Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries

Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***) - Page 77

New Post Advanced Search

Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***)

edited 10 February 2019 at 10:36AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
836 replies 134.5K views

Replies

• filoufilou Forumite
    19 posts
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Are Aldi/Lidl  groceries as good as Sainsbury's or Waitrose's?
  • CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Totally agree.   If you have access to both Lidl and Aldi, there's very little need to go elsewhere, and you often get to choose between a good product and an excellent similar one in the other store.
    Ex Board Guide
  • od244051od244051 Forumite
    544 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭
    Totally agree.   If you have access to both Lidl and Aldi, there's very little need to go elsewhere, and you often get to choose between a good product and an excellent similar one in the other store.
    Though wish Lidl will sell ginger ale. They have bitter lemon in their mixed mixer pallet. I don't know anyone who drinks that stuff. 
    544 posts
    ✭✭
    Do Lidl sell cream cakes? I have been looking at the fresh puddings section and can't see them in my local.
  • duncanthedogduncanthedog Forumite
    3.7K posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    od244051 said:
    Do Lidl sell cream cakes? I have been looking at the fresh puddings section and can't see them in my local.
    Not seen cream cakes yet but local Lidl has started selling iced Yum-Yums in a plastic box of 2.
  • Rosa_DamascenaRosa_Damascena Forumite
    1.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Doc_N said:
    filou said:
    Are Aldi/Lidl  groceries as good as Sainsbury's or Waitrose's?
    Every bit. Most foods sold in the UK come from the same suppliers, and though individual specifications may vary, a glance at the lists of ingredients will tell you that Aldi and Lidl specifications are in no way inferior.  Sometimes superior in fact, certainly in the case of Sainsbury.

The reason for the low prices has far more to with the efficiency of the Aldi/Lidl business model (number of product lines is just one example) than anything else. The food certainly isn’t inferior in any way.
    I really like the greek style coconut and vanilla yoghurts from both Lidl and Aldi (Both the same to be honest). There was a problem at the Muller factory and suddenly you couldn't get them for a while. Proving the point that although they're branded as somethng else, it's clearly Muller who make them.
    I have to agree, the coconut one is lovely.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.
  • edited 17 July at 1:18PM
    Rosa_DamascenaRosa_Damascena Forumite
    1.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    edited 17 July at 1:18PM
    Took a 9.30pm detour to Aldi on my way home last night.

Things I bought but didn't plan to: including a couple of bags of mixed quinoa, down from 99p/300g to 89p, and bags of cheese puffs for 49p/150g. The Fabulosa brand of cleaning products which I originally thought was emulating Zoflora now has a spray version, which includes a rhubarb scent which is channeling Method. I bought the intriguingly-named "electric", which smells pleasant enough. 

Not impressed by the so-called super-six this fortnight, though. Lidl's f&v offers have been much better this summer.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.
    544 posts
    ✭✭
    Is it just me or past couple of weeks that my mum and I, who shop at Lidl on different days have seen loads of generic green stickered items (20p, 70p, £1.20 and £2)?

Before, it was just a couple of items.

Loved their Deluxe Chicken arrabiata sourdough pizza for £1.20