Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries

Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***) - Page 72

New Post Advanced Search

Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***)

edited 18 January at 8:10PM in Food Shopping & Groceries
1.4K replies 187.3K views

Replies

• EenymeenyEenymeeny Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    For those people having problems obtaining hand wash, I used dilute bath/shower wash in dispensers for years as a keen money saver. During this pandemic we have used imperial leather soap (other brands available!) My hands are so much softer and more comfortable that I won't be going back to hand wash. HTH :)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • Rosa_DamascenaRosa_Damascena Forumite
    2.2K posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Eenymeeny said:
    For those people having problems obtaining hand wash, I used dilute bath/shower wash in dispensers for years as a keen money saver. During this pandemic we have used imperial leather soap (other brands available!) My hands are so much softer and more comfortable that I won't be going back to hand wash. HTH :)
    The problem is now obtaining the remarkably cost-effective bath wash! 

I wouldn't dilute it, though - not my habit with anything.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    24.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know they do some organic veg in Aldi as I've sometimes picked up the broccoli....by mistake! :smiley:
  • mikbmikb Forumite
    403 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    mikb said:
    I suppose either it was a non-deposit trolley or they thought it was worth £1 to shop together.

Last time I was at ALDI and Morrisons, all the trolleys had been turned "free range", so you don't need a coin/token to release them. Presumably to prevent people having to work out how to decontaminate their coin afterwards.
    On some trolleys a corned beef tin key works wonders. Tesco no good as different coin slot arrangement
    Good to know they fit something! I shall save the next one and add it to my keyring :)
  • EenymeenyEenymeeny Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Eenymeeny said:
    The problem is now obtaining the remarkably cost-effective bath wash! 

I wouldn't dilute it, though - not my habit with anything.
    I appreciate what you are saying but I found some of them a bit thick for the dispensers so a splash of water often gets them moving :)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • edited 10 June 2020 at 10:09AM
    ididntgetwhereiamtodayididntgetwhereiamtoday Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 10 June 2020 at 10:09AM
    Just tried a cup of Barista Premium instant coffee (£2.29 100g from Lidl) and it is delicious. As nice as so called real coffee that costs lots more. 
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
  • edited 12 June 2020 at 11:28AM
    CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.5K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 June 2020 at 11:28AM
    New products at Aldi:-

- Chilli Beans and Taco Beans (Red Kidney Beans and Mixed Beans respectively) in sauce.  (Standard Tins, 49p)    Saves going to Sainsburys especially since they never have any.

- Vegan Thai Yellow Curry ready meal (this has been around for a while, but I've only just go round to trying it).   It's a superior ready meal (one that makes a reasonably diligent attempt to be what it claims to be).   It's a mildly spiced Thai Curry with Aubergines and Peppers as the main ingredients, accompanied by a generous serving of mixed brown and black rice.   Very nice.

-  "Choco-lo" No Added Sugar Chocolate.  Another one that's been around for a few months.  I tried the plain version which is okay, although the texture is slightly powdery.   I will try another variety next time.   Aldi have made the mistake of trying to be consistent in their nutritional info by sticking to a 2-square portion.   That doesn't really work here because the squares are massive, and the otherwise excellent stats are distorted by this.  
    ex Board Guide

• mamanmaman Forumite
    24.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up cornucopia but  think 49p is a bit steep for red kidney beans. I tend to make occasional trips to Home Bargains and stock up with various store cupboard items, including red kidney beans at IIRC 29p last week. 

Straight in and out in Aldi this afternoon. I've reverted to my usual time (around 2. 45/ 3 p.m.) which is too early for people leaving work and some will be picking up their children. Definitely a longer queue when I left. They've now replaced the helpful man at the door with a red/green light system which operates the entrance door. I think it was letting people in far more frequently then the man used to so shop was a bit busier but not much.

I think they need to study the layout a bit more too. I've noticed that when you do start your shop, the first aisle (fruit and veg followed by meat and fish) gets the most congested as almost everyone wants to buy something there, then it evens out. It's not helped by them moving the locations of things around either (cabbage and kale now above the carrots and aubergines rather than opposite nearer the broccoli??). 
  • CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.5K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    maman said:
    Thanks for the heads up cornucopia but  think 49p is a bit steep for red kidney beans. I tend to make occasional trips to Home Bargains and stock up with various store cupboard items, including red kidney beans at IIRC 29p last week. 
    They've always had Red kidney beans in water, but these 2 new products are beans in sauce.   

The Taco Beans are equivalent to Heinz Five Beans, which I've seen selling for £1.   I had been buying Sainsbury's own brand at 45p, but they seem to have disappeared (perhaps they are all in Aldi?)
    ex Board Guide

• mamanmaman Forumite
    24.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, my mistake. I must take a look. I always buy plain beans so hadn't thought about it properly.