Troublesome buyer on Ebay - Accept return??

Options

Comments

• GC1987
    GC1987 Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    If for any reason the buyer gets a refund without the item being returned/collected they still need to take reasonable care of the item and see it restored to you (despite what eBay may tell them).

Thank you for your advice, I've messaged her re collection. With regards her seeing it restored to me, how do I ensure this happens? I feel very concerned that her end goal all along has been to keep this item and get her money back on it.
  • deethebee
    deethebee Posts: 233 Forumite
    edited 1 April 2019 at 5:38PM
    Options
    Oh gosh I'm sorry to hear you've had such a horrible experience GC1987. I can't believe the buyer is being so difficult! Actually, what am I saying? Yes I can, I have had difficult buyers myself. It makes you wonder what this buyer is playing at and if she's sending something else back that doesn't match the weight and size of yours! £3.50 for a return label is an awful lot of money so I understand why you would have wanted to provide your own. (EDIT: Sorry, I thought the £3.50 was for the ebay label service, not for the cost of sending the item back). Did you buy the original label online? Is there any way you could send a copy to ebay and then show them the one you're offering the buyer? It just really worries me that she's saying the label you sent her isn't enough.

I think that the advice you were given to agree to the return was the best option as if found in the buyer's favour that would put a mark on your seller account as they penalise you if cases have to be closed and resolved by them. I thought they made the buyer send the goods back though, it doesn't seem fair that they would allow the buyer to keep the goods so that surprises me.

Honestly what you've said has raised a lot of red flags and it really worries me that the buyer is saying the postage label isn't enough. If it was me, I would try to reason with ebay over the 2 labels. I'd be really concerned if I was in your position. In my head there seems only 1 reason the label you sent them wouldn't be sufficient and that's that they're sending you back something different. You could arrange a Hermes collection and arrange with the buyer as has been suggested, but then you may face the same issue where they say the dimensions and weight don't match. Hermes do give you more leeway with the weight and size than RM though so maybe not, but it does concern me that she seems to be trying to send something back that doesn't match the weight and size of the original package.
  • deethebee
    edited 1 April 2019 at 6:05PM
    Options
    GC1987 wrote: »
    Thank you for your advice, I've messaged her re collection. With regards her seeing it restored to me, how do I ensure this happens? I feel very concerned that her end goal all along has been to keep this item and get her money back on it.

I think the lunatic is referring to the regulations around distance selling that says the buyer has to return the item or allow you to collect it, but I'm not entirely sure if that law applies to private sales so I'm probably wrong about that. If she didn't send the item back then I'm sure you could argue that it's essentially theft (if she has received a refund) and that she must return your property to you. If she doesn't, you'd have cause to take legal action against her because then it would seem to come under a civil issue where one person is refusing to return the other's property. Ebay do tend to make their own set of rules and I don't know how they get away with it.

One more question - if the tracking said the item was refused and she said it was on its way back to you, how did she end up receiving it? What does the tracking say now? (EDIT: I was only asking this out of curiosity. I realise the buyer has said she received it, I was just wondering if the tracking still said refused or if it said delivered).
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,208 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    deethebee wrote: »
    I think the lunatic is referring to the regulations around distance selling that says the buyer has to return the item or allow you to collect it, but I'm not entirely sure if that law applies to private sales so I'm probably wrong about that. If she didn't send the item back then I'm sure you could argue that it's essentially theft (if she has received a refund) and that she must return your property to you. If she doesn't, you'd have cause to take legal action against her because then it would seem to come under a civil issue where one person is refusing to return the other's property. Ebay do tend to make their own set of rules and I don't know how they get away with it.

One more question - if the tracking said the item was refused and she said it was on its way back to you, how did she end up receiving it? What does the tracking say now?

Deathbee your input is very welcome, but it does pay to read the whole thread as OP has updated it as events moved on. Item was received, hence the SNAD claim (as per 1st post)

The label sent was not the ebay one but the OP's own which seemed to cost a great deal more than the comparative ebay one would have done. £3.50 to return this item wouldn't seem expensive at all as it is likely to be over 2kg and would need tracking and insurance, and few couriers would cover this item. I'm not sure I would trust MyHermes with this at all!

This is a SNAD so the law gives buyers rights- also ebay also give buyers more rights than the law requires (and remember this is SNAD anyway) so buyer is entitled to a return - the OP is not disputing that and has tried their best to work with the buyer to action this.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • GC1987
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input. I emailed ebay back and explained that I had already sent a postage label that was sufficient to send the item but hadn't received a return. I also messaged the buyer and advised her I had sent a label and asked about when she would be able to facilitate courier collection...no reply. I have now received the following message from ebay:

Thank you for contacting us regarding returns request for the item 'Microsoft X Box One (500GB) with Kinect including controller and headset' (item# 183726752700), purchased by the buyer XXXXX.

I understand that you want this case to be closed as you've already resolved the issue with the buyer and provided return postage cost to the buyer.

I can totally understand how disappointing it is when you face such situations during a transaction which begun with good faith and trust on the trading platform, however, we sincerely work upon all such areas of opportunity in order to ensure that we can provide our community with an enhanced trading experience.

I request you to provide us a screen shot of the payment details with below specifics to confirm the refund:

PayPal transaction ID

Amount and the date of refund for us to confirm the transaction

Receiver's PayPal email ID

Refund status.

Once you provide us with the details above, we will assist you further with closure of the request in your favour.

But they have already issued her with a refund because my paypal is in minus balance and I don't have the XBox back?
  • GC1987
    Options
    Also I would add that the only address I have from buyer is a collection point address at a supermarket so I need her to provide more details for a courier collection
  • GC1987
    Options
    Omg I'm banging my head against a brick wall here. I phoned eBay and all they will say is "continue what you have started" and said that I sent an ebay label to her which didn't cover the postage!
  • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head Posts: 7,597 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 April 2019 at 2:14PM
    Options
    Omg I'm banging my head against a brick wall here. I phoned eBay and all they will say is "continue what you have started" and said that I sent an ebay label to her which didn't cover the postage!

Overseas call center? They are really difficult.

The email you have quoted above thinks you've said that a refund has been granted and you want them to close the return which isn't what's happened.

Paypal is minus because the funds are on hold, if eBay refund that minus balance remains, if eBay finds in your favour the hold is removed as is the negative balance.

So a refund hasn't been given yet but the money has been ring fenced causing the minus balance.

Try calling again and ask for a manager is all I can suggest.

I'd also tell the buyer that if eBay refunds them they do need to return the goods and you'll have to recover the money for the goods via small claims if they don't advise you when you can send a courier to collect.

EDIT just seen it's a click & collect order, ask the buyer for their address and also point out to eBay you don't have the address for collection.

No help to the OP I know but yet another example of why click and collect can be a bad idea.
  • deethebee
    edited 1 April 2019 at 3:11PM
    Options
    Soolin, I did read the whole thread. I asked how the item was refused and then managed to end up in the buyer's possession. I thought that if there was no return address it would go to RM returns centre and they'd open it to try find a return address. I also thought the OP meant she had to pay £3.50 on top of what it cost to send the item back. As far as I understand ebay labels, they are "on account" labels and so are charged once taken to the PO and weighed etc. Apologies if I got this wrong, that's the way it came across in the posts. So I'm assuming that ebay cover the postage then? I didn't know they would do this. I do realise it's a SNAD claim too - I don't know where I said something different. I know the buyer said that it was listed as an X Box One X in one part of the listing but that it was just an X Box One. I didn't say anywhere the buyer wasn't entitled to a return, I only said I'm surprised that ebay would allow the buyer to keep the goods and also have a refund. As far as I'm aware there are no buyer's rights that allow them to keep a not as described item and also receive a refund. It doesn't seem to be very straight-forward due to the fact that the listing overall suggests it's for an X Box One, but only in one part of the listing says X Box One X. This is why I was agreeing with others saying to accept the return (which I realise she has already done) instead of hoping that ebay might find in her favour. The images clearly show an X Box One and not an X Box One X so ebay MAY have found in her favour, but I agreed that it wasn't worth the risk.

I also did know that the label sent was the OP's one - which is why I was suggesting showing the original label plus the new one to ebay to show that they should be the same amount. I've had good experiences with Hermes myself, so I don't know why you wouldn't trust them, but that was only my suggestion for a courier. My concerns were over the fact that the buyer said the label the OP sent wasn't enough and if the dimensions and weight were the same as the parcel she sent then this is a bit of a red flag. I can't see any reason for the label being insufficient unless the 2 parcels are different in size and weight which is concerning.
  • deethebee
    Options

Have you now sent her an ebay returns label? If it only costs £3.50 then that might be your best option. I believe they are "on account" labels, so I don't see how it could be insufficient as they are charged when the sender takes it to the PO and it gets weighed etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure