The Top Easy Access Savings Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that information has been computerised for years - bank details, doctors records, the HR system if you are employed, etc...
  • Sparklingsilver
    Options
    You are quite right but individual transactions via the branch are one thing. Collective accumulative online data is my concern. I am too well aware of the weakness of security to be found in many public and private organisations. So the choice for me is limited.
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No dodgy deals just a very private person! It will not be too long before every thing about an individual from birth to death will be available at the press of a key. That may not bother some but it certainly does me! Every heard of lost data?

I understand that you like to remain private. But in this day and age there will be details about you that are readily buyable, especially if you are on the electoral roll. Have a look and see if you can find a reference to yourself on https://www.192.com
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    You are quite right but individual transactions via the branch are one thing. Collective accumulative online data is my concern. I am too well aware of the weakness of security to be found in many public and private organisations. So the choice for me is limited.
    No, you're quite wrong about this. Transactions made in a branch are not contained therein. The information you provide for the transaction is passed to the banks' own systems and then if you want to send money to someone else that information has to be parceled and sent to the receiving banks systems. This information is generally passed along twisted paired telephone wires of the same type used to supply your telephone line and internet service. Nobody is likely to gather any more or less information about you whether you carry out the transaction from you home or the bank staff do it for you in a branch.
  • Sparklingsilver
    Options
    Yes, I have seen 192.com and it never ceases to amaze me and hence my concern.
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    Yes, I have seen 192.com and it never ceases to amaze me and hence my concern.
    So, the horse has bolted, as it were. Therefore why worry further!
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Steve_xx wrote: »
    I understand that you like to remain private. But in this day and age there will be details about you that are readily buyable, especially if you are on the electoral roll. Have a look and see if you can find a reference to yourself on www.192.com

192.com gets their data from the Electoral Register. So if you tick the "opt out" box, your data never gets sold to those 3rd parties. Shame councils don't make people opt-in, and only offer opt-out - - but that offer does exist.
  • Nanny55
    Options
    Have just visited Halifax site and their Online Saveris 2.05 under 20,000. Am I looking in the wrong place?:question::question::question::question:
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Options
    Nanny55 wrote: »
    Have just visited Halifax site and their Online Saveris 2.05 under 20,000. Am I looking in the wrong place?:question::question::question::question:

Nope, that account has been withdrawn now.

There are still accounts with similar rates from the AA (2.8%) and Derbyshire Building Society (2.75%), but I'd move fast if you want to open one. They're not likely to be around for long.
  • pqrdef
    pqrdef Posts: 4,552 Forumite
    Options
    And Derbyshire NetSaver 6 is now replaced by Issue 7, paying 2.5% gross/AER including 1.5% fixed bonus.

No extension of bonus end date, still 28th Feb 2014.

And they've got my cheque, but it hasn't cleared yet. This is where we find out whose side Nationwide is really on.
    "It will take, five, 10, 15 years to get back to where we need to be. But it's no longer the individual banks that are in the wrong, it's the banking industry as a whole." - Steven Cooper, head of personal and business banking at Barclays, talking to Martin Lewis
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback