The Top Easy Access Savings Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• julianhodgearepants
    Options
    I opened a Halifax online saver for my mum last year which is due to lose its bonus next week. I rang them up to ask what is the best account they have to transfer her balance to. She is retired and does not pay tax. To my surprise I was told to open another online saver. I have done so and will be moving the funds over on the due date. Is this something that everyone except me is aware of?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is this something that everyone except me is aware of?
    No, not everyone......:T
  • Middle_Sister
    Options
    My vantage accounts have been ticking along nicely for about a year but I just noticed I didnt get any interest for the month of October on 2 of my accounts. Seemingly it was because I didnt pay the money in Sept. Dont understand that because its worked every other month. Need advice about the dates my Standing Order is set for.
    £1K goes out from No. 1 a/c on 28th of the month
    Then I transfer £1K from No. 2 a/c to No. 3 a/c on 29th
    Then I transfer £1K from No. 3 a/c to No. 4 a/c on 29th
    Then I transfer £1K from No. 4 a/c to No. 1 a/c on 27th

What should I change to make sure I never miss out on my interest again?:(
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My vantage accounts have been ticking along nicely for about a year but I just noticed I didnt get any interest for the month of October on 2 of my accounts. Seemingly it was because I didnt pay the money in Sept. Dont understand that because its worked every other month. Need advice about the dates my Standing Order is set for.

I would allow a lot more time in between the transfers, and never do them close to the end of the month.

Sept 29 was a Saturday - - often banks do not process anything until the next working day, which in this case was the next month.

Or you can do the transfers yourself manually, but again, I would not do it at weekends.
  • Middle_Sister
    Middle_Sister Posts: 548 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 October 2012 at 3:26PM
    Options
    innovate wrote: »
    I would allow a lot more time in between the transfers, and never do them close to the end of the month.

Sept 29 was a Saturday - - often banks do not process anything until the next working day, which in this case was the next month.

Or you can do the transfers yourself manually, but again, I would not do it at weekends.

Right oh. I've changed them now to come out on 22nd, 23rd, 23th & 25th Oct so hopefully that's okay. I'm still confused though. Does that mean if the day a DD needs to be paid is a Saturday it means it doesnt actually get paid till the Monday? I thought internet banking was instantaneous.
  • I-LOV-MONEY
    I-LOV-MONEY Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you are using the Faster Payments system (manual transfer) then it is 'instant' (except in the case of Tesco, which can take 10 / 15 minutes!).

Direct Debits tend to transfer on the next working day if due on a weekend.
    Thank you for reading this message.
  • innovate
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Right oh. I've changed them now to come out on 22nd, 23rd, 23th & 25th Oct so hopefully that's okay. I'm still confused though. Does that mean if the day a DD needs to be paid is a Saturday it means it doesnt actually get paid till the Monday? I thought internet banking was instantaneous.

Looks a bit better but you could still get caught out by weekends - e.g. if 22nd is Saturday, the transfer might not get made until the 24th - - or even 25th if Monday is a bank holiday. Since all your transfers are with Lloyds, however, you are probably ok.

This has been working for me w/o a hitch for a couple of years:
    6th Halifax A to Halifax B
    8th Halifax B to Lloyds A
    15th Lloyds A to Lloyds B
    22nd Lloyds B to Lloyds C
    25th Lloyds C to another bank
    29th another bank to Halifax A
  • chris1
    chris1 Posts: 582 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    innovate wrote: »
    This has been working for me w/o a hitch for a couple of years:
    6th Halifax A to Halifax B
    8th Halifax B to Lloyds A
    15th Lloyds A to Lloyds B
    22nd Lloyds B to Lloyds C
    25th Lloyds C to another bank
    29th another bank to Halifax A
    Not that it matters, but you could do the Lloyds on the same day if you're keeping more than £1K in them for the interest...
  • chris1
    chris1 Posts: 582 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Need advice about the dates my Standing Order is set for.

If you have more than 1K in each, why not just set them all up for 1st of the month?
  • innovate
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    chris1 wrote: »
    Not that it matters, but you could do the Lloyds on the same day if you're keeping more than £1K in them for the interest...

I am maxed out for interest purposes all month long, without the £1K. The £1K is just a sum of money that cycles through the accounts to meet the pre-reqs for the account perks / interest deals.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback