Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries

Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***) - Page 70

New Post Advanced Search

Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***)

edited 10 February 2019 at 10:36AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
820 replies 133.6K views

Replies

• od244051od244051 Forumite
    538 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭
    harz99 said:
    Short dates on a lot of the fresh stuff in Aldi, maybe people aren't buying so much and using up the stuff they panic bought, or in the case of milk, drinking alcohol or fruit teas at home instead of tea/coffee...
    All the fresh meat (bar the couple packs of mince with an orange sticker) I bought in Lidl was dated 12th. Not bad. Though I placed them all in the freezer.
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    22.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Today about 2.30pm, no queue at all in Aldi. I'm assuming because more people back at work and some children back at school. 
    Sadly, they've dispensed with the lovely guy who was cleaning trolley handles and giving them out with a smile, while controlling the queue at the same time. 
    Stock was pretty good but no broccoli. Cabbage seems thin on the ground too for some weeks. I wonder if it's a picking rather than a growing problem. 😉☹️
  • Rosa_DamascenaRosa_Damascena Forumite
    1.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Something I haven't seen in either Lidl or Aldi for a couple of weeks is the own-brand bath soak. There are big gaps where these are supposed to be, but luckily there is plenty of handwash.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.
  • Sea_ShellSea_Shell Forumite
    4K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Something I haven't seen in either Lidl or Aldi for a couple of weeks is the own-brand bath soak. There are big gaps where these are supposed to be, but luckily there is plenty of handwash.

We couldn't get bubble bath in our Aldi either.  Strange, must be a supplier issue.
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow ":beer: JOB DONE!!
    This should now read "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!! :j:j:j
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    22.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They didn't have ironing water either. I wonder if the factories that make this type of thing have turned production over to sanitisers and the like. 

I know this sounds like a first world problem but our water is so hard, it really helps. :blush:
  • edited 6 June at 6:35PM
    Space_CaptainSpace_Captain Forumite
    153 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 6 June at 6:35PM
    Own brand bubble bath has been missing from Lidl, Sainsburys and Tesco for weeks now. Radox available but 3 times the price. 
  • ididntgetwhereiamtodayididntgetwhereiamtoday Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Not seen tinned meatballs in Aldi or Lidl for a few weeks either. 
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
  • A._BadgerA._Badger Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another Aldi product that seems to have vanished is its own brand Bramwell's barbecue sauce. It clearly hasn't been discontinued as the local branches have empty shelf space and 'temporarily unavailable' stickers.

Completely off topic, Rose's lime cordial  (the only one not stuffed with synthetic sweeteners - thanks David Cameron ) is also currently out of production for unknown reasons. It's only a guess but I wonder if the factories producing these missing products cannot meet the 'social distancing'  or other new rules?  . 
  • suki1964suki1964 Forumite
    14.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Own brand bubble bath has been missing from Lidl, Sainsburys and Tesco for weeks now. Radox available but 3 times the price. 
    Most companies have had to switch to getting the liquid soaps out so bubble bath production has to be scaled back
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
  • Rosa_DamascenaRosa_Damascena Forumite
    1.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    suki1964 said:
    Most companies have had to switch to getting the liquid soaps out so bubble bath production has to be scaled back
    Which is a real pity, because it worked out to be more cost-effective than liquid soap.

What's the betting that it comes back at exactly the same price per 100ml as liquid soap?   :/
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.