The Top Easy Access Savings Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• mebu60
    mebu60 Posts: 945 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    jaypers said:
    Not that anyone with any sense still uses it anyway, but……..

Excuse me, I have £500 in there! The Virgin Money M Plus current account (with about £5 in there) is the back-up to my main current account held elsewhere so I keep £500 in the saver just in case as it's 0.5% more than the current account.
  • pokemaster
    pokemaster Posts: 228 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Makes you wonder if Nationwide do purchase it they will put it back up to the current one and say how good they are for doing that? 
  • TheBanker
    TheBanker Posts: 1,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Makes you wonder if Nationwide do purchase it they will put it back up to the current one and say how good they are for doing that? 
    It'll be several years before Nationwide take control of Virgin, if the deal goes ahead at all. I think the savings market will look very different by then and nobody will even remember this rate cut. 
  • liamcov
    liamcov Posts: 618 Forumite
    Options
    Barclays Rainy Day saver - my statement says 5% but some places here say 5.12% - what is the difference here?
  • janusdesign
    janusdesign Posts: 717 Forumite
    Options
    liamcov said:
    Barclays Rainy Day saver - my statement says 5% but some places here say 5.12% - what is the difference here?
    the gross rate is 5%, the AER is 5.12%
    Rainy Day Saver rates | Barclays
  • Qyburn
    Qyburn Posts: 2,347 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    allegro120 said:

This makes the total number of my Virgin profiles 4.  They still haven't managed to bring Claydesdale and Yorkshire profiles together,  I wonder if this will change when Nationwide will complete the purchase.
    Probably just add to it.
  • Mr._H_2
    Mr._H_2 Posts: 488 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 March at 12:28PM
    Options
    liamcov said:
    the gross rate is 5%, the AER is 5.12%
    Rainy Day Saver rates | Barclays
    At the risk of over-complicating matters, but to be completely accurate, the 5.12% AER rate is not achievable if you deposit anything more than £4793.44 at account opening and don't make any withdrawals over the next year.

This is because the 5.12% AER rate assumes compounding, i.e. "interest on interest": at the end of the month, interest is added to the account, increasing the balance and then the next month, you are earning interest on your original deposit, plus the previous month's interest. However, because the interest on the account is 5% only up to £5000, and 1.15% on balances above that, you would earn 5.03% AER if you deposited £5000 at account opening and left it there for a year.
  • Bridlington1
    Bridlington1 Posts: 2,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    @soulsaver
    Monument EA  5.11% £25k min (across all accounts) now NLA
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 6,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    @soulsaver
    Monument EA  5.11% £25k min (across all accounts) now NLA
    Still available on their webby atm 15.54 hrs. No doubt it will disappear shortly if Moneyfacts are correct (usually)... 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback