🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

(NON FINANCIAL) Retirement plans/ dreams/ discussion.

Options

Comments

• bluenose1
    bluenose1 Posts: 2,694 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    GunJack wrote: »
    So much to catch up with in this thread, it's been a brill read :)

My retirement plans include (but are not limited to):-

1. grow old disgracefully with Mrs. G-J :)

2. Read!! - have had so little time to read properly recently. I like to get comfy and blast through a typical novel in 1-2 days, and I'm stacking up books ready for when the time comes.

3. Motorcycling - need to get back into it after many, many years of not doing so, and will need to pass my test to take Mrs. G-J on the back (which is on her bucket list :) )

4. See 1 ;)

5. Get fit & lose weight - This is both a WANT and a NEED (to help with 1, 4 and 6) - I was super-fit until I bashed my knee up at 19, which (good old NHS :mad: ) finally got replaced at 48. Currently waiting for the other knee to be replaced which doesn't help, but being retired will give me chance for walking, swimming and poss tai chi - always wanted to do this, but the only local classes are daytime :(

6. See 1 & 4 :D

7. Travel - we're currently, slowly, creating a UK list and a rest-of-world list of places we want to go, and will have to include at least one cruise for Mrs. G-J <3

8. Go and watch lots more live rugby league

9. See 1, 4, & 6 ;):):D
    That'll keep me (and Mrs. G-J) busy for a good while but as I said, it's not definitive :)

Agree, on most of them. Though not sure I have your energy;)
    I used to be an avid reader and read a book within a couple of days but tend to only read before I go to sleep currently. Hadn't really thought of that but will be great to have more time to read books.

A definite no for the motorcycle. I am a nervous passenger in a car, despite as my oh always tells me he was an advanced driver as part of his police role.

Definitely want to get fitter. My oh retired a couple of years ago so is already super fit. Don't need to lose weight as both of us in our 50s are at our lightest adult weights cos of Intermittent fasting, can't recommend it enough. Cheap to do and saves time.

Definitely lots of travel in our plans, UK, EU and long haul, though until our youngest is 18 in 2 years won't be able to do much on our own. I then intend to find long term holiday rentals to escape UK winter.

In addition -
    I want to join a rambling club and meet up more with friends who have already retired.
    I want to bake more, I do it for necessity now as opposed to enjoying it.
    I want to declutter the house so we can think about selling it.
    I want to knit/ sew more.
    I also want to have time to be a sloth and watch more TV/ box sets to relax after my busy days.:D
    Money SPENDING Expert

• aldershot
    aldershot Posts: 198 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    paparossco wrote: »
    Has no one considered becoming a Magistrate or JP? I saw an advert in the Metro a while back I’m sure. No longer ‘Colonel Blimp’ types as you go through an intensive interview process and are fully trained. Give back some of your life experience!

I have trained and have now sat twice so far, having been sworn in last month. It was always on my retirement plan as it is actually fairly time consuming. The public sector is better at allowing time off than the private sector for those still working full time.

The process is quite long, it took me 14 months in total. So far, I have found it challenging and rewarding.
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,102 Forumite
    Options
    Why would anybody want to spend their retirement giving bad news to people every day? :D
  • paparossco
    paparossco Posts: 293 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Actually it is not all bad news, if you find someone 'not guilty' after a trial, or even bail them. Oh and it is not everyday either ;)
    The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.
    Wayne Dyer
  • aldershot
    aldershot Posts: 198 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 May 2019 at 10:06PM
    Options
    westv wrote: »
    Why would anybody want to spend their retirement giving bad news to people every day? :D

Actually I think I and other magistrates I have met, are doing their utmost to try and encourage offenders to mend their ways. Trying to help those who are more often than not at the other end of society, is really why you do it.

Drink drivers, though......
  • bluenose1
    bluenose1 Posts: 2,694 Forumite
    Options
    Really enjoyed this article on benefits of retiring to Portugal. Inspired us to look at long term let's and property out there. There again we are fickle, last week we were looking at Wales
    Must admit Portugal appeals, even more tempting in this miserable weather.!!!
    https://obviousinvestor.com/fire-financial-independence-retire-earlier-in-portugal/
    Money SPENDING Expert

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,719 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    DH and I pick up our new electric bikes today so as the weather is supposed to be good I will be familiarising myself with it over the weekend. DH up with our eldest daughter doing DIY so he will not get a chance to ride his until next week.

I have done a few rambles since my last post. One local one and one in Devon and another one due next week on North Cornwall coast. All around 8 miles long. Also done quite a few NT properties when the weather was good last week and week before. A few weeks now until our New Forest break and we are considering taking the bikes there but as going with extended family I am not sure how that will work.

I can honestly say being a magistrate is not something that appeals even if they would have me. ;)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,680 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The New Forest is brilliant for cycling but I always hire a bike there as mine at home is a town bike and you are better off with hybrid/mountain bike. We will be there at half term - tent camping with 2 other families.
    We pick up the camper on Monday.
    We will be taking it somewhere nearby for a trial night to make sure we know how to use everything - it will be a big step as DD doesn't want to come and would rather stay home with the dogs. She is 17 but we have never left her all night before - I gave her the option of with or without dogs and she chose 'with'.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • thriftytracey
    thriftytracey Posts: 641 Forumite
    First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    The Portugal article was very interesting. It would be more cost effective for us to fly out and rent a property over winter than take the caravan which is what we were thinking of doing. The only concern is we could not go without our 2 dogs. I will have to research the costs of transporting them on the plane. It is only a short flight and hopefully the hold is heated.

enthusiasticsaver - OH really needs an electric bike as he has mild arthritis in his knees and complains his bum hurts even with a padded saddle! I was hoping they would come down in price a bit. Did you do lots of research? Did you go for budget, middle or top end specification?
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Very interesting thread!:)

I am off work at the moment due to the fact that I had some health problems. My husband decided the other day that he does want to retire early, in five years time. He will be 53 and I will be 48.

We aren't sure what we will do after retirement as there seem to be too many options!

We are mortgage free and live in outer London and so we could buy a cheaper property and free up some money.

Part of me wants to move to the seaside. We were looking online at a retirement complex by the sea, but what puts me off is that we both look fairly young for our age. I'm not sure if we would stand out like a sore thumb living somewhere like that.:D

Part of me thinks about moving closer to inner London and just having a flat. We both like going to rock concerts so staying in London might be a better idea. I'm also vegan and London is fantastic for good vegan restaurants. All our family are in London too. Our 5 pets make the situation more complicated too as I don't fancy living in a flat with cats or dogs.

We really can't decide!:o
    crv1963 wrote: »
    We had planned several nice holidays but that has been scuppered for now with our collection of pets- one diabetic dog who will probably likely live another 10 years and an older cat needing medication twice a day for the rest of her life- again likely another 10 years or so. So likely we'll continue as we are taking separate holidays abroad to family.

That is what happened to us, we found out our dog has diabetes last year and he needs to be injected with insulin twice a day.

We are having a night out next month and leaving our two dogs at the vet as they have a boarding service if your pet is ill. It would probably cost quite a lot to leave them there for a full two week holiday, however!:D
    TBC15 wrote: »
    The only time I ever get above a brisk pace is when Greggs is about to close.

With this training regime I have suffered no injuries to date.

:rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport