.

Where we live you MUST drive. Out in the country, limited to no bus service. Plus all my 3 are american citizens. And only the poor dont drive there. You can live in a city like NYC and not drive, but pretty much everywhere else you have to. So i made sure they know how. It is a life skill.

AS for paying for their own? Well i suppose they could have, but they needed to drive to school. And while they applied for Saturday jobs, there were over 50 kids for every job in a small town. One of the twins got down to the last 3 for an interview 3 times. but was a year younger than the others (Summer baby).

They managed to get summer jobs at 18, but were going to uni so had them save all their cash for that. Already had their licenses then though.

Once they started earning they had to pay for it all, incl insurance and annual service and road tax. Even with summer jobs had to pay for the petrol. Was a shock for them getting those first bills lol.
  • atush
    Options
    I know things are different these days, but I learnt at 17, but then I was working full time, paid for lessons and an old car myself. No handouts from parents for anything, other than a part contribution to our wedding.

Different times indeed. Cant marry at 17 now. And mine were all in 6th form. So no full time jobs.

Uni or not, once you are working full time you should pay your way, as you did and I (and my 3). But we were a few years older as we did higher education.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback