Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries

Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***) - Page 82

New Post Advanced Search

Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***)

edited 10 February 2019 at 10:36AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
948 replies 143.2K views
1798082848595

Replies

  • EenymeenyEenymeeny Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    dlusman said:
    Stompa said:
    What's happened to Aldi's yogurts? No plastic lids on any (and there must have been hundreds) of their 450g cartons today (across all types of yogurt). I know they often fall off, but this was ridiculous. Maybe there's a shortage?

    https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2020/02/aldi-to-save-68m-tonnes-of-single-use-plastic-with-plastic-lid-ban/


    Thanks for the heads up on lid removal. I use those tubs for storage for lots of things, including in the garden shed to keep things dry. I just offered some to a friend with an allotment as I have enough for my use. They're also handy for carrying berries etc back from the allotment with out getting squashed! They could become a rare item!
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • Rosa_DamascenaRosa_Damascena Forumite
    1.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Eenymeeny said:
    dlusman said:
    Stompa said:
    What's happened to Aldi's yogurts? No plastic lids on any (and there must have been hundreds) of their 450g cartons today (across all types of yogurt). I know they often fall off, but this was ridiculous. Maybe there's a shortage?

    https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2020/02/aldi-to-save-68m-tonnes-of-single-use-plastic-with-plastic-lid-ban/


    Thanks for the heads up on lid removal. I use those tubs for storage for lots of things, including in the garden shed to keep things dry. I just offered some to a friend with an allotment as I have enough for my use. They're also handy for carrying berries etc back from the allotment with out getting squashed! They could become a rare item!
    IME you can get a lot more berries home in a Carte D'Or ice cream box :D
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    22.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed the lids disappeared from cottage cheese in Aldi early in lockdown but they still had them on quark. I've kept all I had so OK for the time being. It's not very anti obesity friendly to eat a whole pot in one go. 🤔🤣
  • mikbmikb Forumite
    285 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    'Easy peelers' from Lidl. I suppose at a push you could call them tangerines, are not particularly easy to peel nor are they very tasty, a bit bland is as much as I could say.
    If they are the same as the "Easy Peelers" I get in Morrisons, they are a bit hit and miss on flavour. I think they are Sweet Clementines, rebranded :)
  • StompaStompa Forumite
    8.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Eenymeeny said:
    dlusman said:
    Stompa said:
    What's happened to Aldi's yogurts? No plastic lids on any (and there must have been hundreds) of their 450g cartons today (across all types of yogurt). I know they often fall off, but this was ridiculous. Maybe there's a shortage?

    https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2020/02/aldi-to-save-68m-tonnes-of-single-use-plastic-with-plastic-lid-ban/


    Thanks for the heads up on lid removal. I use those tubs for storage for lots of things, including in the garden shed to keep things dry. I just offered some to a friend with an allotment as I have enough for my use. They're also handy for carrying berries etc back from the allotment with out getting squashed! They could become a rare item!
    Whilst looking for reusable replacements, I was rather surprised to come across this:

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/114216861209

    I wonder if there are many buyers!

    Stompa
  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    7.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    mikb said:
    'Easy peelers' from Lidl. I suppose at a push you could call them tangerines, are not particularly easy to peel nor are they very tasty, a bit bland is as much as I could say.
    If they are the same as the "Easy Peelers" I get in Morrisons, they are a bit hit and miss on flavour. I think they are Sweet Clementines, rebranded :)
    Easy peelers is a ludicrously generic way to describe a whole heap of entirely different fruits such as clementines, satsumas and tangerines.

    All quite different, and Satsumas in particular have very little flavour.  We’ve stopped lumping different varieties of apple together like this - why are we putting up with this laziness?  Easy peelers without a proper description = no purchase from me.
  • harz99harz99 Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Doc_N said:
    mikb said:
    'Easy peelers' from Lidl. I suppose at a push you could call them tangerines, are not particularly easy to peel nor are they very tasty, a bit bland is as much as I could say.
    If they are the same as the "Easy Peelers" I get in Morrisons, they are a bit hit and miss on flavour. I think they are Sweet Clementines, rebranded :)
    Easy peelers is a ludicrously generic way to describe a whole heap of entirely different fruits such as clementines, satsumas and tangerines.

    All quite different, and Satsumas in particular have very little flavour.  We’ve stopped lumping different varieties of apple together like this - why are we putting up with this laziness?  Easy peelers without a proper description = no purchase from me.
    The Aldi ones have the variety and origin on the label in fairly small print near the use by date...
  • takataka Forumite
    3.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Could you use a small beeswax wrap (or a vegan equivalent) for a yoghurt / cream etc lid? Ikea and Lakeland also have stretchy silicone reusable lids that are food grade and dishwasher friendly that should work too.
    2020 MFW #51 Mortgage free as of 12/08/20!
    MFiT-5 no 45
    You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
  • EenymeenyEenymeeny Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Eenymeeny said:
    dlusman said:
    Stompa said:
    What's happened to Aldi's yogurts? No plastic lids on any (and there must have been hundreds) of their 450g cartons today (across all types of yogurt). I know they often fall off, but this was ridiculous. Maybe there's a shortage?

    https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2020/02/aldi-to-save-68m-tonnes-of-single-use-plastic-with-plastic-lid-ban/


    Thanks for the heads up on lid removal. I use those tubs for storage for lots of things, including in the garden shed to keep things dry. I just offered some to a friend with an allotment as I have enough for my use. They're also handy for carrying berries etc back from the allotment with out getting squashed! They could become a rare item!
    IME you can get a lot more berries home in a Carte D'Or ice cream box :D
    Ha ha I use those ice cream boxes too. Great for items like burgers, chicken breasts, made up meals etc. I'm a terrible hoarder with packaging that 'could come in handy later'  Looks like it might turn into an investment, looking at Stompa's post. Packaging is needed for protection and taking the lids off yogurt which is going to be transported doesn't sound like a good idea to me. (Iceland still sell a 'bucket' of bio yogurt if anyone is interested. Tastes lovely!)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • mikbmikb Forumite
    285 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Doc_N said:
    mikb said:
    'Easy peelers' from Lidl. I suppose at a push you could call them tangerines, are not particularly easy to peel nor are they very tasty, a bit bland is as much as I could say.
    If they are the same as the "Easy Peelers" I get in Morrisons, they are a bit hit and miss on flavour. I think they are Sweet Clementines, rebranded :)
    Easy peelers is a ludicrously generic way to describe a whole heap of entirely different fruits such as clementines, satsumas and tangerines.

    All quite different, and Satsumas in particular have very little flavour.  We’ve stopped lumping different varieties of apple together like this - why are we putting up with this laziness?  Easy peelers without a proper description = no purchase from me.
    The ones I was thinking of are listed as "Sweetclem Family Pack Easy Peelers" (Celementine Clemenules), but can also turn up as "Mandarin Nadorcott"


    If they are so easy to peel, why do I need a knife to start them?

Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support