New Post Advanced Search

Debate House Prices

We’re struggling at the moment with the huge volumes of messages we’re getting from Forumites about coronavirus and the impact it’s having on their finances. We’re a small team and we’re doing our best to manage this spike in demand. As a result, we’ve reluctantly decided to temporarily close the Debate House Prices & the Economy Board so that we can redirect our limited resources to those who need us most at this time.

Please do not post content intended for this board elsewhere in the forum – we appreciate your help and understanding during this exceptionally difficult time. It goes without saying, we hope to get back to full business as soon as possible!

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH
FOREIGN OFFICE TRAVEL ADVICE * FURLOUGH UPDATE * MORTGAGE LENDING

Will Brexit happen?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debate House Prices & the Economy
1.7K replies 20.6K views
ArklightArklight Forumite
3.1K posts
1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debate House Prices & the Economy
Doesn't matter whether you want it to or not, do you think it will or not?

I don't want Brexit, but I thought it was inevitable. I have moved to thinking the possibility of any party delivering Brexit is minimal now. It will become one of those intractable issues like Northern Ireland used to be, that will just go on forever causing discord.

Will Brexit actually happen? 387 votes

Yes
45% 178 votes
No
36% 143 votes
Don't know
17% 66 votes

Replies

• worried_jimworried_jim PPR
    11.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, common sense will prevail.
  • SplatfootSplatfoot Forumite
    111 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Hopefully it won't happen.
    MFW #96 Goal 2020 £600
  • BallardBallard Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a remainer but a form of Brexit will happen. it's unlikely to be a version that pleases many people but I think that it's almost inevitable.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    45.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poll needed an option for "neither one or the other halfway house "
    Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Zero_GravitasZero_Gravitas Forumite
    568 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Browntoa wrote: »
    Poll needed an option for "neither one or the other halfway house "

A sort of 52% out, 48% in option?
  • HerzlosHerzlos Forumite
    11.5K posts
    10,000 Posts Eighth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there was any political appetite or workable plan for it then it would have happened already.

At this stage, we're going to drag it out until cancelling it is a sure fire winner.

Not that it matters anyway, we'd have rejoined within a decade.
  • Enterprise_1701CEnterprise_1701C Forumite
    23.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will happen.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • michaelsmichaels Forumite
    24K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will happen....in that we will no longer be members of the EU.

It won't happen in that we will still be a vassal state following the edicts of our betters in Brussels.

Worst solution for UK, best for Euro federalists. Why do you think they did their best to encourage the Brexit vote, having the UK in the decision making process always slowed federalization, having us out of the decision loop but still following orders and paying is ideal.
    I think....
  • phillwphillw Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Herzlos wrote: »
    If there was any political appetite or workable plan for it then it would have happened already.

There is a political appetite for it, but in almost the same ~50:50 split as the country.

I don't think anyone can predict what will happen, but both sides are becoming more entrenched and any compromises that the conservatives make to get labour support are likely to lose just as much conservative support.

At some point they will betray the result of the 2017 general election and ignore the will of the people and keep holding general elections every five years until 'they' get the result they want. Something may then change one way or another.
  • Enterprise_1701CEnterprise_1701C Forumite
    23.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Er, there's general elections every five years anyway. Unless of course Corbyn gets in, momentum woukd probably then unseat him, put McDonnell in and declare him emperor for life.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare