(NON FINANCIAL) Retirement plans/ dreams/ discussion.

Options

Comments

• JoeEngland
    JoeEngland Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Techno wrote: »
    It depends where you want to live. There is a lot more Welsh spoken on Anglesey and in Gwynedd than in my neck of the woods and the less touristy villages tend to have more Welsh speakers. Not essential, mind but helps with the integration

Which county are you in?
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'll probably retire in 5 years, I only work 2 days per week now, and it is very flexible, the finances are already in place, we have no financial concerns at all.

On the non financial side I run park runs (PB 23.56, not great, but OK for a 61 year old and I am hoping to get nearer to 23 mins), cycle and hike (mainly with my dog, sometimes my wife joins us) and also do gym classes and weight training. I also play both indoor and outdoor bowl and we like going to the cinema and to inexpensive restaurants (neither of us really likes over the top restaurants that much). When I retire I might start swimming again, with the goal of doing a triathlon.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • Sapphire
    Sapphire Posts: 4,269 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Having a degree In maths already will oil the gears a little ;). I have 2 degrees already so doubt I will get loans to study further, but ill pay for them myself!

Why not try archaeology? It's really interesting and gets you out into the fresh air if you do field work, and you learn so much and meet interesting people. I did an archaeology degree while working – it was brilliant, and had the advantage of diverting me from what started happening in my profession when the corporate world invaded it. Paid for it myself (never had a degree originally, but learnt everything on the job, the best way).

Still study archaeology, though not to get another qualification at the moment (too busy with freelance work, usually). Might go for a PhD one day – though that would be a huge commitment …
  • Terron
    Terron Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sapphire wrote: »
    Why not try archaeology? It's really interesting and gets you out into the fresh air if you do field work, and you learn so much and meet interesting people. I did an archaeology degree while working – it was brilliant, and had the advantage of diverting me from what started happening in my profession when the corporate world invaded it. Paid for it myself (never had a degree originally, but learnt everything on the job, the best way).

Still study archaeology, though not to get another qualification at the moment (too busy with freelance work, usually). Might go for a PhD one day – though that would be a huge commitment …

I did some archaeology evening courses. That got me a chance to go on a dig with the university which I continued for about 10 years, until my injured knee forced me to stop. I could still get down and dig, but getting up and carrying my spoil to the tip was a struggle. Wish I could still do it. I paid for myself, but got a discount. Also I travelled to site each day, rather than camp like the students.
  • Techno
    Techno Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JoeEngland wrote: »
    Which county are you in?

I live in Llandudno which is in Conwy County, next along is Gwynedd then Ynys Mon which is the island
    ;) If you think you are too small to make a difference, try getting in bed with a mosquito!
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,659 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Lots of great plans here and some very energetic early or soon to be early retirees.

I don't run and never had any inclination to but do walk and have recently joined a local U3A walking group. I have my first 7-8 mile walk tomorrow although I have done walks of that distance before. Not as part of a group though. We live in Cornwall so lots of hills so am sure there will be lots of lovely views.

On the recommendation of an also retired neighbour DH and I are going to get a couple of electric bikes as we only use our pedal cycles on the bike trails because of the gradient of some of our local hills. Our neighbour has not found one locally his bike cannot cope with. I tried the bike out Saturday and was amazed that as soon as you start to apply some pressure to go uphill the motor kicks in. Obviously not great fitness wise but in terms of getting us out and about we think we would get lots of use out of them. Anyone got one?

Travel wise I think I posted earlier about our plans for this year. Next year I want to do Canada and the Rockies and Niagara Falls in the Autumn so will be researching that over the next 6 months. We will probably hire a beachside cottage in Cornwall for the family for a few weeks next June and do Centre Parcs for my 60th in February. Am no longer worrying about Brexit and not going to change our plans to account for the disruption around that.

Impressed so many of you want to further your education in retirement. Having worked in a University for 20 years though I think I would be quite happy never going into one again and certainly don't want to give myself the stress of deadlines, assignments and so on. Did too much of that while working.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Tahlullah
    Tahlullah Posts: 1,086 Forumite
    Options
    I would agree with Techno. Welsh is not an essential, but the Welsh do appreciate it when you make an effort.

My place is in Gwynedd, down the Lleyn Peninsular. I just preferred the scenery on the peninsular to that of Anglesey but both are beautiful.

cfw1994, I would love to do a season in the mountains snowboarding, but this will never happen as work always calls. I would have to be retired with an amazing pension to afford that level of luxury. So I will just enjoy my annual holiday and perhaps, next year, I will actually get to snowboard in Scotland. I have tried to get to Glencoe on 2 separate occasions and been unsuccessful getting up the mountain because of the weather. Once day my time will come. Probably when I am retired!
    Still striving to be mortgage free before I get to a point I can't enjoy it.

Owed at the end of -
    02/19 - £78,400. 04/19 - £85,000. 05/19 - £83,300. 06/19 - £78,900.
    07/19 - £77,500. 08/19 - £76,000.
  • cfw1994
    cfw1994 Posts: 1,883 Forumite
    Hung up my suit! First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Tahlullah wrote: »
    cfw1994, I would love to do a season in the mountains snowboarding, but this will never happen as work always calls. I would have to be retired with an amazing pension to afford that level of luxury. So I will just enjoy my annual holiday and perhaps, next year, I will actually get to snowboard in Scotland. I have tried to get to Glencoe on 2 separate occasions and been unsuccessful getting up the mountain because of the weather. Once day my time will come. Probably when I am retired!

Ahh, we didn't even start skiing until we were in our 40s....& now that is the main expense for our holidays!

Never tried Scotland, although would like to....the unpredictability of the weather is the thing that puts me off: often not enough snow, sometimes too much and the road system will clog up: the Alps are geared up to keep things moving, so we generally head to Les Arcs.

Need to do more, before our bodies are unable to pay the cheques that our minds are writing! I've had a couple of friends, one who retired, one who took a big sabbatical, who spent 8+ weeks skiing, and that is something I would like to do.....you can then pick and chose to only go out on a great weather days: I'm done with coming down the mountain in a total whiteout!!
    Plan for tomorrow, enjoy today!
  • Pension_Geek
    Options
    Sapphire wrote: »

Funnily enough, one of my degrees is Classics, so I have been on some digs, but I was always much more focused on the language side of things! I would consider something like that, but would have said I would be more likely to do English.
    Not an expert, but like pensions, tax questions and giving guidance. There is no substitute for tailored financial advice.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,662 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Our camper van is ready to collect :)
    It will have to sit there till after the fencing people have been and put in a new fence and gate to allow us to park it down the side of the house (safe from being hit by passing vehicles).
    Something to take my mind off the inappropriate Agile software development course I am having to sit through this week.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback