Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries

Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***) - Page 84

New Post Advanced Search

Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***)

edited 10 February 2019 at 10:36AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
984 replies 145.7K views

Replies

• od244051od244051 Forumite
    601 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭
    Some Aldis still got things like cans of tuna, tomato ketchup, stock cubes etc on top of the freezers and some have cabinet freezers with troughs underneath. 
  • Rosa_DamascenaRosa_Damascena Forumite
    1.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    You could just ask one of the assistants ;)
    That's exactly what I did, and that is why my post was so specific :wink:
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    23K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My store changed layout on refurbishment but a few weeks back some things moved back! So, the cans and pickles have kept new homes because of new freezers but the cheese has gone back to opposite the meat. 😁
  • Rosa_DamascenaRosa_Damascena Forumite
    1.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    The galia melons on offer at Aldi are lovely. I'm not a particular melon fan, but I managed to graze on a whole one yesterday afternoon without even noticing...! 
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • andygbandygb Forumite
    14.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The galia melons on offer at Aldi are lovely. I'm not a particular melon fan, but I managed to graze on a whole one yesterday afternoon without even noticing...! 

We popped into a local large Aldi last week (first time since February) and my wife always buys melons. The Galia ones were so sweet, really lovely after chilling them down in the fridge.
  • duncanthedogduncanthedog Forumite
    3.9K posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    The plums from Aldi today are not a patch on the ones from Lidl last week, the Aldi ones are basically tasteless where the Lidl one were so sharp and bursting with flavour.
  • od244051od244051 Forumite
    601 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭
    Could someone tell me how does the 'traffic lights' work in Aldi's entrances? Everyone I know has always turned up and the lights are always on green, even when they leave. Then once inside, its quite crowded and some customers not social distancing at all
  • harz99harz99 Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    od244051 said:
    Could someone tell me how does the 'traffic lights' work in Aldi's entrances? Everyone I know has always turned up and the lights are always on green, even when they leave. Then once inside, its quite crowded and some customers not social distancing at all
    As far as I'm aware it's a simple counter on both entry/exit doors, and stays green until the preset number allowed in store is reached, then turns red. I've never been in other than during 0730-0800 times so never seen it happen. If as I suspect, the local managers are able to alter the number the system is set at, well like a lot of the initial measures now abandoned in many supermarkets maybe it has been quietly reset much higher to avoid any hassle or need to staff outside...customers, well you see people ignoring the rules/guidelines everywhere, like the off duty Aldi staffer doing his shopping yesterday morning in Bishop Auckland with his face mask round his chin and mouth only, and even dropping it off his mouth to talk to other staff!
  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    7.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    The plums from Aldi today are not a patch on the ones from Lidl last week, the Aldi ones are basically tasteless where the Lidl one were so sharp and bursting with flavour.
    We're not sufficiently educated in this country on varieties of fruit and veg.  The variety makes a huge difference to texture and flavour, but knowledge and information is poor.

Apples aren't just apples and neither are plums,  but it's describing a multiplicity of fruits as easy peelers, sometimes with no further detail,  tbat really hacks me off.
  • CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.4K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got some of the special offer Baklava yesterday in Lidl.   No idea how traditional they are, but they are delicious.  
    Ex Board Guide