Options

Comments

• ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,144 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 22 April at 10:39AM
    Options
    CuparLad said:
    Does anyone recall the minimum balance for the Metro Bank Online Instant Access Savings when launched back in Nov'23 @ 5.22%? I have a note that says £500, but the current IA Accounts are minimum £1 so want to be sure what the required minimum balance is to keep it open after the interest rate cut today.
    There was a minimum account balance of £500 that must be reached within 28 calendar days of account opening to qualify for the higher rate
    From the T&Cs:
    • Limited Edition rate of 5.10% Gross / 5.22% AER* (variable)
    • From 10 November 2023 you can earn a Limited Edition rate of 5.22% AER* (variable) for 12 months if a minimum account balance of £500 is reached within 28 calendar days of account opening.
    • • During the 12-month period the rate can vary meaning it can go up or down, but it will not go below the Standard Variable rate that is available at that time.
    • • Your account will earn Standard Variable rate interest until you meet the Limited Edition rate criteria.
    • Standard Variable rate of 1.64% Gross / 1.65% AER* (variable)
    • If your account balance does not reach £500 within 28 calendar days of account opening you will be eligible for our Standard Variable rate of 1.64% Gross / 1.65% AER* (variable).
    But I see nothing about maintaining that balance once the eligibility criteria is met. It's basically the Instant Access Savings Account with a better rate and that account has a minimum balance of £1
    I plan to remove all but £5 today or tomorrow and move it to the Chase Boosted Rate Saver or the Santander 5.20% one but I'll keep this as the new 4.97% rate may have its day in the sun again
  • auser99
    auser99 Posts: 233 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    gt94sss2 said:
    auser99 said
    Is it tomorrow (22nd) that the 5.22% (5.1% for monthly interest) drops?
    Yes, though the 22nd is today not tomorrow 
    Apologies my mistake, losing track of the days. Not helped by looking in my metro online app and it still says the 5.1% interest level too!
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,144 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Yes mine as well
  • Bridlington1
    Bridlington1 Posts: 2,496 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 22 April at 10:47AM
    Options
  • Zopa_Trooper
    Zopa_Trooper Posts: 276 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You're best setting up just one withdrawal account with Metro (probably others too) then money coming out is a simple transaction. Emptied mine today, still have the 5.2 Santander for now but the 5.1% easy access ISA with CHIP is my main "savings" account now.
  • cadguy77
    cadguy77 Posts: 60 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just to add, minimum deposit amount is £1000 per transaction, minimum withdrawal amount is £500 per transaction.
  • allegro120
    allegro120 Posts: 910 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You're best setting up just one withdrawal account with Metro (probably others too) then money coming out is a simple transaction. Emptied mine today, still have the 5.2 Santander for now but the 5.1% easy access ISA with CHIP is my main "savings" account now.
    There is only one external withdrawal account at a time allowed with Metro IA.  Also you can't change it more than three times a month.
  • FIREmenow
    FIREmenow Posts: 217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi all, 
    Just wondering what people's strategy is when rates are slowly going down? 

Do you open new (lower rate) EA accounts/new issue numbers in case these become the best rates left in the future? Or when there's a cut does it tend to be applied to several issues at once?

Apart from reg savers, I've got the Santander Edge Saver, Cahoot Sunny, then a couple of triple access accounts and one easy access all between 5.0-5.15%

I also have the secure trust one year bond at 5.25% - need to decide how much to lock away soon.

I'm late to the game so these were all opened since late January. Not sure if I should keep opening accounts speculatively for the future. 1 I'd be interested to hear your plans and any thoughts on which providers have been best as interest rates fall in the past (if there is ever a pattern, and recognising that no one has a crystal ball!).

Thanks all.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure