My year of living dangerously

Options

Comments

• doingitanyway
    Options
    I've just had a look at my Mac mini which is plugged into the tv.
    If you see the external hard drive logo on your desktop and nothing happens, then that's fine.

If you want to double check: go to top of your screen.
    There should be an icon that looks like a clock with a circular type arrow ..click on that.
    You will see a greyed out area telling you when the last back up was. If you want to back it up just press " back up now".
    Let us know how you get on :)...
    Thanks AC :)
    I took the external drive off as it was stressing me (with IT it doesn’t take much. :))
    I will put it back on later and let you know how it works out. :o
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    There is drizzle today but I am desperate, so I put washing out anyway.:(

Yesterday I was back at the theatre again. This was a treat from a friend. The theatre building was beautiful and the performances were good too. Fares and a drink for my friend came to just under £17 and that was for a ‘free’ night.

I am looking forward to not going out for the next few days, being low spend or no spend and getting this house cleaned up. As I am living in mess again so today I will be cleaning my kitchen and living space. I don’t know why it gets this bad. :o

I am making a vegan dish today: a Caribbean butter bean stew. I saw Jamie O. make one. I’m adapting it as I have some frozen mixed peppers I want to use up.;)

I will go for a walk later as I plan to work from a cafe for a change today.

Wishing you all a lovely day.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The meal planning sounds tasty.

Glad you had a good hair cut and pampering session.

I am crap at cleaning - so have a cleaner - we don't survive well without one. I know all the people who find it easy don't get it but I would rather work longer any day of the week than manage without her. We found we majorly cut down our spends in other areas to afford her... Just a thought.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 236 payments to go - now £183,036 Equity 26.8%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.65K
    3) CC £4.6K on 0% spends card but offset by £33.8K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £10.2K/£127.5K AVC target 8% value at 15/5
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Your theatre trip sounded really enjoyable. Slippers and stew are good too! :)

Hope your work day at the cafe was productive.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Homegrown0
    Homegrown0 Posts: 1,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I haven't been around much lately, but just caught up on your diary.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your Scotland trip - but EEK to the wild swimming at this time of year. You are one brave lady!

I think you are a bit harsh on yourself when you talk about your failure to eat well/ exercise/ spend less but you're in a period of flux and adjustment right now. I think you're trying to find your way to a new 'normal' and those steps of trial and error shouldn't be seen as failure.

Hope life is squirrel-free!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    Pay off by Xmas 2019 #02 - target £10,000
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    The meal planning sounds tasty.

Glad you had a good hair cut and pampering session.

I am crap at cleaning - so have a cleaner - we don't survive well without one. I know all the people who find it easy don't get it but I would rather work longer any day of the week than manage without her. We found we majorly cut down our spends in other areas to afford her... Just a thought.
    Thanks SH :) A cleaner will happen as it something I stress about a lot and life is too short for all that, but I need to refocus on getting a bathroom/kitchen in place first...
    Your theatre trip sounded really enjoyable. Slippers and stew are good too! :)
    Hope your work day at the cafe was productive.
    Thanks SSG :) work day in cafe did not happen! :o But it will! ;)
    Homegrown0 wrote: »
    I haven't been around much lately, but just caught up on your diary.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your Scotland trip - but EEK to the wild swimming at this time of year. You are one brave lady!

I think you are a bit harsh on yourself when you talk about your failure to eat well/ exercise/ spend less but you're in a period of flux and adjustment right now. I think you're trying to find your way to a new 'normal' and those steps of trial and error shouldn't be seen as failure.

Hope life is squirrel-free!
    Life is squirrel free (not hearing them anyway)
    I loved swimming in Scotland. Just loved it!!!
    I am harsh on myself. I hear that a lot so going to 'cut myself some slack' more often ;)

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,865 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 25 October 2019 at 10:38AM
    Options
    I have just discovered exercises classes 3Xs a week starting next week. They are all classes I like and they are nearby in a lovely old building. The classes are for 8 weeks and they are completely free. :money: All I need are some trainers so I will prioritise finding some over the weekend.

Yesterday I completed a tax refund form. I don’t have an emergency fund so whatever I get back will be used to create one. :money:

A little light-bulb moment…
    I did not eat chocolate/crisps yesterday and my desire for alcohol seems to have gone. I woke thinking I must get some more pears and apples so I seem to have switched back to healthier eating. I am not going to worry about my eating so much as poor eating rarely lasts and my default is a really healthy diet by most standards.

Today is a rinse and repeat day...work, clean, shop (for fresh fruit and veggies) and whatever else comes up ;)

I am ignoring my car which is a FROG crouching in my driveway croaking whenever I come in or leave the house. I will swallow it tomorrow as it has been outstanding long enough and I will better if I can swallow it :o

Have a good day everyone :)

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,936 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The exercise classes sound like a good find - I haven't done a proper class since I was about 20 and that was long ago. I hope they are full of nice people - the venue sounds great
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    mark88man wrote: »
    The exercise classes sound like a good find - I haven't done a proper class since I was about 20 and that was long ago. I hope they are full of nice people - the venue sounds great
    Thanks Mark88man :) I don't think you need classes if you are doing your steps. I just need something to get me going...

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,936 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks Mark88man :) I don't think you need classes if you are doing your steps. I just need something to get me going...

That's nice of you to say, but I suspect my steps might be considered as only a warm up to a proper class!!
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills