🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Wills and stepkids etc

Options

Comments

• Seanymph
    Seanymph Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been thinking about this - I know, I need to get out more.

I actually have become even more divorced from the consensus having spent time thinking about it - no one has a 'right' to inherit anything. Anyone should be free from expectation about where they will leave their hard earned cash, and completely free to choose, I don't like the sense that people are 'entitled' purely based on who they are related to.

I know in France you don't get a choice, but in the UK (and Scotland) you can choose who you leave money to and who you don't, and so you should.

Presumably the wife gets the pension residue, any life insurances, the house - all unencumbered.

To be honest if the OP wants to leave HIS money (as opposed to THEIR money) to the cats home then I think it's entirely up to him.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,520 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Spinning this around...

If, as an adult, my parent had remarried and I'd never been part of their household, I would not expect to inherit a bean from my stepparent.

If I had a younger sibling who had been part of the household and was treated like "one of their own" then I wouldn't have a problem with them inheriting something.

However they may think differently. Talking is the best option here.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,753 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Seanymph wrote: »
    I've been thinking about this - I know, I need to get out more.

I actually have become even more divorced from the consensus having spent time thinking about it - no one has a 'right' to inherit anything. Anyone should be free from expectation about where they will leave their hard earned cash, and completely free to choose, I don't like the sense that people are 'entitled' purely based on who they are related to.

I know in France you don't get a choice, but in the UK (and Scotland) you can choose who you leave money to and who you don't, and so you should.

In Scotland your children always have a right to a share of moveable assets.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,678 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Although we don't know the full story (why doesn't OP's wife work?), my concern was that she would have her fair share of marital assets.

What either party chooses to do with their share going forward is their choice.
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think we need more info op like Maman says

The main one for me, being, Why does your wife not work / financially contribute? & how did she come into the marriage with nothing? Does she have a disability of some kind?

It would help to know this
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Seanymph wrote: »

As comeandgo says, in scotland you can't disinherit your children - or a surviving spouse. That was why I advised OP to get an initial consultation first to be advised on legal & prior rights. Prior rights would only apply if there was no valid will and it was being distributed under the rules of succession. Legal rights apply whether there is a valid will or not. They will also apply before any bequests so they need to be in consideration when writing a scottish will as fulfilling legal right may mean the legacy fails.

However, they can't benefit from both a legacy & legal right. They would need to choose.

So, if a surviving spouse and children then the spouse is entitled to a third of the movable estate and the children are collectively entitled to a third.
    If a surviving spouse and no children, then the spouse is entitled to half of the movable estate.
    If no surviving spouse and children then the children are collectively entitled to half of the movable estate.

Children are (as above) biological (including illegitimate) and legally adopted but not stepchildren.
    Movable estate is pretty much everything else except property/land.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,133 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    "no one has a 'right' to inherit anything. "

I agree, but do people have the right to be considered equally? Just because someone was born earlier and so didn't need parenting by a parent's spouse is that justification for leaving siblings with unequal amounts?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    help50 wrote: »
    I started off thinking my estate should be split between my wife and my own 3 kids

And if you leave it like that then you keep it simple.

Your "half" to your kids.
    Her "half" to her and she can pass it onto her kids.

If you go first though, your "half" needs to be locked away so she can continue to live there and/or even move house "with the value of the whole money".

If she goes first then her "half" you'd then split between her kids as you see fit.

Trying to blur the lines with so many kids, in unequal portions, just complicates it.
  • maman
    Options
    ska_lover wrote: »
    I think we need more info op like Maman says

The main one for me, being, Why does your wife not work / financially contribute? & how did she come into the marriage with nothing? Does she have a disability of some kind?

It would help to know this

Exactly so. Normally, I find myself sticking up for men being used as a meal ticket but here I'm confused and concerned that the wife has her fair share.

I'm not arguing between children and step children. For me, it's not about whether OP wants to leave his assets eventually to his own children. That's fair enough. But I believe that his wife should be able to first, claim her share of the marital assets, and leave them to her own children too.
  • maman
    Options
    And if you leave it like that then you keep it simple.

Your "half" to your kids.
    Her "half" to her and she can pass it onto her kids.

If you go first though, your "half" needs to be locked away so she can continue to live there and/or even move house "with the value of the whole money".

If she goes first then her "half" you'd then split between her kids as you see fit.

Trying to blur the lines with so many kids, in unequal portions, just complicates it.

I'm glad you stressed this because OP's original post seemed to imply that all the estate was his when they're marital assets to be shared.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport