(NON FINANCIAL) Retirement plans/ dreams/ discussion.

Options

Comments

• Crabby
    Crabby Posts: 858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sat in the van in a Stellplatz in northern Germany, now heading home after a tour of Denmark, for the summer boat fishing season. A few trips planned for the summer/autumn, then we'll be looking for the winter sun after Christmas. It's a hard life, but I have to keep going.
    I'm sure you'll get the hang of it MallyGirl.

PS. If I keep heading up to Scandinavia, I might need a bigger pension.:eek:
    Winner winner, Chicken dinner.
  • Tahlullah
    Tahlullah Posts: 1,086 Forumite
    Options
    Congrats Mallygirl. Got my camper van over the Easter break and keep sitting in it. Ebay is getting a lot of traffic from me as I buy bits and pieces as well. Have a great time with it when you begin your travels!
    Still striving to be mortgage free before I get to a point I can't enjoy it.

Owed at the end of -
    02/19 - £78,400. 04/19 - £85,000. 05/19 - £83,300. 06/19 - £78,900.
    07/19 - £77,500. 08/19 - £76,000.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,662 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We are off to a camping show for a few ‘essentials’ in a couple of weeks.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • bluenose1
    bluenose1 Posts: 2,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Doubt we would ever get a camper van, though may hire one at some point, but enjoy reading books about other people's real life adventures. Currently reading "Upsticks" about a couple travelling around EC on my kindle unlimited.
    Money SPENDING Expert

• shinytop
    shinytop Posts: 2,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Is a camper van different from a motor home? Is it just a question of size or are they different things? To me, camper van conjures up hippies/surfer dudes in a VW whereas a motor home is a huge removal-van sized vehicle towing a small car. I suspect we're talking about something closer to the former here.:cool:
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,662 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    In my case it was a short wheel base VW transporter that I had fitted out with crates first - for my sled dogs and their mushing equipment. Now the oldest dog is too old so out with the crates and in with swivel front seats, overnight heating, a pop up roof with a bed in so we can stand up in the back, rear bench seat convert to another bed, there is a fridge, sink, solar panels to charge the leisure battery, and lots more. SWB means it is easy to park and drive and does pretty decent mpg.
    A motor home is usually coach built, no longer looks anything like the underlying vehicle, is bigger (sometimes enormous), but that means there can be room for a loo and shower. Not that easy to drive/park and very thirsty due to the weight. Not great in high winds.
    A camper requires you to be careful and efficient with your luggage - everything bijoux.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • thriftytracey
    thriftytracey Posts: 641 Forumite
    First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    Our camper van is ready to collect :)
    It will have to sit there till after the fencing people have been and put in a new fence and gate to allow us to park it down the side of the house (safe from being hit by passing vehicles).
    Something to take my mind off the inappropriate Agile software development course I am having to sit through this week.

HA HA, been there done that., although product can only really support Waterfall/Agile hybrid model and Automation will never happen. Sounds like we work in the same area Got Cambam training scheduledbut as I gave in my notice on Monday to retire I won't be able to attend which is sad! Plus all the other Global/UK/Technology updates which I won't miss..... Indeed there are so many things I won't miss I could go on listing forever.

Looking forward to forthcoming 5-6 weeks in France in the caravan with our two dogs!
  • Crabby
    Crabby Posts: 858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    shinytop wrote: »
    Is a camper van different from a motor home? Is it just a question of size or are they different things? To me, camper van conjures up hippies/surfer dudes in a VW whereas a motor home is a huge removal-van sized vehicle towing a small car. I suspect we're talking about something closer to the former here.:cool:

A campervan is more geared up for long weekends/short holidays, though plenty of people tour Europe in them.
    We have a a 6 metre PVC (panel van conversion) with fixed bed, full kitchen,shower and toilet, which is big enough for us. But as you say, some are based on coaches and could fit ours inside.
    All we need is somewhere to park, somewhere to top up our water and dump our waste occasionally, and we can stay on the road for months.
    Winner winner, Chicken dinner.
  • shinytop
    shinytop Posts: 2,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    In my case it was a short wheel base VW transporter that I had fitted out with crates first - for my sled dogs and their mushing equipment. Now the oldest dog is too old so out with the crates and in with swivel front seats, overnight heating, a pop up roof with a bed in so we can stand up in the back, rear bench seat convert to another bed, there is a fridge, sink, solar panels to charge the leisure battery, and lots more. SWB means it is easy to park and drive and does pretty decent mpg.
    A motor home is usually coach built, no longer looks anything like the underlying vehicle, is bigger (sometimes enormous), but that means there can be room for a loo and shower. Not that easy to drive/park and very thirsty due to the weight. Not great in high winds.
    A camper requires you to be careful and efficient with your luggage - everything bijoux.
    Yup I get the idea now. One is like a small motorised bedroom, the other like more like a whole house. I definitely want to hire one sometime.
  • Triumph13
    Triumph13 Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Crabby wrote: »
    A campervan is more geared up for long weekends/short holidays, though plenty of people tour Europe in them.
    We have a a 6 metre PVC (panel van conversion) with fixed bed, full kitchen,shower and toilet, which is big enough for us. But as you say, some are based on coaches and could fit ours inside.
    All we need is somewhere to park, somewhere to top up our water and dump our waste occasionally, and we can stay on the road for months.
    Small campers are fine for long holidays - as long as you have the weather. If you're outdoorsy by nature then you don't spend that much time actually shut up in the van until the evening. With the side door open they can actually feel much more roomy than a motorhome. It's when you are cooped up inside them for days because of the rain that you go crazy :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback