First Direct and £125 switch bonus

Options

Comments

• Goudy
    Goudy Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've just opened an account and set in motion a switch and it couldn't have been easier.

My account was up and running the next day and was verified by a text message, the welcome pack and debit card were on the mat within 3 days, I expect the PIN to arrive today.
    No checks or certified docs needed.

On the welcome letter it asked me to phone them to set up telephone and internet banking.
    Phone answered straight away, nice friendly chap who obviously wasn't based in India ran through everything with me while I set everything up and made sure I could log into my account there and then.

He even told me I qualified for the switch bonus and what I now needed to do to get it, he also told me he could bring the switch date forward a bit.

So far I couldn't be happier.
  • Zero_Sum
    Zero_Sum Posts: 1,567 Forumite
    Options
    Mine just been paid this morning :beer:
  • bioboybill
    bioboybill Posts: 3,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Goudy wrote: »
    I've just opened an account and set in motion a switch and it couldn't have been easier.

My account was up and running the next day and was verified by a text message, the welcome pack and debit card were on the mat within 3 days, I expect the PIN to arrive today.
    No checks or certified docs needed.

On the welcome letter it asked me to phone them to set up telephone and internet banking.
    Phone answered straight away, nice friendly chap who obviously wasn't based in India ran through everything with me while I set everything up and made sure I could log into my account there and then.

He even told me I qualified for the switch bonus and what I now needed to do to get it, he also told me he could bring the switch date forward a bit.

So far I couldn't be happier.
    Wish I could say the same. I emailed them yesterday from the email account I gave when applying. I asked for an update as I hadn't heard a thing. Got a reply just now to say they can't answer my query as email isn't secure! So why ask my email address?!
  • dcs34
    dcs34 Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    bioboybill wrote: »
    Wish I could say the same. I emailed them yesterday from the email account I gave when applying. I asked for an update as I hadn't heard a thing. Got a reply just now to say they can't answer my query as email isn't secure! So why ask my email address?!
    So when you have an account they can send you an email saying there's a secure message in your account. Or to send you product info if you opt in to that.

Nothing "secure" would ever be contained within the email itself.

Call them. Much easier. Can't think of many banks that answer questions via email.
  • bioboybill
    Options
    dcs34 wrote: »
    So when you have an account they can send you an email saying there's a secure message in your account. Or to send you product info if you opt in to that.

Nothing "secure" would ever be contained within the email itself.

Call them. Much easier. Can't think of many banks that answer questions via email.
    They asked me my mobile number (that I already gave in my application) and promised to phone me. I gave them it again and still haven't heard a thing. Hopeless.
  • bioboybill
    Options
    I received an email from them this morning to say that they couldn't verify me, so couldn't call me after all. They asked me to call them. I did that and was told that my account was accepted and opened last Thursday. Apparently I should have received a confirmation text on Thursday, but didn't. They did confirm that they had the correct phone number. The guy I spoke to couldn't understand why the email support couldn't verify me.

Now I have to wait for items in the post to be able to set up phone and internet banking. I hope the switch goes smoother. Not impressed so far.
  • moneysavinggirl40
    moneysavinggirl40 Posts: 434 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 4 June 2019 at 9:25PM
    Options
    Do you know if it's now too late to get the £125 switch bonus as MSE say "Apply via our link and switch to this account by 11.59pm on Mon 10 Jun". So the application will be today via the link but I don't think the switch will have completed by 10th June. So am doubtful that bonus will be paid. What are ppls thoughts?

Edit: so just tried applying via link anyway. and it says what date would you like to begin switch the earliest is 2nd July in the drop down box. So abandoned the application process.
  • onwards&upwards
    onwards&upwards Posts: 3,423 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do you know if it's now too late to get the £125 switch bonus as MSE say "Apply via our link and switch to this account by 11.59pm on Mon 10 Jun". So the application will be today via the link but I don't think the switch will have completed by 10th June. So am doubtful that bonus will be paid. What are ppls thoughts?

Edit: so just tried applying via link anyway. and it says what date would you like to begin switch the earliest is 2nd July in the drop down box. So abandoned the application process.

That’s usually the date for the switch to complete.
  • Johntea
    Johntea Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How do I get the switching incentive?
    Provided you've never had any sort of account with First Direct before (including mortgages and savings), you just open the account and start your switch. You've three months to complete it and pay in £1,000.
  • CuddlesTC
    CuddlesTC Posts: 148 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well, all the certified documents bit came close to putting me off - even though I work for an accountancy practice and am literally surrounded by people who could do it for me! I told myself to stop being silly and be brave enough to ask one of them.

I applied on Tuesday and heard nothing, so was bracing myself to get rejected again (they turned me down decades ago when they used to give you cash just for opening an account), but my welcome pack and debit card arrived in the post today - no ID requested at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure