Question about what to do next?

Hi all, newbie here and I firstly appreciate all the help and information all you kind people can give me.

I took receipt of what I was sold as a "Brand New, pre-registered car" back in February.

About 1 and bit months later (now) I took it to a professional detailer for a new car protection and correction to be applied. Once I went to pick my car up from them, they made me aware that they could not complete the job as they weren't ceramic coating the bumper of the vehicle as it was not the same colour of white as the rest of the car.

He then proceeded to tell me that the bumper has at some point been removed, resprayed badly (pointed out all the bad parts) and put back on incorrectly.

Now I go out to my car and it's just a completely disheartened experience. I am not enjoying going out in it and I'm not happy at all.

I took it to the dealer where I bought it from who the general manager got the body-shop manager to take a look. The gentleman came out and look at my car and had a right good sniff about it and did agree that it was removed, it's not sitting correctly and he's not sure why and that it has been resprayed.

He proceeded to offer me a solution and said he'd call me back. So the guy calls me back after a day and tells me "We'll respray it". Seeing as this is a brand new pre-registered car, I am really not happy with a respray. I'm going to come out the house everyday knowing that it's just not a new bumper at all and that will be now twice someone has had a go on it and it's not what I was sold.

What would you guys do and where do you think I should go next? I'd like to make it clear that I do not want to reject the car, I love it, but that's just not good enough.

Thank you!

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Many brand new cars suffer damage before delivery and are repaired. In most cases the customer never knows, because the repair was slightly botched in your case you became aware. If the dealer is willing to re-repair it you'll have a car that is as good as it should have been at delivery.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Maybe another car bumped it while it was parked and they just repaired the damage badly, it having a bumper changed doesn't automatically mean it was pre owned surely the mileage would tell you if it's been used or not?

If you don't want to reject it (you are possibly out of time anyway) but it's not good enough for them to put it right then what exactly do you want? How much are you looking for to lessen the blow?
  • ThatIS123
    ThatIS123 Posts: 22 Forumite
    edited 27 March 2019 at 9:18PM
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    Maybe another car bumped it while it was parked and they just repaired the damage badly, it having a bumper changed doesn't automatically mean it was pre owned surely the mileage would tell you if it's been used or not?

If you don't want to reject it (you are possibly out of time anyway) but it's not good enough for them to put it right then what exactly do you want? How much are you looking for to lessen the blow?

It had 60 miles on it, 20 pre-registered to them and 40 to drive it from the dealership to my dealership.

I don't want cash from them, I think I'd like a replacement vehicle. I was not sold a car that was in that condition and unfortunately only a professional eye could catch it for me. If I'd have caught it, I'd have rejected it on the spot.
  • ThatIS123 wrote: »
    It had 60 miles on it, 20 pre-registered to them and 40 to drive it from the dealership to my dealership.

I don't want cash from them, I think I'd like a replacement vehicle. I was not sold a car that was in that condition and unfortunately only a professional eye could catch it for me. If I'd have caught it, I'd have rejected it on the spot.

You've got no chance of a replacement vehicle if it took a professional detailer to point it out to you.
  • ThatIS123
    You've got no chance of a replacement vehicle if it took a professional detailer to point it out to you.

And why would that be? Just because someone else pointed it out to me it means my rights are out the window?
  • ThatIS123 wrote: »
    I don't want cash from them, I think I'd like a replacement vehicle.

If you had found out about the problem and informed the seller within the first 30 days from purchase then you would have had the right to reject the vehicle for a full refund.
    As this time period has now passed, the seller still has an obligation to remedy the problem and this can be a refund, replacement or repair and it's their choice which one they opt for.

They have chosen to repair the car so you have to allow them to do this if you want the problem sorted out.
    Provided that it's done to a professional standard, the bumper will look like new and after a few days, you will probably forget about the whole thing.
  • ThatIS123
    If you had found out about the problem and informed the seller within the first 30 days from purchase then you would have had the right to reject the vehicle for a full refund.
    As this time period has now passed, the seller still has an obligation to remedy the problem and this can be a refund, replacement or repair and it's their choice which one they opt for.

They have chosen to repair the car so you have to allow them to do this if you want the problem sorted out.
    Provided that it's done to a professional standard, the bumper will look like new and after a few days, you will probably forget about the whole thing.

So can I suggest a replacement vehicle or just simply have to accept the repair? I'm worried it will never be the same as a new bumper is my concern.

My friend runs a bodyshop and said unless prepped properly it will not be anywhere near looking "new".

Could I request I get it repaired and they are billed?

Thanks for a great answer.
  • You can state your preference for a refund, replacement or repair but ultimately, the seller has the legal right to choose which they will offer.

You can certainly ask about getting it repaired elsewhere but as the garage could probably do it cheaper themselves, they will in all likelihood decline this request.
    Is the garage a main dealership? If so, they should have the facilities and people to ensure that the repair is carried out to a high standard.

The Consumer rights act states that the seller only has 1 attempt to resolve the problem. If they carry out the respray and it's not up to the same standard as you would expect for a new vehicle, you do not have to allow them another go at it. You can reject it for a refund. (but they can make a deduction to cover the time that you have had use of the car)
  • LABMAN
    LABMAN Posts: 1,659 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Did the garage that spotted the problem bumper actually do any work on the car?
  • ThatIS123
    You can state your preference for a refund, replacement or repair but ultimately, the seller has the legal right to choose which they will offer.

You can certainly ask about getting it repaired elsewhere but as the garage could probably do it cheaper themselves, they will in all likelihood decline this request.
    Is the garage a main dealership? If so, they should have the facilities and people to ensure that the repair is carried out to a high standard.

The Consumer rights act states that the seller only has 1 attempt to resolve the problem. If they carry out the respray and it's not up to the same standard as you would expect for a new vehicle, you do not have to allow them another go at it. You can reject it for a refund. (but they can make a deduction to cover the time that you have had use of the car)

They are a main dealership indeed.

I'll make my preferences known and I have already done so to the finance company.

I'll see how it goes between now and the date it has to go in for the job to be done.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure