It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts!!!!

Options

Comments

• Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,400 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Each to their own!!
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I know of folks who got a combi boiler and water meter when their 4 kids moved out, and complained bitterly of the wasted 'paid for' water in the pipes that was running down the drain whilst the hot water was running through the pipes. Same couple would get wet in the shower, turn it off to soap up, then turn it on to rinse off - utterly incredible, and that is tight IMO :(

Why, in this one lifetime, would you deny yourself something as basic as a nice hot shower??
    The list goes on, freezing house in the winter - fabulous house, but freezing, and I'm talking see your breath cold.... why would you?
    I agree these things are incredibly tight, but I've never read anyone doing these things on this forum.
    When my retirement comes, I've absolutely earned it, and I will be living my life like it ends tomorrow. Honestly folks, you all know it's not a dress rehearsal, get out there and enjoy yourselves before it's too late :beer:
    Just because some people aren't spending lots money doesn't mean they aren't enjoying themselves.
  • cfw1994
    cfw1994 Posts: 1,878 Forumite
    Hung up my suit! First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    When my retirement comes, I've absolutely earned it, and I will be living my life like it ends tomorrow. Honestly folks, you all know it's not a dress rehearsal, get out there and enjoy yourselves before it's too late :beer:

The Oldsage

:cool:

As SS says, each to their own. I too haven't seen some of the scrimping you say....but I have read of some retiring at much younger ages than 60-65: I'm all for learning from them!

We too have several vehicles I'm paying for, kids starting their way in life....less on the exotic holidays (does a 1,500 mile Scotland tour with castles, festival shows,glamping, bothying, etc count?!!)....but I am determined to wind away from the grind of corporate life before I'm 56, & snippets from threads like these all help,either with ideas or just encouragement!
    Plan for tomorrow, enjoy today!
  • Sea_Shell
    Options
    I'll just reiterate... we're 47 and 53.

So we're in the early stages of retirement, which includes an element of financial management.

We can't spend like there's no tomorrow, just yet.

If our plans pan out as we hope, then by the time we're 60....spendfest (maybe).
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Options
    Why, in this one lifetime, would you deny yourself something as basic as a nice hot shower?? The list goes on, freezing house in the winter - fabulous house, but freezing, and I'm talking see your breath cold.... why would you?

Maybe if you had a daughter called Greta.
  • Sea_Shell
    Options
    Same couple would get wet in the shower, turn it off to soap up, then turn it on to rinse off - utterly incredible, and that is tight IMO :(

I will just respond to this point. Surely, don't a lot of people do this??? Not for money saving reasons, but the pure logistics of "soaping up" without the water running, so you don't immediately wash all your suds off.

So yes, I get wet, wash my hair and face, turn the water off, soap up, then turn it back on to rinse, (in plenty of hot water I might add).

If that makes me tight or odd, then so be it.;)

I even had a long hot soak in the BATH after my latest long run, bubbles right up to my chin. Oh, the luxury of it - How extravagant of me!!!! ;)
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Options
    I think the Germans are much more into being green than we are. We visit German Campsites and they always time the showers and charge per unit of electricity. We visited a funny one where they had a communal kitchen with a shower off. They had a machine where you put coins in and got 3 minutes of hot water. But the machine was in the kitchen. The campsite owner told us to take all our clothes off in the kitchen, put the coin in and then run into the shower. My wife was not impressed.
  • The_Oldsage
    Options
    Audaxer wrote: »
    I agree these things are incredibly tight, but I've never read anyone doing these things on this forum.

Just because some people aren't spending lots money doesn't mean they aren't enjoying themselves.

So what exactly is the whole point of saving money if you are not then going to spend it at some other point in your life?

Strikes me that lots of people on here miss the fact that they are living the one life they have and totally focus on an end result to the detriment of the life they are living right now. As SS says, each to their own, but even our illustrious leader :money: has a mantra about getting the balance right ;)

Multiple personal tragedy during my lifetime has made me completely aware of how fragile life is, maybe I'm just much more life savvy than the rest? :cool:

I personally have never heard of any other person who turns off the water mid shower, until now SS :D

As stated, I've saved enough into pensions to wrap at 60, and I've saved it for one reason and one reason alone - to spend it :beer:
    ;)
    One life, get it lived :cool:
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well I've never turned the water off mid shower nor have I ever had a problem with the shower gel being washed off mid soaping.
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,509 Forumite
    Options
    As stated, I've saved enough into pensions to wrap at 60, and I've saved it for one reason and one reason alone - to spend it :beer:
    ;)
    That's fine if you have enough money to last you for the rest of your life as you could have another 30 years or more after 60. I think most people on here just want to ensure they don't run out of money during retirement, and some also want to ensure they leave a decent inheritance.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback