My year of living dangerously

Options

Comments

• doingitanyway
    Options
    A squirrel is bouncing around my garden but it is okay as traps are there and I have done what I can. That makes me feel calmer…

I am adapting to a different lifestyle with less money and it is early days but I am still not entirely getting it. :o

Yesterday I had a lovely theatre trip followed by a meal and then cake and coffee. I paid for one, my friend paid for the other, all very fair and nothing excessive. But adding on some face oil from the health shop and all together it is £66. That is not a fortune considering (I got the tickets ages ago so much cheaper) but I don’t have the income to support it, so it needs to change. It does. More awareness is the first step although I am sure if you read my diary you are getting bored of my continual failure in this area of my life. :o

Returning a pair of shoes that are a huge bargain but I am not 100% sure so that money can go back into my account. I can claim success in this area, as now, unless I am 100% sure about purchases I take them straight back. :money:

Going off AGAIN now to return my shoes and get my duvet back.

Have a lovely Sunday everyone :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,634 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy Sunday:)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • another_casualty
    another_casualty Posts: 6,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 October 2019 at 3:53PM
    Options
    Glad you had a good time at the theatre DIA .
    Regarding the squirrels : I'd say get the builder around to do the fascias if you can .
    , just incase others may come in the future . Hopefully I'm over thinking , but I'm always the ' safe than sorry ' type if that makes any sense .
    Anyway, have a good week..
  • Mrs_Boo_Boo
    Options
    Have just caught up on your progress.
    You are doing so well.
    I read your posts and can identify with so much. Little things are always a battle and very stressful. Still we do get them done,eventually. Going with your gut reaction is a good technique. I am the same,if it doesn't feel right with the tradesperson then I won't go with them.
    Good news about the duvet refund. Yes if you can find a launderette next time it will be so much cheaper and if you do it in the summer you won't have to pay to use the dryer. I have lots of spare pillows which have been washed and I plan to buy some new cambric and amalgamate the filling to make some new ones. Never get the time though. Something more urgent always gets in the way. Need to take a leaf out of a friend's book. She bought lampshades and scarves from a charity shop and then carefully stuck strips of fabric into the pleated part of the shade. She did this in very small steps when she had 10 mins or so and eventually got there. I think I need long periods of time to get things done, so never start them.

Anyway have a good weekend.
  • Sunshine_girl2
    Options
    Hope your week away has been good.
    Debt free April 26th 2021

• Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    I like your diary xx I hope you have had a lovely time away XX

Hope the squirrels disappear XX
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Glad you had a good time at the theatre DIA .
    Regarding the squirrels : I'd say get the builder around to do the fascias if you can .
    , just incase others may come in the future . Hopefully I'm over thinking , but I'm always the ' safe than sorry ' type if that makes any sense .
    Anyway, have a good week..
    Yes, AC thanks :) I will prioritise the fascias and future proof against squirrels. Also don't want this job to put off house buyers.
    Have just caught up on your progress.
    You are doing so well.
    I read your posts and can identify with so much. Little things are always a battle and very stressful. Still we do get them done,eventually. Going with your gut reaction is a good technique. I am the same,if it doesn't feel right with the tradesperson then I won't go with them.
    Good news about the duvet refund. Yes if you can find a launderette next time it will be so much cheaper and if you do it in the summer you won't have to pay to use the dryer. I have lots of spare pillows which have been washed and I plan to buy some new cambric and amalgamate the filling to make some new ones. Never get the time though. Something more urgent always gets in the way. Need to take a leaf out of a friend's book. She bought lampshades and scarves from a charity shop and then carefully stuck strips of fabric into the pleated part of the shade. She did this in very small steps when she had 10 mins or so and eventually got there. I think I need long periods of time to get things done, so never start them.

Anyway have a good weekend.
    Thanks Mrs Boo Boo. :) Yes I see myself in your diary too. I like the idea of doing a project slowly over time like your friend but I am a bit all or nothing and lack patience :o
    Next year the quilts will be line dried. I do need a washing line first :rotfl:
    I like your diary xx I hope you have had a lovely time away XX

Hope the squirrels disappear XX
    Thanks Buffy and I haven't seen/heard a squirrel but not long back home so I don't want to talk too soon ;)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    I had a glorious break in Scotland. It is such a beautiful country. I did some really good creative work there as expected, but the highlight was swimming in the wild every morning at 8am. Yes, it was cold but I had a happy buzz all day! :D

Back to reality and there seems so much to do! The house! :eek: My finances :eek:

I turned down a restaurant invitation in November. No excuses/reasons, just, I won't be able to make it. After fares I have saved £50/£60 saying no to something I don't want to do anyway ;)

I have my duvets back and had a warm and comfortable night :)

Started by unpacking, loading the washing machine and cleaning/organising the house.

There is no food in so I have done an online order to make life easier. I have done a meal plan too. The delivery is Tuesday and until then I will make do with freezer stuff.

I did some creative work this morning for a few hours. ;)

I need to sort the car (every time I mention that on here my email provider sends me RAC advertising when I log in, unnerving and starting to put me off posting…)

I am going back to frog eating as it gets me motivated to make change. I will back in the morning with 3 frogs to eat by the end of the day :)

Happy Sunday everyone :)

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,936 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Swimming, at 8am in the morning, in October, in Scotland - no wonder you were buzzing - I've got goosebumps just thinking about that
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good to see you back and feeling positive. Wild swimming sounds shivery but amazing.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 236 payments to go - now £183,036 Equity 26.8%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.65K
    3) CC £4.6K on 0% spends card but offset by £33.8K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £10.2K/£127.5K AVC target 8% value at 15/5
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport