Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries

Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***) - Page 67

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***)

edited 10 February 2019 at 9:36AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
1.1K replies 152.2K views

Replies

• ididntgetwhereiamtodayididntgetwhereiamtoday Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    The Aldi ketchup used to be horrible but we tried it again this week and it is actually very nice. As good as Heinz and only 49 p a bottle of 650g which is about a quarter of the price. 
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
  • StompaStompa Forumite
    8.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Aldi ketchup used to be horrible but we tried it again this week and it is actually very nice. As good as Heinz and only 49 p a bottle of 650g which is about a quarter of the price. 
    Interesting. It used to be good many years ago, then they changed the recipe back in 2011 after which it was awful. Sounds like maybe they've changed it again?

Stompa
  • duncanthedogduncanthedog Forumite
    4K posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Having tried them both over the years I have always preferred the Lidl ketchup but may try the Aldi one again.
  • mac.dmac.d Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I should have said I was thinking of the kind of people who'd try chancing their arm so wouldn't be in uniform or have an ID badge! Cynicism borne out of recent lockdown shenanigans and the realisation that more people are going to start thinking, 'we're not really all in it together so I'll do what I want'.

To me the key workers being given priority access isn't just a thanks but an appreciation that they are still out working when many others are at home, so please go ahead to the front of the queue and don't wait. Although admittedly that's maybe a daft thought as it has really just been mainly for NHS, and not any others deemed key workers.

And to keep this on-topic. I only recently tried the Aldi ketchup having always used Heinz. It tastes ok but I do find it a bit watery. Do Lidl do a version of the reduced salt & sugar ketchup (Aldi now do which is why I've tried it)?
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    23.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's only slightly off topic as we often comment on the shopping experience in Aldi as well as the products. 😉

I fear that the ability to go to the front of the queue is too open to abuse rather like disabled and child parking spaces. A young, fit looking couple in the queue last week took 2 trolleys. I think they told the guy on the door they were shopping for 2 families. Once inside, they just dumped the second trolley in the aisle and carried on shopping together. ☹️

• od244051od244051 Forumite
    628 posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭
    maman said:
    It's only slightly off topic as we often comment on the shopping experience in Aldi as well as the products. 😉

I fear that the ability to go to the front of the queue is too open to abuse rather like disabled and child parking spaces. A young, fit looking couple in the queue last week took 2 trolleys. I think they told the guy on the door they were shopping for 2 families. Once inside, they just dumped the second trolley in the aisle and carried on shopping together. ☹️

Seen this in Sainsburys as well.
  • Rosa_DamascenaRosa_Damascena Forumite
    1.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    maman said:

Perhaps they will grow up one day.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • General_GrantGeneral_Grant Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    maman said:

I suppose either it was a non-deposit trolley or they thought it was worth £1 to shop together.
  • Ken68Ken68 Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have been using a Tesco button to access Lidl trolleys. Slightly shaved down they work a treat and on my last visit found a LIDL button, didn;t know they existed.