Wifi Strength

Options

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Majic wrote: »
    I don't particularly like Wifi although I need it for my job. I don't like sitting next to a hub that is pumping out a signal around my house. I spoke to BT about this and they told me Superfast would result in a new hub and a much stronger signal from it. I'm looking at how to minimise this
    Wi-Fi signals will not harm you. They are very low power and in a part of the electromagnetic spectrum that the worst they would do is warm you up slightly.

There are many other types of EM radiation around you all the time and many of them will have a lot more power and yet you don't worry about those. Some examples are: radio broadcasts, television broadcasts, the light from the sun.
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    HH 6 even more so and even better on the new HH7 .
    BT has discontinued the "Home Hub" moniker; it's now "Smart Hub" and "Smart Hub 2".
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks .
    I see this weeks HH 6 is indeed branded Smart Hub .
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    vacheron wrote: »
    Electronic Engineer here.
    Most people here think an engineer is someone that repairs broken telephone lines or installs a cable TV box (or even fixes broken central heating) ...

Whenever someone posts "Openreach sent an engineer round" I want to reply, "I bet they didn't" :( .
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Most people here think an engineer is someone that repairs broken telephone lines or installs a cable TV box (or even fixes broken central heating) ...

Whenever someone posts "Openreach sent an engineer round" I want to reply, "I bet they didn't" :( .

And even if they do it is rare to have a good one. My OH trained with BT, admittedly 45 years ago, he had a 6 month apprenticeship. Now the training takes two weeks. Still, not complaining, we pick up a fair bit of work sorting out the problems they leave behind.

I now go out with OH and help him in his work, I have learned enough to be able to do a lot independently. We were doing a fair bit of work at a client's one time and they had BT there at the same time. He started putting a line through but was doing it all wrong, he couldn't get the dial tone let alone anything else, I actually had to show him how to do it :eek:
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • Majic
    Majic Posts: 349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Some interesting replies there, a little bit of sarcasm, but I will allow that:).

Being a naturally suspicious person I can remember all the warnings a few years ago regarding wifi. At the time there were concerns raised in schools, about the use of wifi there. In some countries there are still concerns and I believe it is banned

I need wifi for the other users in the house, I use an ethernet cable for my PC but the hub is 12 inches away. Reading Enterprise 1701c comments it looks like I need BT to come and move this.

Thanks for all the comments, Vacheron, Wongataa etc
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why not just extend the cable to the router with one of these (or similar):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RJ11-Extension-Cable-with-Coupler-for-Broadband-Internet-ADSL-SENT-TODAY/282523386144?epid=1740078639&hash=item41c7b4c120:m:miublS-EiY_oB3ucshF-RoQ

BT will charge to move the socket - up to £140.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,629 Forumite
    Options
    Being a naturally suspicious person I can remember all the warnings a few years ago regarding wifi. At the time there were concerns raised in schools, about the use of wifi there.
    These concerns never had scientific backing.
    I need wifi for the other users in the house, I use an ethernet cable for my PC but the hub is 12 inches away. Reading Enterprise 1701c comments it looks like I need BT to come and move this.
    No you don't. You need longer wire between the hub and where it plugs into the filter/wall.
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    wongataa wrote: »
    These concerns never had scientific backing.

No you don't. You need longer wire between the hub and where it plugs into the filter/wall.

As I suggested. But we do not know what plug it needs on the end in order to know which cable to suggest.

If you have the small plug that goes into the top half of the incoming socket then that will be RJ11 to RJ11, if it plugs into a filter then it would be RJ11 to BT plug. At a guess it is probably the RJ11 to RJ11 you need, it is very easy to get a 5 metre one simply by googling, just be careful where you run it so it doesn't get tripped over.

As an aside, I used to work in a World Service relay station, the sort of place where you don't need a radio to listen to the radio, just turn on the shredder or projector etc. We frequently had people complaining thinking it would leave people sterile. All we did was bring them up and show them the amount of rabbits and their babies were running around, most of the people that worked there as youngsters now have kids.

Everything that is new has it's naysayers, it just takes a few years for things to settle down when none of the forecasts actually happen.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    That's why I suggested this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RJ11-Extension-Cable-with-Coupler-for-Broadband-Internet-ADSL-SENT-TODAY/282523386144?epid=1740078639&hash=item41c7b4c120:m%20%20:miublS-EiY_oB3ucshF-RoQ

as it will just extend the existing cable. No need to worry about connectors. It will work with both the modern split OR Mk3 socket or a plug-in filter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure