We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

TV faulty after less than 6 months.

Options
Hi, I purchased a HiSense TV from Argos in November 2018 (less than 6 months) it has since developed a fault, I took it back to the store for a replacement but they told me I had to contact the manufacturer for a repair.

I've contacted Hisense and they said their outsourced repair contractor would contact me within 24-48 hours, they have not after 72+ hours.

This has caused inconvenience and will I assume cause more assuming I'd have to wait in for the repair.

Can I legally get a replacement from Argos or a refund?

Shouldn't Argos deal with the repair?

Thanks.

Comments

• LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi, I purchased a HiSense TV from Argos in November 2018 (less than 6 months) it has since developed a fault, I took it back to the store for a replacement but they told me I had to contact the manufacturer for a repair.

I've contacted Hisense and they said their outsourced repair contractor would contact me within 24-48 hours, they have not after 72+ hours.

This has caused inconvenience and will I assume cause more assuming I'd have to wait in for the repair.

Can I legally get a replacement from Argos or a refund?

Shouldn't Argos deal with the repair?

Thanks.

Argos have the right to offer a repair. You could insist that Argos deal with it, but this will likely just cause a lengthening of the time it takes. You have the right to a refund only if the repair fails.
  • deethebee
    deethebee Posts: 233 Forumite
    edited 5 April 2019 at 4:12PM
    Options
    You're right, Argos should deal with it as your contract is with them so don't let them fob you off and tell you to go to the manufacturer. It seems unlikely that Argos would offer a repair themselves as they have never done this when I've had a faulty item, and if they can't then they should give you either a replacement or a refund. They may offer a repair, but very unlikely in my experience. This is the benefit of having a contract with the retailer I feel. Because they're just selling on products that they don't make themselves (mostly anyway), the easiest thing for them to do is offer a replacement or refund and deal with the manufacturer themselves. I would definitely push Argos to deal with it.

Check out this link for more info: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange/
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    deethebee wrote: »
    You're right, Argos should deal with it as your contract is with them so don't let them fob you off and tell you to go to the manufacturer. How long have you had the TV exactly? It seems unlikely that Argos would offer a repair themselves as they have never done this when I've had a faulty item, and if they can't then they should give you either a replacement or a refund. They may offer a repair, but very unlikely in my experience. This is the benefit of having a contract with the retailer I feel. Because they're just selling on products that they don't make themselves (mostly anyway), the easiest thing for them to do is offer a replacement or refund and deal with the manufacturer themselves. I would definitely push Argos to deal with it.

Check out this link for more info: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange/
    No, what they would do is contact the manufacturer, or manufacturer's service agents, and get them to repair it. Yes, whilst I agree it's the retailer's responsibility to arrange this, quite often it's as quick to speak to the manufacturer yourself and arrange this rather than go round the houses with the retailer doing it on your behalf.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    User >Manufacturer.>> Service Repair .

User > Argos > Argos customer services >> Manufacturer >> Service Repair .

Pushing Argos to deal with it they will want to examine and are more than likely to send to manufacturer to examine .
  • deethebee
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    No, what they would do is contact the manufacturer, or manufacturer's service agents, and get them to repair it. Yes, whilst I agree it's the retailer's responsibility to arrange this, quite often it's as quick to speak to the manufacturer yourself and arrange this rather than go round the houses with the retailer doing it on your behalf.

That's your opinion and I don't know what experience you are basing that on but I've purchased from Argos on a large number of occasions and I'm well aware of how they tend to handle returns. Their contract is with Argos and they are well within their rights to put it to Argos to remedy it. Like I said, any time I've returned a faulty product to Argos they have replaced it outright or refunded. No messing about with repairs and getting manufacturers involved. In fact this has been the case with many retailers. Probably because it's easier for them to do this and I can name a number of occasions this has happened. If the customer wants to go through the manufacturer for the repair, fine by me. But they may well find that when they make it clear with Argos that they are responsible for remedying the issue, they will replace or refund. Personally I would always push the retailer on it first as there's a VERY good chance they will replace or refund.

I'm not sure how anyone could say what a retailer will do for definite. Even Argos's returns policy is not that black and white:
    Argos wrote:
    We’ll assess what’s wrong and then, if possible, we may arrange for it to be repaired.
    If it’s faulty, we’ll fix it, replace it or give you all or some of your money back depending on how long the product might reasonably be expected to last. But after 6 months we might need you to prove that it was faulty at the time when you bought it, collected it or had it delivered.
  • neilmcl
    Options
    That's your opinion and I don't know what experience you are basing that on but I've purchased from Argos on a large number of occasions and I'm well aware of how they tend to handle returns. Their contract is with Argos and they are well within their rights to put it to Argos to remedy it. Like I said, any time I've returned a faulty product to Argos they have replaced it outright or refunded. No messing about with repairs and getting manufacturers involved. In fact this has been the case with many retailers. Probably because it's easier for them to do this and I can name a number of occasions this has happened. If the customer wants to go through the manufacturer for the repair, fine by me. But they may well find that when they make it clear with Argos that they are responsible for remedying the issue, they will replace or refund. Personally I would always push the retailer on it first as there's a VERY good chance they will replace or refund.

I'm not sure how anyone could say what a retailer will do for definite. Even Argos's returns policy is not that black and white:
    Most retailers, and Argos are no exception, would look at repairing a big ticket item, such as TV in the first instance if it became faulty within this period. Sure if it was faulty straight out of the box or within a couple of weeks I'm sure they might behave differently.
  • deethebee
    edited 5 April 2019 at 4:19PM
    Options
    Most retailers, and Argos are no exception, would look at repairing a big ticket item, such as TV in the first instance if it became faulty within this period. Sure if it was faulty straight out of the box or within a couple of weeks I'm sure they might behave differently.

Firstly, I would ask you to please provide some evidence of this claim. I have purchased a range of products from Argos and other retailers over the years and have rarely been pushed for a repair (including big ticket items).

Secondly, the OP has not stipulated how much the item cost so telling them straight away to go to the manufacturer when we don't even know the full details isn't giving them an accurate representation of what may happen (Argos's HiSense TV range ranges in price from £209-£1249).
  • neilmcl
    Options
    Firstly, I would ask you to please provide some evidence of this claim. I have purchased a range of products from Argos and other retailers over the years and have rarely been pushed for a repair (including big ticket items).

Secondly, the OP has not stipulated how much the item cost so telling them straight away to go to the manufacturer when we don't even know the full details isn't giving them an accurate representation of what may happen.
    The OP has already stated what has happened, Argos has pushed them onto the manufacturer, and whilst I totally agree it's entirely their (Argos) responsibility to provide a remedy quite often it's easier to speak to the manufacturer's service agent directly yourself. Also, by doing so doesn't remove any of your legal rights and may just get the issue resolved much quicker.
  • neilmcl
    Options

Secondly, the OP has not stipulated how much the item cost so telling them straight away to go to the manufacturer when we don't even know the full details isn't giving them an accurate representation of what may happen (Argos's HiSense TV range ranges in price from £209-£1249).
    Don't need to provide evidence, just read the many hundreds of posts on here going back years showing retailers doing just this.

Please tell me your experience of taking back a large screen TV nearly 6 months old to Argos and them giving you a full refund straight away.
  • deethebee
    edited 5 April 2019 at 4:47PM
    Options
    The OP has already stated what has happened, Argos has pushed them onto the manufacturer, and whilst I totally agree it's entirely their (Argos) responsibility to provide a remedy quite often it's easier to speak to the manufacturer's service agent directly yourself. Also, by doing so doesn't remove any of your legal rights and may just get the issue resolved much quicker.

The OP stated what Argos said when he went to them in the first instance. He hasn't yet pushed them to remedy it as his contract is with them, so we don't yet know if they will offer a repair, replacement or refund. In your opinion he may get the issue resolved quicker, but he also may not.
    neilmcl wrote:
    Don't need to provide evidence, just read the many hundreds of posts on here going back years showing retailers doing just this.

Please tell me your experience of taking back a large screen TV nearly 6 months old to Argos and them giving you a full refund straight away.

As I already said, the OP has not said how much the TV cost or that it was even a large screen TV. The range starts at £209 for a 32" TV and finishes at £1249 for a 75" TV. I don't consider 32" to be large screen nor do I consider £209 to be expensive. I don't think that hundreds of posts over years would mean that this is typical of what retailers do in any case, considering retailers sell millions of items every year. Plus, do you think a customer who has received a refund would come on here and post of their experience? All you're getting is the complaints which, in comparison to sales, is minimal. I find it quite strange how when I make a statement on this forum I'm told I must provide evidence to back it up. But when others do the same and are asked to provide evidence, the response is "I don't have to provide evidence".

I can't give an example of what you're asking because I haven't bought a large screen TV that has become faulty as yet. I have, however, bought other more expensive items and upon insisting that they take responsibility I have been given a replacement or a refund.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport