We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

TV faulty after less than 6 months.

Options

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Point is the vendor is well within their rights to inspect .
    Otherwise we would all be going around with 5 month old TVs etc .
    Deethebee seems to be claiming vendors have no right to inspect and must refund or replace without question.
  • deethebee
    deethebee Posts: 233 Forumite
    edited 5 April 2019 at 7:53PM
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote:
    Deethebee seems to be claiming vendors have no right to inspect and must refund or replace without question.

False. I did not say that anywhere - please provide proof of this claim.
  • deethebee
    edited 5 April 2019 at 6:10PM
    Options
    Let's also not get off track and recall what the OP's actual questions were:
    Can I legally get a replacement from Argos or a refund?

Shouldn't Argos deal with the repair?

Yes, Argos should deal with the repair. Yes, he can get a refund or a replacement if Argos agree to it. No more really needs to be said on it. Suggesting he go to the manufacturer as it "might be quicker" is no good to him OR helpful as 1. This isn't what he asked and 2. He's already contacted the manufacturer and been inconvenienced by them not getting back to him. He's waited 3 days with no contact and if Argos had taken responsibility in the first instance he may already have the issue resolved or at least be in the process of a repair.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    deethebee wrote: »
    That's your opinion and I don't know what experience you are basing that on but I've purchased from Argos on a large number of occasions and I'm well aware of how they tend to handle returns. Their contract is with Argos and they are well within their rights to put it to Argos to remedy it. Like I said, any time I've returned a faulty product to Argos they have replaced it outright or refunded. No messing about with repairs and getting manufacturers involved. In fact this has been the case with many retailers. Probably because it's easier for them to do this and I can name a number of occasions this has happened. If the customer wants to go through the manufacturer for the repair, fine by me. But they may well find that when they make it clear with Argos that they are responsible for remedying the issue, they will replace or refund. Personally I would always push the retailer on it first as there's a VERY good chance they will replace or refund.

I'm not sure how anyone could say what a retailer will do for definite. Even Argos's returns policy is not that black and white:

Out of interest, why do you continue to shop at Argos if you have had to return so many faulty items? In the last thirty years I've had one tumble dryer which failed after a couple of years (JL repaired), one tablet which failed within a couple of months (Amazon replaced after a 2 minute call) and another tablet which was three years old and Amazon replaced after another two minute call, probably because I'm a prolific buyer on their site. That's it - three items that failed prematurely in three decades.
  • deethebee
    edited 5 April 2019 at 7:21PM
    Options
    LilElvis wrote: »
    Out of interest, why do you continue to shop at Argos if you have had to return so many faulty items? In the last thirty years I've had one tumble dryer which failed after a couple of years (JL repaired), one tablet which failed within a couple of months (Amazon replaced after a 2 minute call) and another tablet which was three years old and Amazon replaced after another two minute call, probably because I'm a prolific buyer on their site. That's it - three items that failed prematurely in three decades.

ARGOS mostly sell other brands items so it's not their fault if items they sell fail so why would I stop buying from them if they have something I want or need? You're very lucky to have only bought 3 faulty items in 30 years :)
  • LilElvis
    Options
    ARGOS mostly sell other brands items so it's not their fault if items they sell fail. You're very lucky to have only bought 3 faulty items in 30 years :)

I must choose better brands.
  • LilElvis
    Options
    ARGOS mostly sell other brands items so it's not their fault if items they sell fail so why would I stop buying from them if they have something I want or need? You're very lucky to have only bought 3 faulty items in 30 years :)

As you've amended your post I will do likewise.

If Argos sell brands whose items fail then it is entirely their fault. They are not forced to sell brands with a poor failure/ longevity rate - they choose to sell those brands. So, why would you then choose to continue to buy from a seller who cares so little for their customers?
  • deethebee
    edited 5 April 2019 at 9:56PM
    Options
    LilElvis wrote: »
    As you've amended your post I will do likewise.

If Argos sell brands whose items fail then it is entirely their fault. They are not forced to sell brands with a poor failure/ longevity rate - they choose to sell those brands. So, why would you then choose to continue to buy from a seller who cares so little for their customers?

That would suggest that I'm buying the same items/brands from them and if that were the case then I'd agree with you, but I'm not and I don't. I'm sure if they were getting customers returning numerous of the same items or brands then they would re-think selling them. However, not EVERY item I've bought from Argos has been faulty and as I explained above - they're pretty good with their returns - so I'd rather buy an item from them knowing I would be able to return it easily if it failed, than buying the same item from a different company whose customer service is not something I'm privy to. I don't browse the Argos catalogues and decide I want to buy something they're selling. I usually decide on an item/brand I want and then decide WHO I want to purchase it from. Thank you and cheerio.
  • Grey_Critic
    Grey_Critic Posts: 1,338 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Argos is a retail outlet - whilst they are responsible they use a third party to carry out the repairs. They are just like other shops. Currys do the same. Replace or repair? they are within their rights to opt for repair in the first instance, if the contracted repairer decides it cannot be repaired then Argos on receipt of the report will replace. Rather think you are making a big issue of something that is quite normal.
  • deethebee
    Options
    Argos is a retail outlet - whilst they are responsible they use a third party to carry out the repairs. They are just like other shops. Currys do the same. Replace or repair? they are within their rights to opt for repair in the first instance, if the contracted repairer decides it cannot be repaired then Argos on receipt of the report will replace. Rather think you are making a big issue of something that is quite normal.

But that isn't what Argos have done here. They have fobbed the OP off and told him to contact the manufacturer when they should be taking responsibility for the item themselves. When he took the TV to the store they should have taken it from him and dealt with it themselves instead of telling him to sort it out with the manufacturer. The issue here is that Argos are not doing what they are legally obliged to do - not with the OP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport