Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries

Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***) - Page 65

New Post Advanced Search

Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***)

edited 10 February 2019 at 10:36AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
820 replies 133.6K views

Replies

• Space_CaptainSpace_Captain Forumite
    153 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    The queues to get into my local Lidl, the closure of self service and the lack of social distancing have put me off going there for weeks. Tesco have got it under control very well so we go there instead. 
  • edited 25 May at 9:13AM
    CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 May at 9:13AM
    My Lidl is fine.   I mean it's no Aldi, but it's fine.  

Another thing I noticed upon returning to Aldi after a few weeks is that they have started to tackle black plastic food packaging.   Apparently black plastic is hard for recycling processing machine to "see".   So it's good to see Aldi removing black plastic packaging and replacing it with other colours.
    Ex Board Guide
  • EenymeenyEenymeeny Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    I like Morrison's for things that I can't get at Lidl's but we visited one night thinking that it would be quiet. True, there weren't  many customers but it was difficult manoeuvring around so many staff restocking shelves and there was only one assistant, trying to take care of seven self scans which were the only option. It felt really stressful, we won't be back until things are getting back to 'normal'.  :( (We did ask about putting one till on and the manager said he didn't have enough staff)

The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • A._BadgerA._Badger Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Eenymeeny said:
    I like Morrison's for things that I can't get at Lidl's but we visited one night thinking that it would be quiet. True, there weren't  many customers but it was difficult manoeuvring around so many staff restocking shelves and there was only one assistant, trying to take care of seven self scans which were the only option. It felt really stressful, we won't be back until things are getting back to 'normal'.  :( (We did ask about putting one till on and the manager said he didn't have enough staff)

Similarly, I had to try Sainsbury's for a few things I couldn't get in Aldi (mostly thanks to fussy feline tastebuds). There was no crush in the shop but the checkouts, as always.were atrocious! I have no idea whether it is company policy to employ the fewest operators (and the slowest) at its checkouts but it has to be the worst supermarket in that respect. And don;t start me on Sainsbury's prices! 
  • General_GrantGeneral_Grant Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    A._Badger said:
    Eenymeeny said:

Similarly, I had to try Sainsbury's for a few things I couldn't get in Aldi (mostly thanks to fussy feline tastebuds). There was no crush in the shop but the checkouts, as always.were atrocious! I have no idea whether it is company policy to employ the fewest operators (and the slowest) at its checkouts but it has to be the worst supermarket in that respect. And don;t start me on Sainsbury's prices! 
    Regarding speed of the manned check-outs - I think Sainsbury's like their operators to acknowledge the human being who is their customer and allow time for this.  Lidl/Aldi operators are there to get the shopping through as quickly as possible.

But it seems to me that the self-serve checkouts at Lidl are quite slow.  You have to wait for a delay while one item registers that it has been placed in the bagging area before you can scan another.  Is that just me?
  • CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding speed of the manned check-outs - I think Sainsbury's like their operators to acknowledge the human being who is their customer and allow time for this.  Lidl/Aldi operators are there to get the shopping through as quickly as possible.
    Where I am, both Lidl and Aldi cashiers definitely acknowledge you as you get to the till.   They scan quickly, and their extra-large barcodes are designed for exactly that.   

I pack into boxes at the checkout and I find staff in both stores are happy to accommodate that. 
    Ex Board Guide
  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    7.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    A._Badger said:
    Eenymeeny said:

But it seems to me that the self-serve checkouts at Lidl are quite slow.  You have to wait for a delay while one item registers that it has been placed in the bagging area before you can scan another.  Is that just me?
    Not just you, no. The Lidl self-serve checkouts are ridiculously slow, and the staff acknowledge that. I can only assume they don’t trust their customer base, and that it’s caused by an anti-theft system.
  • A._BadgerA._Badger Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    A._Badger said:
    Eenymeeny said:

I can't comment about Lidl as I don't shop there but I feel you are quite wrong about Sainsbury's. Judging from my experience, their staff spend a lot of time talking among themselves, they have restricted numbers of tills open and are willing to keep customers frustrated in long queues.  A few words exchanged with a customer while you scan her shopping are not a lot of compensation for having had to stand in line for fifteen minutes. I certainly don't find I am treated as any less a human being in Aldi. They just move a bit quicker, that;s all.,. 
  • Rosa_DamascenaRosa_Damascena Forumite
    1.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    I don't go to Aldi that often because I drive very rarely, so mostly walk to my local Lidl which offers some exercise and I prefer to Asda, which although is a shorter distance away is over-run and dreadful. 

There is a new Aldi opening up at a site adjacent to the existing one, which I pass on my way out of town / to my parents'. It's particularly efficient on the way back, if I pitch up after 9pm and is my store of choice. Something tells me I'll be taking a lot more trips in that direction when the new store opens....the Seaxa will no doubt be turning in his burial mound.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.
  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    7.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe Aldi have cracked it:

Aldi is putting traffic lights at store entrances as a new way of limiting shopper numbers during the coronavirus crisis. 
    The lights turn from red to green when the next customer can enter, and control the number inside based on the store’s capacity and two-metre social distancing guidelines. 
    The automatic doors only open when the lights are green.
    The lights are rolling out at Aldi stores nationwide from this week, following a trial in 10 branches. 
    NHS and blue-light workers are encouraged to go to straight to the front of the queue and other customers are asked to respect their priority access, Aldi said. 
    Stores are also encouraging one customer per trolley where possible.