The Top Easy Access Savings Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• pqrdef
    pqrdef Posts: 4,552 Forumite
    Options
    So who's left? AA has gone. Barnsley's Online Saver, 2.5% clean for 2 years now, finds itself up there with the leaders, so will surely be off the market soon. Santander's eSaver is floating back to the top, so Issue 43 can't be long coming. Derbyshire's new rate doesn't have that much competition. Then we're scrabbling around in the dross at 2.2%.
    "It will take, five, 10, 15 years to get back to where we need to be. But it's no longer the individual banks that are in the wrong, it's the banking industry as a whole." - Steven Cooper, head of personal and business banking at Barclays, talking to Martin Lewis
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've reduced the amount on instant access cash I hold to less than one year of essentials. Once our current 3.15% deal ends in March, I'll probably go even lower, and our 4% cash ISAs finish in April and they'll probably go into S&S ISAs.

We're all being slowly forced up the risk spectrum.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • pqrdef wrote: »
    So who's left? AA has gone. Barnsley's Online Saver, 2.5% clean for 2 years now, finds itself up there with the leaders, so will surely be off the market soon. Santander's eSaver is floating back to the top, so Issue 43 can't be long coming. Derbyshire's new rate doesn't have that much competition. Then we're scrabbling around in the dross at 2.2%.
    Will Natwest stay at 2.85% once you sign up? I signed up for West Brom after it topped the variable list a few months ago. Have just been told that they have now reduced interest from 3.21% to 2.75% for existing cuastomers. They keep the bonus the same but reduced their base rate. First time I have seen this; normally once signed up, the deal continues for the year even though blocked to new savers.
  • lindllad
    Options
    Hi every one.

New to the forum. I am currently researching the best savings account and have found that Britannia (International) offer a 3% savings account but it's called an offshore account. Are there any implications regarding offshore accounts that I should know about?Britannia are park of the Co-operative group and are protected up to 85k but is Britannia International classed separately?

Put simply - Would my money be safe in one of these offshore accounts? And are there any other things that I need to know when dealing with offshore accounts?

Thank you very much
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Offshore accounts are not covered by the FSCS guarantee.
  • Losov
    Options
    Hello another new one here. Opened an e saver with Natwest on the 23rd online - as recommended by Martin and advertised on the Natwest website - for the 2.85% (inc 1.85% bonus for a year). When paperwork arrived today no mention of the 2.85% just a measly 1.0% on checking their website again no mention of the better rate either. Grateful for your thoughts but expect one to put down as experience of how these things go. Thanks. Cheers.
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Options
    Losov wrote: »
    Hello another new one here. Opened an e saver with Natwest on the 23rd online - as recommended by Martin and advertised on the Natwest website - for the 2.85% (inc 1.85% bonus for a year). When paperwork arrived today no mention of the 2.85% just a measly 1.0% on checking their website again no mention of the better rate either. Grateful for your thoughts but expect one to put down as experience of how these things go. Thanks. Cheers.

Someone else asked the same question here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=56909313#post56909313

See my reply below it, same applies to you. You should get the bonus rate. No idea why Natwest have removed all trace of it from their website.
  • iilg
    iilg Posts: 76 Forumite
    Options
    innovate wrote: »
    Offshore accounts are not covered by the FSCS guarantee.

Britannia Intl are on the IOM who have their own depositors guarantee scheme - max compensation to account holders is 50k, not 85k though.
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    iilg wrote: »
    Britannia Intl are on the IOM who have their own depositors guarantee scheme - max compensation to account holders is 50k, not 85k though.

Having made first hand experience on how (not) to get any money from a small island state after a bank collapse, I wouldn't touch any passport scheme (such as the IOM one) with a bargepole now. Hoping that the UK Government would bail out UK depositors again is a very high risk strategy at the very least.
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    GeicoGecko wrote: »
    Hi
    I would like to know more about this scheme.Please give me more information.
    Thanks.
    Simply put it into Google or look here:

http://www.gov.im/fsc/investor/dep_comp.xml
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family