Wifi Strength

Options

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Personally i would look for a local telephone enginner.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Majic wrote: »
    The hub and wall socket need to be in another room (preferably downstairs out of the way). My PC can then be connected by wifi rather than ethernet
    If you want to avoid the wifi frying your brain, this won't achieve it. Wifi is a two way process and the transmitter in your PC will put out as much EM signal as the transmitter in the router.

Why do you want the router moved?
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Majic
    Majic Posts: 349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you want to avoid the wifi frying your brain, this won't achieve it. Wifi is a two way process and the transmitter in your PC will put out as much EM signal as the transmitter in the router.

Why do you want the router moved?

Just to confirm, are you saying the following is the same:

1) A person sitting next to a PC, router and hub is subjected to the same wifi level

as

2) A person sitting next to a PC which obtains wifi from a router and hub that are positioned downstairs away from the PC
  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 21 March 2019 at 7:37PM
    Options
    Just to confirm, are you saying the following is the same:

1) A person sitting next to a PC, router and hub is subjected to the same wifi level

as

2) A person sitting next to a PC which obtains wifi from a router and hub that are positioned downstairs away from the PC

Yes, that’s what I and many others have told you. Your PC and router are effectively shouting messages to and from each other. The PC has to shout just as loud to be heard by the router as the router does to be heard by the PC, but you are far closer to the transmitter in say a laptop than you are from the router even if the router is just a meter or 2 away, so due to the inverse square law I explained in my earlier post, the router is effectively irrelevant.

Have you taken a mobile call this week, if so it’s transmitter is dozens of times more powerful and you push it right against your brain. It’s been calculated that you are exposed to more microwave energy during a 20 minute phone call than a years worth of WiFi, so stop worrying!
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
  • Majic
    Options
    vacheron wrote: »
    Yes, that’s what I and many others have told you. Your PC and router are effectively shouting messages to and from each other. The PC has to shout just as loud to be heard by the router as the router does to be heard by the PC, but you are far closer to the transmitter in say a laptop than you are from the router even if the router is just a meter or 2 away, so due to the inverse square law I explained in my earlier post, the router is effectively irrelevant.

Have you taken a mobile call this week, if so it’s transmitter is dozens of times more powerful and you push it right against your brain. It’s been calculated that you are exposed to more microwave energy during a 20 minute phone call than a years worth of WiFi, so stop worrying!

I understand that, thank you for explaining, but I still think you guys are missing what I am saying. I am sitting next to a hub that is producing wifi. I don't need that wifi for my PC. I need the wifi for other devices in the house but not all the time. My point is when wifi is needed I would prefer the hub to be away from me. Ideally I would like the hub and wall socket downstairs away from me, just my personal preference. I am not using in my office wifi
  • littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,501 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    So you could use power line adaptors to extend your network across the house mains wiring and have a wireless access point on the far end. Then turn of Wi-fi on the router and you could still connect wired.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I can't work out if they're trolling or just don't understand a simple concept.
  • thorganby
    thorganby Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Don't understand what you are suggesting

The socket in the wall is by my feet, the home hub is 2 feet above that on my desk.

The hub and wall socket need to be in another room (preferably downstairs out of the way). My PC can then be connected by wifi rather than ethernet

Back to the BT engineer needed?
    I understand that, thank you for explaining, but I still think you guys are missing what I am saying. I am sitting next to a hub that is producing wifi. I don't need that wifi for my PC. I need the wifi for other devices in the house but not all the time. My point is when wifi is needed I would prefer the hub to be away from me. Ideally I would like the hub and wall socket downstairs away from me, just my personal preference. I am not using in my office wifi

You are obviously paranoid about WiFi still do not understand what you have been told by everyone and are simply wrong!
    You can give a person knowledge, but you can't make them think.
    Some people want to remain fools, only because the truth requires change.
    Tony A Gaskins Jr
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The solution proposed by #littleboo at #37 is probably the best and cheapest solution, otherwise the OP is going to have to pay OR £140 (or whatever) to move the socket to where he wants it to be.

He's then going to have to run a Cat5 cable from the new router position to his PC
  • Majic
    Options
    Plenty of articles online regarding the dangers of exposure to wifi, particularly when sitting next to a router Are they right? Who knows, but I would still like to minimise my exposure to it. BT rang me up offering me superfast broadband and when I queried the wifi signal they told me it would be much stronger Sitting next to a hub all day I thought it would make sense to move it. Some of you have played down my worries, but as I don't need it for my PC I thought it would make sense to move it away from my office. I understand the 2 way process of how wifi works now, but even so would like the hub moved.

There seem to have been 2 types of reply 1) Those of you telling me to ignore any concern I have as it is false 2) Those coming up with a practical solution.

I think some of you have now grasped that I don't need wifi for my PC (although #22 did confuse the matter) and I simply want the hub moving away from where I sit. There are some clever people on here who want to help, thank you.

It comes down to the fact I wish to limit my exposure to wifi and there is no need for me to sit next to a hub all day that is producing it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure