TV faulty after less than 6 months.

Options

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    deethebee wrote: »
    But that isn't what Argos have done here. They have fobbed the OP off and told him to contact the manufacturer when they should be taking responsibility for the item themselves. When he took the TV to the store they should have taken it from him and dealt with it themselves instead of telling him to sort it out with the manufacturer. The issue here is that Argos are not doing what they are legally obliged to do - not with the OP.
    And we agree that it's their responsibility but there's absolutely no guarantee that the OP wouldn't be in the same situation currently, in fact he could well be experiencing a longer delay with the Argos having to contact the manufacturer and send it off for a service repair. At least the OP is in direct contact with the manufacturer to find out what's going on and may be able to handle it quicker themselves, that's all we saying. More to the point, the OP's statutory rights have not been effected.

I'll give you a quick example. A few years back I had a Samsung TV that I got from John Lewis which developed a fault under warranty. I contacted JL to sort it and it took about a week before it was picked up and taken to the local service centre where I had to wait a further week or so until it was repaired. Last year my Panasonic TV in it's last year of it's manufacturer based 6 year warranty started to have problems so I contacted Panasonic directly who gave me their service agents number, which I called and it was picked up the very next day and repaired a week later. This was the same service centre that fixed my Samsung earlier but because JL were dealing with themselves there was an inevitable delay in getting it initially picked up and dealt with by them. As I keep saying, sometimes it can be quicker to deal with the manufacturer, and/or their agents directly.
  • deethebee
    deethebee Posts: 233 Forumite
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    And we agree that it's their responsibility but there's absolutely no guarantee that the OP wouldn't be in the same situation currently, in fact he could well be experiencing a longer delay with the Argos having to contact the manufacturer and send it off for a service repair. At least the OP is in direct contact with the manufacturer to find out what's going on and may be able to handle it quicker themselves, that's all we saying. More to the point, the OP's statutory rights have not been effected.

I'll give you a quick example. A few years back I had a Samsung TV that I got from John Lewis which developed a fault under warranty. I contacted JL to sort it and it took about a week before it was picked up and taken to the local service centre where I had to wait a further week or so until it was repaired. Last year my Panasonic TV in it's last year of it's manufacturer based 6 year warranty started to have problems so I contacted Panasonic directly who gave me their service agents number, which I called and it was picked up the very next day and repaired a week later. This was the same service centre that fixed my Samsung earlier but because JL were dealing with themselves there was an inevitable delay in getting it initially picked up and dealt with by them. As I keep saying, sometimes it can be quicker to deal with the manufacturer, and/or their agents directly.

The OP asked a question on whose responsibility it is - I think that's been answered. He now knows his options and rights and can decide what he wants to do. Look at the mess this thread has turned into and that the OP has got to trawl through for a question with a very simple answer. The aim is to HELP the OP, not argue over irrelevant points.
  • Edithgrand
    Edithgrand Posts: 71 Forumite
    Options
    Spare parts are far and few for Hisense tv's.So when eventually when it gets looked it it may well be replaced or refunded.

You didn't say what your fault/complaint with the tv was?
  • WTF64
    WTF64 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options

I'll give you a quick example. A few years back I had a Samsung TV that I got from John Lewis which developed a fault under warranty. I contacted JL to sort it and it took about a week before it was picked up and taken to the local service centre where I had to wait a further week or so until it was repaired. Last year my Panasonic TV in it's last year of it's manufacturer based 6 year warranty started to have problems so I contacted Panasonic directly who gave me their service agents number, which I called and it was picked up the very next day and repaired a week later.

As it was a manufacturer based warranty, not a 'standard' shop warranty, you'd be wasting your time going back to the shop nearly 6 years after buying it wouldn't you? Not a very good example neil.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    WTF64 wrote: »
    As it was a manufacturer based warranty, not a 'standard' shop warranty, you'd be wasting your time going back to the shop nearly 6 years after buying it wouldn't you? Not a very good example neil.

I think the point is that getting a manufacturer to repair something under warranty can often be far quicker and less hassle than using your statutory rights and insisting that the retailer deals with it.

In the case at hand, the OP could insist that Argos deal with the matter, something that may involve the TV having to be returned to Argos who in turn arrange for the manufacturer or their repair agent to collect it, fix it and return it back to Argos who then contact the OP to inform them that their TV is ready to be picked up.
    Alternatively, the OP could go directly to the manufacturer and there is a good possibility that they will get a repaired or replaced TV set in a far shorter time.
  • prl100
    prl100 Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Alternatively, the OP could go directly to the manufacturer and there is a good possibility that they will get a repaired or replaced TV set in a far shorter time.

A few people have made this similar point that dealing with the manufacturer may be more convenient, but I don't personally think that waiting in for an engineer (or courier) to come to the house is convenient. Much easier to drop the item off at Argos and go back for it when sorted.

Additionally your consumer rights become muddled. If you have to have a repair, provided by the retailer and within 6 months the product becomes faulty again, you can reject the goods.

(see link below)

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-faulty-product#how-long-do-i-have-to-return-a-faulty-product

If you cut out the retailer and instead go directly through the manufacturer then I can't see how this could be enforced as the retailer has never provided any kind of remedy to start with.
  • neilmcl
    Options
    WTF64 wrote: »
    The point I made was that it's often quicker to deal direct with the manufacturer and service agent yourself rather if you add a retailer into the mix and wait for them to do the same on your behalf. I thought that was obvious, clearly not for you, apologies.
  • neilmcl
    edited 7 April 2019 at 12:34AM
    Options
    prl100 wrote: »
    A few people have made this similar point that dealing with the manufacturer may be more convenient, but I don't personally think that waiting in for an engineer (or courier) to come to the house is convenient. Much easier to drop the item off at Argos and go back for it when sorted.

Additionally your consumer rights become muddled. If you have to have a repair, provided by the retailer and within 6 months the product becomes faulty again, you can reject the goods.

(see link below)

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-faulty-product#how-long-do-i-have-to-return-a-faulty-product

If you cut out the retailer and instead go directly through the manufacturer then I can't see how this could be enforced as the retailer has never provided any kind of remedy to start with.
    Nobody has suggested "cutting out" the retailer, and this hasn't happened in the OP's case.

Also it's pretty much swings and roundabouts regarding the convenience argument. If I had an issue with my 50" plasma it would be a helluva lot more convenient to have it picked up by a service agent rather than trying to trudge it down to a high street retailer. And what if the "item" is something more substantial, a washing machine for example.
  • neilmcl
    Options
    I think the point is that getting a manufacturer to repair something under warranty can often be far quicker and less hassle than using your statutory rights and insisting that the retailer deals with it.

In the case at hand, the OP could insist that Argos deal with the matter, something that may involve the TV having to be returned to Argos who in turn arrange for the manufacturer or their repair agent to collect it, fix it and return it back to Argos who then contact the OP to inform them that their TV is ready to be picked up.
    Which has been explained from the outset, it's a shame some people are having trouble getting this point.
  • deethebee
    deethebee Posts: 233 Forumite
    edited 7 April 2019 at 3:52AM
    Options
    Nobody has suggested "cutting out" the retailer, and this hasn't happened in the OP's case.

Yes, pretty much all of you have suggested "cutting out the retailer" and going direct to the manufacturer and yes that has happened in this case. Argos refused to deal with the TV and told the OP to contact the manufacturer i.e. no involvement by them
    neilmcl wrote:
    Which has been explained from the outset, it's a shame some people are having trouble getting this point.

No one has had trouble getting this point. I understand that you are of the opinion that going to the manufacturer is often quicker than getting the retailer to deal with an issue, but that does not mean that it is right in every case (if at all). The OP stated in his post he'd already been in touch with the manufacturer and hasn't heard back from them and asked who should be taking responsibility. Even if it "is often quicker" to go via the manufacturer in a few people's opinion, it was also pointed out that he may likely be able to get a refund or replacement outright if he made Argos deal with it (no guarantee in either scenario). It's you who is not getting the point of his post or the information given that offers a different point of view to yours. All options should be offered to people asking for help and allowed to decide the best course of action for themselves, instead of this majority view that they should do as you say because your point of view is the only one that can be right.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure