Wifi Strength

Options

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Been answered one pay BT two pay a local telephone guy to wire up .

My router is fed via VDSL cable from master socket to another room . Then via Ethernet cable from router to PC etc .
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Been answered one pay BT two pay a local telephone guy to wire up .

A "local telephone guy" would not be allowed to move OR plant.
  • JJ_Egan
    Options
    Yes but most can do whats needed .
  • littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,501 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Majic wrote: »
    Plenty of articles online regarding the dangers of exposure to wifi, particularly when sitting next to a router Are they right? Who knows, but I would still like to minimise my exposure to it. BT rang me up offering me superfast broadband and when I queried the wifi signal they told me it would be much stronger Sitting next to a hub all day I thought it would make sense to move it. Some of you have played down my worries, but as I don't need it for my PC I thought it would make sense to move it away from my office. I understand the 2 way process of how wifi works now, but even so would like the hub moved.

There seem to have been 2 types of reply 1) Those of you telling me to ignore any concern I have as it is false 2) Those coming up with a practical solution.

I think some of you have now grasped that I don't need wifi for my PC (although #22 did confuse the matter) and I simply want the hub moving away from where I sit. There are some clever people on here who want to help, thank you.

It comes down to the fact I wish to limit my exposure to wifi and there is no need for me to sit next to a hub all day that is producing it.

I think this is the crux of your issue. "stronger" implies more power, however, the maximum power for WiFi is regulated, 100mW for 2.4Ghz and 200mW for 5Ghz. What some routers do is use techniques to maximise the effectiveness of the WiFi coverage, but none of them can exceed the permitted power outputs. Thats what BT are talking about. So by "stronger", the BT rep means more effective coverage.
    If you are concerned about WiFi, then either turn it off on the router so nobody can use it or do what I suggested in an earlier post. You should also disable wifi on you machine, assuming it has wifi capability
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My router is up on top of a tall display cabinet, wired from the BT socket directly below it, in the lounge. This desktop is a room and a hall away and is Ethernet wired, although it has a (disabled) network wireless adapter installed for any emergency. In the lounge is a Freesat Humax box, also Ethernet. In the kitchen, 4 rooms away from me, my wife has a laptop and uses WiFi. We have 2 phones and 2 tablets, all WiFi of course.

I put the router up there to test coverage and found it best there. I am not worried at all about any (completely hypothetical) damage from WiFi waves: as has been said over and over, there is more chance of receiving natural sources than anything any WiFi router can put out.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    Options
    I understand that, thank you for explaining, but I still think you guys are missing what I am saying. I am sitting next to a hub that is producing wifi. I don't need that wifi for my PC. I need the wifi for other devices in the house but not all the time. My point is when wifi is needed I would prefer the hub to be away from me. Ideally I would like the hub and wall socket downstairs away from me, just my personal preference. I am not using in my office wifi

You never answered vacheron's question asking if you use a mobile phone or not ?. If you use a mobile phone and/or keep one near you then there is no point worrying about WIFI when the mobile phone will give you a much higher exposure.
  • Majic
    Majic Posts: 349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have one, I use I as little as possible but it is essential for my job.
    Wifi is not.
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    Options
    I have one, I use I as little as possible but it is essential for my job.
    Wifi is not.

Mobile phones can output at 2W of power when on a call and most people have them right next to their head or in their pocket.

A router outputs at a maximum of 100mW which is 20 times less and it's not right next to your head or in your pocket so even less exposure again.

Also considering 100mW is the maximum allowed output power all routers will output at the maximum. So the new hub will have exactly the same output power as the one you have now. So I'm not sure why this is suddenly a concern for you, you may have heard of it producing a better WIFI reception but this isn't done by increased output power as that's not allowed.
  • Majic
    Majic Posts: 349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Takmon wrote: »
    Mobile phones can output at 2W of power when on a call and most people have them right next to their head or in their pocket.

A router outputs at a maximum of 100mW which is 20 times less and it's not right next to your head or in your pocket so even less exposure again.

Also considering 100mW is the maximum allowed output power all routers will output at the maximum. So the new hub will have exactly the same output power as the one you have now. So I'm not sure why this is suddenly a concern for you, you may have heard of it producing a better WIFI reception but this isn't done by increased output power as that's not allowed.

Thanks, BT have not covered themselves in glory as when I queried with them I was told the signal on the new hub would be much stronger than my old home hub 3. The example you give regarding the phone is quite interesting, but I might use a mobile for 1 call a day, say for 2 minutes. I'm sitting next to router, right by my feet which may be 20 times less stronger than a mobile but I'm sitting there for probably 10 hours per day, resulting in 300 times the exposure of my mobile, all be it at a lower rate. In my case I am getting more exposure to the wifi.
  • JJ_Egan
    Options
    Signal on newer hubs is pushed out via more antennas than the old hubs 6/7 .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure