It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts!!!!

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    I don't want this thread to turn into a "my lifestyle's better than yours" tit for tat.

It's about my journey, and I hoped like minded people would want to follow how I get on, not make me feel I have to justify myself.

I appreciate some have wildly different views as to what they want their retirement to be, so maybe it would be best if they could start a thread for their circumstances, rather than belittle my choices, Rock and Roll as they are!!!

Anyway, I'm curled up on the sofa with a cuppa, watching the Athletics.
    Couldn't agree more, Sea Shell, good for you :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I really don't get what seems to be this need to give children whatever they want whenever they need it.
  • Terron
    Terron Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I would assume you both have not raised 4 children then, I have, and I'll tell you what, if I hadn't, I would have been retired way before now. I've paid for driving lessons when each turned 17, then furnished all of them with their first car and first years insurance. I could have put it into my pension, but they would have struggled to commute to jobs etc 😉

That was very generous of you.

I got driving lessions when I was young, used my bike when I went to uni, and when I got my first job bought a moped, When the weather was really bad I used the bus, Only after I had been working a year and a half did I buy a car. OK it was my Dad's old one, but given the condition I don't think I got a great bargain.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    To answer your question about toothbrushing, yes, we turn the tap off after wetting the brush and then on again to rinse. Sometimes I do this with the hot tap so it warms up if I am having a wash rather than a shower before going out for exercise.

DH also turns the shower off after he is wet to soap up before rinsing. I don't (I need the hot water as I broke my spine and the nerves have remembered and need some softening). I like the fact our water usage is efficient and we pay what is apparently a low monthly £22 but our reasons are more complicated than just reducing spend.

I agree Sea Shell, your thread is not about competitive or critical lifestyle comparisons. I love the variety and the tips. We don't all have to agree but it doesn't mean others' choices are wrong.

Yes we have raised children, financially supported (and continue to, on occasion), have a good house, big garden, multiple vehicles and take holidays. Life is good but not always extravagant - we use wonky veg (it tastes the same) and keep our routine spends low but we are comfortable, financially. Not everyone is and tips to save work for savers (who choose to) and scrimpers (who need to).
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • The_Oldsage
    Options
    I doubt many on here, or anywhere, retired early with Ferrari's on their drives regardless as to how many children they have had.

As with anything there's different ways to look at it... for example, what's better; working hard and earning a good living to give your kids what they want in life, or not earning quite so much and spending more time at home with your kids?
    Its not for anyone else but ourselves to make that decision.

If there had been a tongue in cheek emoji to put in after the Ferrari I would have used it :D

I worked hard to give my family a good living, not to give my kids what they wanted in life, not sure at which point I have said that, maybe my words of wisdom have been misconstrued.. ;)

Anyhow, back to Sea Shells excellent thread, I'm keeping quiet on here now :)

:D
    One life, get it lived :cool:
  • The_Oldsage
    Options
    westv wrote: »
    I really don't get what seems to be this need to give children whatever they want whenever they need it.

Who said that?
    One life, get it lived :cool:
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Anyhow, back to Sea Shells excellent thread, I'm keeping quiet on here now :)

:D

Now there I do agree, it is an excellent thread - and I don't think you need to keep quiet (I don't!) - just be prepared to be challenged. It's a lot less hostile than some parts of this forum ;)
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would assume you both have not raised 4 children then, I have, and I'll tell you what, if I hadn't, I would have been retired way before now. I've paid for driving lessons when each turned 17, then furnished all of them with their first car and first years insurance. I could have put it into my pension, but they would have struggled to commute to jobs etc 😉
    My family have been my biggest expense and my greatest pleasure at the same time.
    Priorities, we all have different ones, but yes, without my four kids, like some of you on here, I'd be long retired with a Ferrari on the drive and a property abroad 😆

Sea Shell, do the shower poll 👍🏼

This is so true. All 3 of ours are out now, and had we not had them, or if just one, we would have been retired years ago. Lke you we've paid for everything incl 3x uni and 1 law school.

They cost us a bomb. But they are worth it.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Who said that?

I didnt hear that either.

Getting your children driving, and educated is not spoiling them.

Taking them to Hawaii might have been, but i wanted to go and i couldnt go w/o them.
  • JoeEngland
    JoeEngland Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    All this talk of the cost of having kids makes me glad we didn't have any! ☺
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback