Card fraud, bank wont refund.

Options
Hi folks, hope this is in the right forum.

I noticed fraudulent transactions to various gambling websites on Friday evening. I have no history with any of these websites. I blocked my card via my banking app and got in touch with customer service. The missing money totalled around £1260. The girl on the phone took down all the information and referred it to the fraud department. She told me I would have a refund by close of business on Monday if I was eligible for one.

Monday evening came and no money or an update so I got in touch. Turns out fraud has denied my claim because the details of the accounts match mine - name, email, date of birth etc. One of the transactions was verified by secure code, which is a text to my phone. It is the only one transaction to this website and is minor compared to what I'm missing. After discussion with the bank we've concluded it is likely someone close to me that's responsible. I was recommended to report it to the police.

I called this morning to pass on the Action Fraud crime reference number I received. The customer service agent asked had I attempted to contact any of the companies myself to see if they can help. I did that and the responses ranged from "we can't discuss with you as it's not your account", which is understandable, to "contact your bank and Action fraud" which I've done.

I was told that fraud would call me if there is an update. I'm expecting silence, I really don't think anything is going to be done. I've no idea who would do this. I've no history gambling. What's my next step? I thought the onus was on the bank to prove I'm lying. Simply having my details does not make it me.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Dean000000
    Dean000000 Posts: 612 Forumite
    Options
    How did the fraudster get the text code sent to your phone?

Was it with a gambling website around the same time as the other fraudulent transactions?
  • Maquinn88
    Maquinn88 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, yes the code was sent to my phone. The other transactions did not require Mastercard secure code. The person in question would need to have access to my phone to verify the transaction, hence the conclusion that it's someone I know. It was just that one transaction. I can forget about pursuing that one if I can get the rest sorted out.
  • Dean000000
    edited 5 March 2019 at 6:03PM
    Options
    Who were you with and what were you doing Friday evening?

Who could have had access to your phone?

Do you still have this text on your phone?
  • Maquinn88
    Options
    I was with family on Friday evening in the earlier part at my home and then out for dinner with family. I have also had workmen in the house the past few weeks but my phone has stayed with me.
  • Dean000000
    Options
    Do you still have the text on your phone?
  • Dean000000
    edited 5 March 2019 at 6:08PM
    Options
    It won’t have been the workmen.

Can you narrow down the family members you were with?

When did you become aware of this activity, and when did you cancel the card on the banking app.

Precisely....
  • Maquinn88
    Options
    Yeah I know who I was with but I don't know which it would have been. I actually don't have the text on my phone, it was the bank that told me there was a transaction verified this way when I first contacted them.
  • Dean000000
    Options
    When did discover the transactions, and when did you cancel the account on the app. Being as precise with timings as you can.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you checked what phone number is now registered on your account?

Have you changed you password on your account?
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    So you know who you were with ... Was your phone in your trousers pocket the whole time? Maybe in a coat pocket, hung up somewhere out of your sight? Put on a table but you then left the room for half-an-hour?

We're trying to help you figure out who this could have been, so you can give the Police that information.

Relate the existing police / action fraud to that one transaction with a verification code; and try to persuade your bank to separate the two instances of fraud ....
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport