Card fraud, bank wont refund.

Options

Comments

• societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    am sure it was due to RESOLVER's intervention
    Resolver sends your email*. That's if they don't go astray, as has been known to happen.

*They also gather your data (anonymously) and sell it on.
  • djpailo
    djpailo Posts: 550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    Do you have any security on the phone? Fingerprint? Passcode?

This is the first thing I was wondering and I am very surprised no one else has asked this (upon skim reading the posts, maybe I missed it?).

@Maquinn88, generally the only way someone can access your phone is if your phone did not have a lockpin/ fingerprint lock OR somene knew your pin. If either of these are true, you've let people have unlimited access to everything on your phone so you can't really expect the bank to reimburse you. The only other way is SIM cloning which is more difficult or if the phone number was switched, again more difficult to do without your knowledge.
  • Dean000000
    Dean000000 Posts: 612 Forumite
    Options
    djpailo wrote: »
    This is the first thing I was wondering and I am very surprised no one else has asked this (upon skim reading the posts, maybe I missed it?).

@Maquinn88, generally the only way someone can access your phone is if your phone did not have a lockpin/ fingerprint lock OR somene knew your pin. If either of these are true, you've let people have unlimited access to everything on your phone so you can't really expect the bank to reimburse you. The only other way is SIM cloning which is more difficult or if the phone number was switched, again more difficult to do without your knowledge.

It’s worse than that I’m afraid. If you actually read all posts you’ll see op admits to having exclusively spent this time with family members...yet isn’t bothered about taking them to task....

Basically he gambled his savings and is creating an ill thought out story to try and get his bank to pay for his mistake.
  • dizzyexponent
    Options
    I know it is an old thread but need to add my thoughts on this...

I was in the midst of a terrible gambling addiction a few years back, I did this exact same thing, gambled a lot online and then pretended to the bank it wasn't me.

I was saying all the exact things to them the OP has said.

Rightfully so, I now have a Category 6 CIFAS marker on my file for fraudulent chargeback claims and am untouchable by anyone until 2023

I am not accusing you of anything OP, just think twice because if this is what you are doing it really isn't worth it.
  • deadendwaterfall
    Options

I was in the midst of a terrible gambling addiction a few years back, I did this exact same thing, gambled a lot online and then pretended to the bank it wasn't me.

Rightfully so, I now have a Category 6 CIFAS marker on my file for fraudulent chargeback claims and am untouchable by anyone until 2023

I am not accusing you of anything OP, just think twice because if this is what you are doing it really isn't worth it.
    How are you even living day to day without a bank account? I mean you certainly won't be able to get a mortgage, get paid a wage or rent anywhere without a bank account to pay the money from or into. :eek:
    :o
  • dizzyexponent
    Options
    How are you even living day to day without a bank account? I mean you certainly won't be able to get a mortgage, get paid a wage or rent anywhere without a bank account to pay the money from or into. :eek:

Luckily Monzo don't check the CIFAS register
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options

Valuable contribution and good advice. This is so common, you honestly wouldn't believe how often this happens and how many people try this. Addictions lead people to do things they would never normally do, and these things have consequences.

The best people to help this OP, either for self support or to support the family member with a problem, are Gamcare (0808 8020 133 / https://www.gamcare.org.uk/ ).
  • dizzyexponent
    Options
    It is scarily similar to what I was telling the bank. Surprising how gambling addicts all have the same chains of thought

"It must be somebody close to me who had access to my details and I will ask my family members etc..."

Almost word for word. They did actually temporarily refund me but then took it back at a later date and closed my bank account for the fraud

Also, if the gambling site has an account in your name, your address and your DOB then they will not refuse to speak to you as your details will match what they ask and you will clear security
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Luckily Monzo don't check the CIFAS register

They're barking mad then.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 17 March 2019 at 9:38PM
    Options
    The OP says that the transactions were made on multiple websites.
    First of all, these would have still been pending transactions when they returned home from the family dinner. They could not have already debited the account if they had only been made in the last couple of hours.
    Secondly, it is not that easy to either open a large number of new accounts on gabling websites or change the payment card on multiple gambling websites in such a short space of time. Has the OP checked the exact transaction time of these transactions? Were all the transactions made in a very short space of time during the family dinner.
    There is the further very valid point that gabling websites usually pay winnings back to the card used. What would have been the point in gambling all this money if the fraudster could only get the winnings by having them repaid to your account.
    Who exactly sent the verification e-mail to your phone? Was it the bank or the gambling website? This remains unclear. There has also been some discussion that only one verification e-mail was required as the multiple transactions were somehow linked. How were they linked if they were made on multiple gambling websites? Also multiple transactions on multiple gambling websites in a very short space of time by a customer who has never previously used their card on such websites should have aroused suspicion with the bank, not the opposite because they were 'linked'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure