🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

(NON FINANCIAL) Retirement plans/ dreams/ discussion.

Options

Comments

• bugslett
    bugslett Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    A motor home is usually coach built, no longer looks anything like the underlying vehicle, is bigger (sometimes enormous), but that means there can be room for a loo and shower. Not that easy to drive/park and very thirsty due to the weight. Not great in high winds.
    A camper requires you to be careful and efficient with your luggage - everything bijoux.

Like a Hymer or Niesmann

https://www.niesmann-bischoff.com/en/smove/

As for the not easy to drive or high winds, well I'm a trucker still at heart, no problem at all!
    Yes I'm bugslet, I lost my original log in details and old e-mail address.
  • Crabby
    Crabby Posts: 858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's very nice, but looking at the catalogue it's only got 2 gas rings and no oven.
    Winner winner, Chicken dinner.
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,102 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    And where does the concierge sit?!
  • sheslookinhot
    sheslookinhot Posts: 1,994 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I fancied a camper van, VW Transporter conversion. After hiring one and our aim to tour the European Mediterranean countries and Portugal, we have realised that a smallish motor home is the way to go. I hope to buy something within a few years and head off for our long adventures.
    Mortgage free
    Vocational freedom has arrived
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Options
    bluenose1 wrote: »
    Hi,
    not sure if anyone wants to join in but on Bugslett suggestion:beer: thought we could have a thread to discuss lifestyles, hobbies, travel, interests etc etc that we pursue or intend to when we retire.

I am 2 years and 2 months away from retiring at 55. I change my mind regularly, though at moment hoping to downsize and be on holiday for several months of the year. I wonder after a couple of years of retirement, when my youngest who is 16 is more independent we will choose to base ourselves abroad, Brexit allowing of course.
    I run (very slowly) or volunteer to marshall at a weekly local Parkrun and love the social side of the cake, coffee and chat afterwards. Have met some lovely people from all different walks of life and it always cheers me up.
    Really looking forward to retiring but fear the loss of income in case I need more money to help kids out with more than I thought for deposits on houses etc etc.

University and life are expensive.

I'd wait until youngest is at least 19 or finished university if going.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,680 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    atush wrote: »
    University and life are expensive.

I'd wait until youngest is at least 19 or finished university if going.

The 'finished uni' point is my current target - unfortunately she is aiming for a 5 (or maybe 6) year course where it is not uncommon to not get in first time round. She has always wanted to be a vet.
    In first time and 5 year course takes us to age 58 so still 6 years of employment to handle
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • OldBeanz
    OldBeanz Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Crabby wrote: »
    It's very nice, but looking at the catalogue it's only got 2 gas rings and no oven.

European vans tend not to have ovens while any imported to the UK will have. European concept is to have a barbecue and cook outside.
    I agree with the concept of small but once you have a fixed bed, garage for all your chairs, tables bikes etc, shower and toilet, as well as sitting area then "small" is relative.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Options
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    I did 2 RHS Horticulture courses (standard plus advanced but I think they use level numbers now) and then a BTEC in garden design back when my DD was a toddler. I didn't want to work full time but I needed to interact with adults and I was a homeworker. It was a great time - some of us on the design course made up a team and did a garden at Chelsea which was an amazing experience. We were just pipped for a gold for really nit picking reasons but got a lovely letter from Prince Charles saying it was his favourite garden that year. Retirement will definitely mean more garden time.

How exciting to do a garden at Chelsea!

I took computer courses when my twins went to kindergarden in t he late 90's. Did Word and xcel at first, then went on to more advanced stuff like databases and basic programming. Just to keep my mind active lol.
  • MallyGirl
    Options
    OldBeanz wrote: »
    European vans tend not to have ovens while any imported to the UK will have. European concept is to have a barbecue and cook outside.
    I agree with the concept of small but once you have a fixed bed, garage for all your chairs, tables bikes etc, shower and toilet, as well as sitting area then "small" is relative.

our camper has a small hob but we will get a BBQ to cook outside so we don't stink out the van. The fridge is mostly for milk and ice for G&Ts.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
  • MallyGirl
    Options
    atush wrote: »
    How exciting to do a garden at Chelsea!

I took computer courses when my twins went to kindergarden in t he late 90's. Did Word and xcel at first, then went on to more advanced stuff like databases and basic programming. Just to keep my mind active lol.

Chelsea was amazing - turning a completely blank space into a cottage garden with a cotswold flint cottage (fascia only) in 9 days was hard work but something totally new. We had to grow all the plants too as we had a tiny budget.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure