What small DFW things will you do w/c 29th April?

When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important! :money:
DF as at 30/12/16
Womblng 2020:
NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2

Comments

• determined_new_ms
    determined_new_ms Posts: 7,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 29 April 2019 at 9:40AM
    Morning :D Not much to report for me today - keeping it simple and achievable!

* walk pup down to the allotment, dig for an hour or so and walk back :D
    [STRIKE]* checked banking[/STRIKE] - received £16 in interest :D My xmas food piggie is now up to £90 solely funded by interest/bonus for changing banks :D
    * complete job application
    * sewing
    * 2nd pup walk when madam/oh are home
    * make roast pork I didn't do yesterday
    * lunch will be last portion of carrot and coriander soup
    *[STRIKE] renewed madam's library books online[/STRIKE] :D that's another load of library fines I won't be receiving!
    [STRIKE]* load of washing & hang on line[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]* make a loaf of bread[/STRIKE]
    * saved water I ran while heating water for loaf
    * washed up rather than leaving it later seeing as I had ran the water hot! ;)

Happy Monday y'all
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • carrielovesfanta
    carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 29 April 2019 at 6:23PM
    Morning folks!

Thanks to DNMS for starting us off - I hope you're feeling a bit better?

Really bit down in the dumps at the moment and I#m not sure why. Probably just need to MTFU.

Today's mission:
    • B/L/D from stores. Eat B despite questionable milk. Smelled ok but seemed a bit yogurty on cooking. I don't think it will hurt me though. - done
    • Charge phone in work - didn't get chance as went home
    • Gym after work - didn't get chance as went home
    • Check PMP - done
    • Reconcile budget sheet for EOM - done
    • Water greenhouse - done
    • Peg washing outside - done
    • Flushed loo with reclaimed bath water - done
    • Using reusable sanitary protection - done
    • Ring opticians as I'm concerned about my eye. Maybe this is why I'm down... might be worry. - appointment at 2. Am actually quite worried.
    • No alcohol
    • Put washing away - partly done
    • Knit
    Have a good one all

clf x
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Morning all :hello:

Thanks for starting us off determined good luck with job application. Sending positive vibes to Those who are feeling a little blue. My list for today:

Chicken out of freezer for tea
    Made a jelly to turn into a mousse with morning cuppa
    Check banking
    Washing shuffle
    Quick fly lady of lounge
    Big project happening at work today, hoping it doesn't cause too many stresses
    Triage fridge later
    Used up small handful of nachos and a few odd breadsticks on smalls lunches, so 2 packets gone :D
    Soaking label off another jar for my pantry :T

Have a good day all. Purps.
  • Made a jelly to turn into a mousse with morning cuppa

I can't quite imagine this?!
  • La_escocesa
    La_escocesa Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi guys :wave:

Still here :rotfl:
    DNMS - must try harder :rotfl:
    Dawn - yes, 40 weeks this week already! :j
    CLF - hope you get your eye checked out - see if that will help with how you're feeling. :)
    Purps - yes, what is this jelly/mouse stuff you speak of?! :cool:

Here's me:
    - Checked banking
    - Updated YNAB - still in the black and £5k still in savings :dance:
    - Food from stores (even though we were v tempted walking past the pub last night!!)
    - Using own-brand shizzle
    - Went a walk last night - free exercise and all that - was a bit sad as it's the first time we've been there without our dog who died last year :(

Righty, I'm off... Catch up soon!
  • trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 April 2019 at 5:58PM
    Morning all.

La escosesa - how's it going? * cross posted!!

A bit of a doing day today after my fun and frolics yesterday.

Load of washing already on the line and another in the machine, and it's supposed to be an OK day. It's a bit dull at the moment, but hopefully it'll improve. Second load out now.
    End of the month so I've been balancing the books and inputting it all onto my spreadsheets. I have a spreadsheet for the business (over and above the standard bookkeeping) which basically shows how much money comes from the business to the personal account. Then I have a spreadsheet for personal expenditure. Then I have a spreadsheet for projected expenditure (which shows me how long the money will last at current rates of expenditure - it makes it very easy to see where and when savings need to be made).
    My smart meter has stopped working, so I need a new one. Slightly complicated by the fact that I switched energy suppliers just days after the smart meters were fitted - but I was assured that it would continue to work and that I shouldn't trouble my pretty little head about it (it's a second generation meter). Well, it stopped working. British Gas (who fitted the meter) told me that it was now the responsibility of my new suppliers (edf). Edf have no record of us having a smart meter, but have worked out that probably British Gas hadn't updated the records by the time we switched. But they still needed me to prove that I have a smart meter - first of all they needed the serial numbers, and then they asked for photos of the meters!! I've just sent the photos today, so we'll see what the response is. Honestly, I wasn't particularly bothered about having a smart meter in the first place, but British Gas insisted, and told me that everyone would have to have them in the end. Everyone, apparently, who doesn't switch suppliers. Now I have to go and manually read the meters so that I don't get charged a ridiculous amount of money on an estimated bill, while they sort themselves out.
    I was going to pop into work to check something, then realised I'm there anyway for a meeting tomorrow, and it can wait until then. That's saved me a trip. It's got more complicated, as the boss just emailed me, talking about our meeting 'next week' - I'm hoping she's the one that's mistaken! She was - meeting is still on for tomorrow.

I need to clean the car - I parked under a tree the other day and between the blossom and the bird poop, it's a bit of a mess. I used to just go to the car wash once a month, at £5 a pop - but Halford's own-brand car shampoo was £14 for quite a lot, and I'm sure it'll last more than 3 washes! Actually, I'll make darned sure it does!! Car clean and shiny, even swept out the inside.
    The bucket in the shower has become a regular feature now - I get a lovely warm glow when I see how much water I'm saving. Will be using it for flushing the loo - I thought about using it to water the garden, but it's a bit heavy to carry downstairs without spilling, and spilling a bucket of water on the carpet would wipe out all the savings (and more!!). Just have to work out how to do the same for the bath.
    Curry for tea tonight - rubber chicken day 2. Looking forward to it.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • brednall
    brednall Posts: 572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 April 2019 at 1:28PM
    Morning all.

We always wash our cars by hand. Much cheaper and more satisfying to see the shiny end result when you've done it yourself.

Today:

* check bank and update spreadsheet ready for payday tomorrow.
    * charge phone at work if necessary before I finish later
    * pay £40 to Next that hubby has given me towards the coat he had last month. Makes my payment less in May :)
    * Pick up a few bits for stores and tea later but add in things from the freezer.
    * Daughter back at dancing tonight but I have budgeted the invoice into next months spends although I need to query if lessons are on Bank Holiday monday :question::question:
    * Posted craft item I sold on FB - just a million more to sort out to sell.
    * Not much time for housework today but hubby has had his tidying head on this weekend so not looking too bad

I'll add more later if I think of any. Have a great day all

Emma
    Baby daughter born Jan 10
    Baby son born June 11
  • 1LuckyLady
    1LuckyLady Posts: 1,206 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 29 April 2019 at 3:55PM
    Morning all,
    Thanks dnms for the start.

Post holiday blues here today as everyone back to school/work. So I have a long list in my bullet journal and better get on with it!
    Todays plans
    * ys bread for ds1's breakfast with eggs DONE
    * ds2 to free school breakfast club DONE
    * gym session done to make the most of my membership, it works out to be about 80p a class as I try to go five days a week so not a huge expense and good for my MH. Also refilled water bottle there. DONE
    * drink lots of water and less coffee/tea
    * get back to eating for health, holiday food has just about all gone anyway
    * ironing (lots to do which is unusual for me) - going to watch the last two episodes of LIne of Duty that I've missed though which will help! DONE and gripping stuff!!
    * make families lunches for tomorrow
    * check banking / update spreadsheet and pay a bill DONE
    * rm surveys to prep DONE
    * fill in some paperwork for school transport for ds2 so that I can post it tomorrow DONE
    * put away holiday suitcases/bags etc properly and reclaim the spare bed DONE
    * try fixing my phone ringer/silent switch with a toothbrush as it keeps flicking between on and off
    * find ds1s old chromebook in his room of doom, which he never now uses and charge it up, I think I'll use that one as it runs much quicker then this laptop DONE, also unearthed 4 odd socks, a mug, a pen and two Tupperware boxes from under the bed :eek:
    *** Sewn up a hole in my coat, less pin cushion fingers today at least! !
    *** Straightened up some cupboards, working on giving myself a bit of wardrobe space back thats currently taken up by everyone's winter coats hmmmm
    *** Added a few bits to the cs bag that ds2 won't need again

Thats my start. Take care all.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
  • merida88
    merida88 Posts: 116 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Ta DNMS for the new thread :D
    Really bit down in the dumps at the moment and I#m not sure why. Probably just need to MTFU.

Hugs CLF – hope you feel better soon. Don’t be too hard on yourself!

Weekend was very spendy - all planned and highly appreciated but am feeling rather one step forward, one step back and as though I’m not taking this seriously enough. Light bulb still a bit flickery over here it seems.

Goals for the week:
    - 4 NSDs this week
    - Post every day on this thread
    - Get something done about the recalcitrant car

Tasks for today:
    - bike to work
    - all meals and snacks from stores
    - at least one load of laundry
    - write thank you cards
    - call garage re aforementioned car
    - banking shuffle post spendy weekend

Have a good day all :)
  • merida88 wrote: »
    Hugs CLF – hope you feel better soon. Don’t be too hard on yourself!

Thanks :) there's nothing actually wrong so I don't know why I've got such a face on!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts