Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries

Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***) - Page 66

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***)

edited 10 February 2019 at 9:36AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
1.1K replies 151.7K views

Replies

• General_GrantGeneral_Grant Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Doc_N said:
    Maybe Aldi have cracked it:

Aldi is putting traffic lights at store entrances as a new way of limiting shopper numbers during the coronavirus crisis. 
    The lights turn from red to green when the next customer can enter, and control the number inside based on the store’s capacity and two-metre social distancing guidelines. 
    The automatic doors only open when the lights are green.
    The lights are rolling out at Aldi stores nationwide from this week, following a trial in 10 branches. 
    NHS and blue-light workers are encouraged to go to straight to the front of the queue and other customers are asked to respect their priority access, Aldi said. 
    Stores are also encouraging one customer per trolley where possible.

So, to maintain social distancing, everyone else shuffles back however many 2-metres are required.  So absolutely no way of knowing how long you might have to wait because of others joining at the front of the queue.
  • harz99harz99 Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Doc_N said:

Aldi is putting traffic lights at store entrances as a new way of limiting shopper numbers during the coronavirus crisis. 
    The lights turn from red to green when the next customer can enter, and control the number inside based on the store’s capacity and two-metre social distancing guidelines. 
    The lights are rolling out at Aldi stores nationwide from this week, following a trial in 10 branches. 
    NHS and blue-light workers are encouraged to go to straight to the front of the queue and other customers are asked to respect their priority access, Aldi said. 

One customer per trolley doesn't work, all couples are doing is taking a trolley each and cluttering up the store even more! 
  • blueskinnedbeastblueskinnedbeast Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    harz99 said:
    Doc_N said:

One customer per trolley doesn't work, all couples are doing is taking a trolley each and cluttering up the store even more! 
    Seen this a few times  >:)
    Just another example of people looking out for themselves.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • suki1964suki1964 Forumite
    14.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    harz99 said:
    Doc_N said:

Not everyone can shop on their own

I often need my husband to come with me. Id prefer not to take him as hes a pain in the !!!!!! , but with my mobility problems, we can at least get in and out as fast as possible and Im not asking for staff help
  • od244051od244051 Forumite
    625 posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭
    Doc_N said:

How does the lights work? By time? From sensors in the area as you enter the store? Can see someone impatient barging into the doors breaking them.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • mac.dmac.d Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I have my doubts about people walking to the front of queue and saying, but I work for the NHS, and everyone in the queue just saying "yeah sure fine on you go".... or am I just too cynical?!
  • Rosa_DamascenaRosa_Damascena Forumite
    1.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    mac.d said:
    I have my doubts about people walking to the front of queue and saying, but I work for the NHS, and everyone in the queue just saying "yeah sure fine on you go".... or am I just too cynical?!
    We have ID cards with clear NHS livery that even the illiterate cannot fail to understand.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • suki1964suki1964 Forumite
    14.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mac.d said:
    Our Tesco allows NHS workers and the emergency services workers to the front of the queue. theres no problem. Not everyone uses it, some are happy to stand in line but I imagine those that do are rushing to get everything done between shifts and childcare and home schooling etc 
  • harz99harz99 Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    mac.d said:
    We have ID cards with clear NHS livery that even the illiterate cannot fail to understand.
    Exactly, and I would expect that any NHS or other key worker's entitled to jump the normal Q would show their ID badge to the front of the Q every time they use the privilege as a matter of course.
  • Rosa_DamascenaRosa_Damascena Forumite
    1.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    harz99 said:
    mac.d said:
    Exactly, and I would expect that any NHS or other key worker's entitled to jump the normal Q would show their ID badge to the front of the Q every time they use the privilege as a matter of course.
    I have never used mine. At the start I queued with everyone else, but I later worked out when supermarkets are quieter and have picked my times accordingly.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.