We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Symbio Energy feedback

Options

Comments

• Tafrock
    Tafrock Posts: 747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The way the transfer is bring handled as detailed in this thread. Their customer service team (you are appointed a adviser at signup) don't Seem very proficient. I got an answer immediately to my question about login details and fired off another few questions regarding what should be basic requirements of a utility supplier. I specifically asked what happens if I build up credit due to overestimating usage ie how or when can I ger credit back. Also what happens if underestimation occurs. How do I pay the deficit. how often is direct debit reviewed. I also asked what name appears on bank account as taking the monthly sum (so I can advise my bank account I am due 2 per cent cash back as a utility company entitles me to cash back). i also asked what date debits would be taken.

I've changed many times and I'm positive these questions are answered prior to changing not once you are committed.

No where in terms and conditions are these questions answered.

Initial email from them states they answer all questiond (or endeavour to) within 24 hours. I asked on Thursday. No reply yet

Maybe I'm. Getting over concerned
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,547 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    fewkeste wrote: »

So, if I understand what you've previously written, that reading taken about 5 days before I start with my new company will be used by the 3rd party verification company to calculate an artificial 'final reading' (because they know my typical daily consumption.) Is that correct? Then this artificially calculated 'final reading' is passed to both the losing supplier and the gaining supplier. The losing supplier calculates the bill (and any refund or payment due) using this calculated 'final reading' and the gaining supplier uses this 'final reading' as the day 1 start reading.

Am I correct in my interpretation of what you've written?

On this specific point - up until the last 6 months, every time that I have switched, the reading I have given the gaining supplier has also been used by the losing supplier.

HOWEVER, recently ,I have had two occasions when the losing supplier has used an "estimated" reading to close the account ,which differs from the reading I have given the new supplier.
    This would be OK IF the new supplier altered their opening reading to match but it hasn't happened !! Dependent on this estimated closing read, the Utility Cos. can be trying to double charge for units consumed.

I don't think that the 3rd party verification route is working in a timely fashion -probably because of all the supplier failures over the last 12 months or so. And the administrators of the defunct Companies are desperate to raise as much cash as possible.

I have had one issue resolved (in my favour:T) but the 2nd occasion is still live; if I settled the bill I would be paying for over 100 kwh of leccy twice:(
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,547 Forumite
    Options
    Tafrock wrote: »
    Just noticed on symbio website a message saying customer service will be closed on 23rd April. Why??? its not a bank holiday

Some companies work Good Friday and give Tuesday after as day off. Certainly happens in this part of the world (South Wales):)
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,109 Forumite
    edited 16 April 2019 at 10:06AM
    Options
    Like you I'm leaving powershop fewkeste. I will continue to supply daily readings to powershop until I longer can. That way my powerpacks will work to the best of their potential

Anyone else slightly alarmed about symbios handling of new accounts

I'm getting to be. If they are like this at start what will they be like if I ever have to reclaim credit. Anyone had any answers to question about reclaiming excess credit

I suppose the only issue I have is they mixed me up with another customer and as a result my switch took place on the 13 April instead of 25 April as agreed with Symbio. When I queried this they apologised and offered me £10 off the first bill. I said considering it was not my fault as the whole point of waiting so I would not lose the £20 bonus from my leaving supplier. They then agreed a further £10 off the the 2nd bill.

Also since receiving their very first email at the outset I never heard anything from them and it was only by me speaking to the former supplier I was made aware the supply had left them a day before.

As I have said before they do not take the dd payment in advance and it is set at a sensible level so in the event of the unexpected it should not cause too much of a problem.

Anyway they are the cheapest on the market for me so will stay put.
  • Biggus_Dickus
    Biggus_Dickus Posts: 1,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 16 April 2019 at 11:32AM
    Options
    @Biggus Dickus

Just checking my understanding. I'm in the process of moving suppliers. I start with my new supplier on 24th April but they have said that around 19th April they will contact me and ask for a reading.

So, if I understand what you've previously written, that reading taken about 5 days before I start with my new company will be used by the 3rd party verification company to calculate an artificial 'final reading' (because they know my typical daily consumption.) Is that correct? Then this artificially calculated 'final reading' is passed to both the losing supplier and the gaining supplier. The losing supplier calculates the bill (and any refund or payment due) using this calculated 'final reading' and the gaining supplier uses this 'final reading' as the day 1 start reading.

Am I correct in my interpretation of what you've written?

Is it also the case that the only benefit of taking a meter reading myself on the last day at the last minute (in my case 2359hrs on 23rd April) is to satisfy myself the independant 3rd party verification company has got the 'final reading' estimate/calculation roughly right?

Is it also the case that any attempt by me to submit this 'truly accurate' reading to both losing and gaining suppliers will cause trouble/muddy the waters as they will both work from the 3rd party verification figure? (unless it's wildly innacurate of course)

Have I got the process sussed?
    The verifiers will only adjust your meter reading if it does not meet their criteria. I’ve been personally involved in 5 switches in the last 18 months;...I’ve always submitted accurate gas and leccy readings (only on switch-over day!) and ALL the readings eventually came back unaltered as ‘industry verified’

The email you’ll receive 5 days prior to switch-over day isn’t a specific request to submit meter readings on that particular day;...the email is merely an instruction to tell you that you must submit your final meter reading in the coming days.

If you wish to keep things simple/accurate the only leccy reading you should submit to Symbio is the reading on switch-over day because that is the exact day when Symbio officially becomes your new supplier.

If you do supply your meter reading to Symbio 5 days prior to switch-over day then it wouldn’t be an issue as such;...however, (and to the best of my knowledge) that reading will be sent off to the verifiers and, if it meets the verifiers ‘criteria’, will then become your official ‘verified’ final reading,...albeit a reading that was taken 5 days before your actual switch-over day.

If you are moving to a more expensive tariff (which most people are unfortunately) you could end up paying a higher charge to Symbio for 5 days leccy that was actually supplied by your previous (cheaper) company.

The meter reading verification process is carried out by official OFGEM licensed verifiers for both gas and leccy and it’s designed to ensure a smooth and harmonious customer transition from one supplier to another,...albeit a process that introduces an inherent delay.

It will highlight and correct (as near as possible) genuine customer ‘meter reading’ errors. It prevents customers submitting deliberate false readings in an attempt to gain a financial advantage. It provides tangible meter readings for those customers who, for whatever reason, fail to provide ‘final meter readings’. It also means that customers should never be in the position of paying twice for the same gas/leccy during the transition period because the losing and gaining suppliers (and ultimately the customer) are duty bound by OFGEM legislation to accept the ‘verified’ final meter readings. There is a ‘dispute’ procedure though.

However, as ‘brewerdave’ points out in post #73, things can go awry when your previous supplier has gone bust and is being run by financial administrators.

This article explains the process,... and the calculations used by the verifiers....it's riveting stuff! :D: https://www.so.energy/so/help-and-advice/faq/switching-to-us/Opening-Read-Validation
  • Tafrock
    Options
    OK so today I got a series of emails which has provided me enough information to allow my switch to continue

My switch date is now one day later at 25th April (not a problem) guess its caused by the easter holidays

I have been told my direct debit will be for the actual amount of my bill which again isn't a problem. Its what I'm used to with powershop however I did sign up to a fixed direct debit amount. I prefer just paying the bill if I'm honest. Not going to accumulate credit that way

Also I am to be billed on the first week of each month but collection not until around 20th

I'm happy with that.. I also have my customer number

Today I bought my final powerpack with powershop. Easter feast with a discount of 26.8%
  • Tafrock
    edited 18 April 2019 at 8:48AM
    Options
    Symbios website updated today with a message about Easter opening hours

Closed Friday Sunday Monday and Tuesday

Friday and Monday for Easter

Tuesday for system updates

At end of message is this 'Please feel free to e-mail us or leave a message and we promise to revert to you immediately after the 24th April 2019. We hope this has not inconvenienced you too much. If we fail to meet your expectations, we are truly sorry. Let us know where we have fallen below the standards and we will rectify our mistakes and revert to you with a heartfelt apology and a belated Easter Egg.

A free Easter egg. I like that
  • fewkeste
    fewkeste Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Symbios website updated today with a message about Easter opening hours

Closed Friday Sunday Monday and Tuesday

Friday and Monday for Easter

Tuesday for system updates

At end of message is this 'Please feel free to e-mail us or leave a message and we promise to revert to you immediately after the 24th April 2019. We hope this has not inconvenienced you too much. If we fail to meet your expectations, we are truly sorry. Let us know where we have fallen below the standards and we will rectify our mistakes and revert to you with a heartfelt apology and a belated Easter Egg.

A free Easter egg. I like that

It's a bit concerning that they don't appear to understand basic English.

Revert???
  • Tafrock
    Options
    I did notice that.
  • Biggus_Dickus
    Biggus_Dickus Posts: 1,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    It's a bit concerning that they don't appear to understand basic English.

Revert???
    I've always known 'revert' to mean 'reply'. It was common parlance years ago but I've not heard it for yonks..
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback