Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***)

edited 22 May at 11:06AM in Gone Off!
1.5K replies 198.7K views

Replies

• mamanmaman Forumite
    24.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Tesco has done well out of lockdown because they do online shopping and Aldi and Lidl don't. It's a similar issue to Primark during lockdown. I'd be surprised if Aldi and Lidl are losing sleep though. 
  • edited 27 June 2020 at 6:37PM
    Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    7.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 June 2020 at 6:37PM
    maman said:
    I think Tesco has done well out of lockdown because they do online shopping and Aldi and Lidl don't. It's a similar issue to Primark during lockdown. I'd be surprised if Aldi and Lidl are losing sleep though. 
    They have, but it’s not particularly profitable for them.  Been very useful for us though. Probably around 25-30% more expensive than Aldi/Lidl though. Quality much the same for most things, considerably worse on quite a lot though.
  • duncanthedogduncanthedog Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought this thread was about good and bad buys at Aldi and Lidl not about what other shops are doing.
  • harz99harz99 Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought this thread was about good and bad buys at Aldi and Lidl not about what other shops are doing.
    It is, but there's not many of those around at the moment...
  • CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.6K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morrison's tried something similar a couple of years ago (their scheme was quite complicated, with both price tag matches and after the event points awards in lieu of a price gap).   It didn't work, partly because the scheme became quite picky in the way it matched (and I guess that would have been because it was costing them too much).

I doubt the Tesco scheme will work, either.   Academic for me since my town has both Aldi and Lidl, but the only Tesco is a small express store, and they never discount anyway.
    ex Board Guide

• Rosa_DamascenaRosa_Damascena Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Doc_N said:
    According to The Grocer,Tesco is launching a major new price war against Aldi and Lidl.

It's told suppliers it won't allow the likes of Aldi to gain the sort of price advantage that fired their growth after the 2008/9 banking crash.

It's apparently held talks with suppliers to reveal it will launch a drive to everyday low pricing, with brands thrown into the mix alongside own label. The new slogan will be Great Prices Every Day (GPED). 

Tesco has told branded suppliers they will be expected to match Aldi’s prices in the new regime. 

This should prove interesting!
    Tesco are corporate bullies and the less I spend at their stores, the better. The farmers are going to be the ones to suffer and this is undeserved.

Back to the thread topic: Aldi cup-a-soups are not nice, the Lidl equivalent at least tastes of something (guess who ate rubbish processed food for dinner this evening!).

No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.6K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lidl cupasoups are excellent (well, for the money)  4 portions for 35p?   With veggies and croutons, too.
    ex Board Guide

• calleywcalleyw Forumite
    9.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    maman said:
    You honestly believe that all supermarket doing deliveries during these times are making a killing?  They lose between £5-£7 per delivery https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-3828648/Deliveries-hit-Big-Four-supermarkets-500m-lose-5-7-online-order.html.   
    At least with Aldi and Lidl you had very few gaps on their shelves where the big four did due to the amount of deliveries they were doing.
    Yours
    Calley x

Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    7.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aldi have started a sort of delivery service, using Deliveroo, but it's very restricted at present and very limited.  It might be extended, but I guess it would have to be a profit centre first, and on the evidence of other supermarkets (with the possible exception of Ocado a bit down the line) that seems unlikely.
  • od244051od244051 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    Lidl cupasoups are excellent (well, for the money)  4 portions for 35p?   With veggies and croutons, too.
    Wish Lidl do more flavours. I hate minestrone, unless its in Italy or Italian restaurant. A carrot and coriander, spicy bean one etc.

Love Lidl's marinated salmon fillets in the fresh section.  
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

New plastic £50 note in circulation

Inventor and codebreaker Alan Turing is pictured

MSE News

TV MoneySaving tricks

How to save on Sky, Netflix, Now TV, Prime Video and more

MSE Guides

Pret subscription loophole

Get a month's worth of free smoothies, frappes, coffee etc

MSE Deals