The Top Easy Access Savings Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    Yes indeed ... I fear that one or two (you know who you are) have a inclination towards the slightly unpleasant.

The thread is useful and can easily do without contributors full of their own importance.

Oh the irony.
  • murphydavid
    murphydavid Posts: 832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 August 2018 at 8:30AM
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    Coventry are increasing their rate to 1.5 from Sept which compares well.

On 15th Aug I had an email from Coventry saying they will be increasing their (my) rate from 1.25 to 1.4 from Sept and I note from their savings page that new accounts at the moment are 1.4% of which 0.25 is a 1 year bonus. So I presume you have advance information that new accounts will be 1.5 after September. Whats loyalty worth to Coventry? minus 0.1% it appears and if you just opened an account with them you may find yourself on 1.4% not 1.5% after September.
    P.S. Where is the information of the 1.5% being published and what is the name of that account? I will see if Coventry will let me move to that one after September.
    2010 Posts: 5,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 21 August 2018 at 11:24AM
    Options
    Coventry has already stated on their site which accounts are going up on 1/9/18 and if it`s not mentioned on the page, then it stays the same as now.

ie: Previlege Reward ISA is going from 1.3% to 1.4% (no longer available)

But bear in mind this account was CUT last month from 1.65% to 1.3%
  • jcie
    Options
    On the topic of how easy/fast it is to open an account, is there anywhere this information can be found consistently? Anyone have any recommendations?
    Options
    jcie wrote: »
    On the topic of how easy/fast it is to open an account, is there anywhere this information can be found consistently? Anyone have any recommendations?

Charter Bank
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 6,013 Forumite
    edited 21 August 2018 at 11:44AM
    Options
    On 15th Aug I had an email from Coventry saying they will be increasing their (my) rate from 1.25 to 1.4 from Sept and I note from their savings page that new accounts at the moment are 1.4% of which 0.25 is a 1 year bonus. So I presume you have advance information that new accounts will be 1.5 after September. Whats loyalty worth to Coventry? minus 0.1% it appears and if you just opened an account with them you may find yourself on 1.4% not 1.5% after September.
    P.S. Where is the information of the 1.5% being published and what is the name of that account? I will see if Coventry will let me move to that one after September.
    You don't say which account yart, but their previous top easy(ish - limited to 3 w/d pa) access rate ac was paying 1.4% to existing customers.
    The 1.4 is being increased to 1.55% at 01/09 for those existing customers. That ac is no longer available to new applications and a new (similar) 'Limited Access Saver(2)' account is being launched at 1.4%
    In a nutshell existing customers on the 1.4 rate get the 1.55, not available to new applications.
    Options
    soulsaver wrote: »
    You don't say which account yart, but their previous top easy access rate ac was paying 1.4% to existing customers.
    The 1.4 is being increased to 1.55% at 01/09 for those existing customers. That ac is no longer available to new applications and a new (similar) account is being launched at 1.4%
    In a nutshell existing customers on the 1.4 rate get the 1.55, not available to new applications.

You are correct.

If people went to Coventry`s home page, there is a link telling you which accounts are being increased, instead of guessing.
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 6,013 Forumite
    edited 27 August 2018 at 1:15PM
    Options
    2010 wrote: »
    You are correct.

If people went to Coventry`s home page, there is a link telling you which accounts are being increased, instead of guessing.

I must have been editing my post, crossed with yours. :)
    Here's their new savings rates:

https://www.coventrybuildingsociety.co.uk/content/dam/cbs/consumer/pdf/savings/New%20Savings%20Rates%201%20September%202018.pdf
  • murphydavid
    murphydavid Posts: 832 Forumite
    edited 21 August 2018 at 3:12PM
    Options
    soulsaver wrote: »
    You don't say which account yart, but their previous top easy(ish - limited to 3 w/d pa) access rate ac was paying 1.4% to existing customers.
    The 1.4 is being increased to 1.55% at 01/09 for those existing customers. That ac is no longer available to new applications and a new (similar) 'Limited Access Saver(2)' account is being launched at 1.4%

Thanks all is clear now (I think). I was /am on easy access (not limited access) so it looks like I am excluded from the 1.55%. So if I add it up I have to retract my complaint about loyalty as I am ending up with a full access account with 4% where new customers will get 4% but have limited access and some existing customers are the only ones who will get 1.55%.
    However the generalized statement above relating to new accounts by G_M quote "Coventry are increasing their rate to 1.5 from Sept " which caught my attention is actually not available as something that can be applied for. Is that so or am I still miss reading something again.
    One has to stay awake and I am now wondering if I should apply for a limited access account (2) at 1.4% in case the same thing happens again!
  • dekkard
    dekkard Posts: 231 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 August 2018 at 9:10PM
    Options
    Wow, not only do Birmingham Midshires take an eternity to open accounts, and not only is their online platform clunky and unreliable but, worse than all that....

Their home page, which links to their secure login page, is http only - i.e. not secure.

So, a 'man in the middle' could steal your login details.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback