Giving up/ Cutting Down Alcohol Thread Part 16

Options

Comments

• pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm still here. Just haven't been on here this week.

I am up to 4/5 for the SNC, 14 for the month and wait for it, 159 for the year!!! Which was my total for the whole of 2018, so super chuffed with myself!

Was watching something the other day, but can't remember what it was, but a few lines at the start resonated with me. The lady/girl in it said, "One of the few things that's good about being an alcoholic... You always have something to do."

Racking my brains to think where it was from!
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    20/23 AFDs today
  • maggiem
    maggiem Posts: 1,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    5/20 please - getting better I hope.
  • loveasale
    Options
    Busy day at work ,,
    21/20 & 5/5 SNC X
    :money: I will never be rich but I'm happy :rotfl:
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,378 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Morning all, 21/21 for me today :)
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    shaggydoo wrote: »
    Love a Scandi Noir too and adore West Wing. We own the West Wing box set on dvd.....it's great to have a rewatch every now and again.We might have missed it butent there hasn't really been a good Scandi Noir for awhile now. We used to enjoy Spin - the French political drama - too.

We've got the DVDs of West Wing too, Shaggy. I managed to scavange all of them from a market stall over several years so I must go back and see what else they've got. Haven't heard of Spin, so I'll check that out. There have been a few that just don't work for us, notably Montalbano and Wallender. Maybe we'll grow into them. And I agree - we're sadly lacking in the Scandi Noirs at the moment. But, good news, according to my next door neighbour, Caroline Proust has agreed to do another Spiral, which rather surprises me because the long story arc went where it was inevitably always going to go so came to a natural ending but is very welcome. Let's hope they do themselves proud again.
    cathybird wrote: »
    "Follow the Money" on BBC Four was good, though the third series was pretty dark, even for a Scandi Noir - that was earlier this year. There's a lot of Scandi and other noir on Walter Presents, though I haven't really looked there for a while! Some people spoke highly of "Those Who Kill", which was on BBC Four not so long ago, but it was too dark for me, I stopped watching.

OH says we watched Follow the Money but I don't remember anything about it. Maybe time to give that another (sober) airing. Thanks for that CathyBird.

Marahourti, cutting down a lot or giving up booze changes behaviour in ways we don't realise, and other people pick up on that. Some of them feel threatened by it and it sounds as though your OH has decided that it's best if he removes himself from your company to indulge, which I think I'd do if OH had gone all Clean Living on me when I was at my most self-indulgent. It'll probably sort itself out as long as you give him some space and absolutely make the most of enjoying your new found way of living. 38 years is a long time, and a great investment of commitment, not something he'll want to risk by cutting himself off completely.

Good to see you posting again Annie and Pollyanna.

I'm very, very busy with the general election so I may not be around much for a few weeks. What's so puzzling is how I ever managed to keep going in the olden days, or whether I'm achieving more now than I ever did then, which is more likely. I'm certainly more decisive and as a result more focussed and determined, working outside my comfort zone but just getting on with it. Onwards and upwards.

22/30 please, Shaggy.
    Better is good enough.
  • marahouti
    marahouti Posts: 1,581 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Good morning everyone. 21/21 and 5/5 SNC please Shaggy. Thank you.
    Target met but I'm carrying on for as many days as I can for two reasons. Number one, Cathybird pointed out that 200 AF days since I joined the thread in April was doable if I did 42 days in November and December and I really want to achieve that. Number two, I am supporting a colleague who is doing her annual attempt at a dry November (she calls it 'No-vin-ber'). She has never managed more than 17 days before but thus far has not had a drink; she says because of my support. I've warned her that I probably won't do the full 30 but I'll do what I can. Mara the mentor who'd have thunk it?!
  • marahouti
    marahouti Posts: 1,581 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Thank you Honey Bear wise words as always. X
  • loveasale
    Options
    Are you a local candidate HB ?
    :money: I will never be rich but I'm happy :rotfl:
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,378 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Honey_Bear wrote: »
    But, good news, according to my next door neighbour, Caroline Proust has agreed to do another Spiral, which rather surprises me because the long story arc went where it was inevitably always going to go so came to a natural ending but is very welcome. Let's hope they do themselves proud again.

OH says we watched Follow the Money but I don't remember anything about it. Maybe time to give that another (sober) airing. Thanks for that CathyBird.

A pleasure! Follow the Money was on the Beeb so not sure if it's still around on iPlayer - the earlier series almost certainly aren't. I should say I didn't think it was quite as good as The Killing or The Bridge. But I love Thomas Hwan, who had a lead role in it.

The even more good news on Spiral is they have just finished filming series 8, though I suspect it won't be screened in the UK until this time next year.
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport