Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***)

Options

Comments

• Space_Captain
    Options
    I look through the window of my lidl as I'm driving in to see if the self service checkouts are open. If not it can be a long wait. I sometimes don't bother going in.
    Any tips for the best time to shop?
  • elljay
    elljay Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Lidl "Graham's Goodness" Low Calorie Ice Cream - new flavours have arrived including Mint Choc Chip. At £1.99, this is way cheaper than any of the other Low Calories Ice Creams I've seen.

The Mint Choc Chip is IMHO not as nice as the White Choc & Raspberry (which really suits the slightly powdery texture). It's also a vibrant shade of green, rather than the traditionally more subtle mint choc chip colour. Overall... not my favourite - perhaps it will grow on me by the time the bottom of the tub comes into view.

There never seems to be any choc and raspberry in my Lidl, just the other two. However I do really like the Espresso Caramel one, in fact this thread has reminded me that I have some in the freezer, will just have to have a couple of spoonsful now before getting back to the housework.

Daren't read the list of ingredients but it does seem pretty creamy, not grainy like some other lower cal icecreams.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    elljay wrote: »
    There never seems to be any choc and raspberry in my Lidl, just the other two...

The RRP of this Ice Cream is supposed to be £3.49, so it may be that Lidl have done a deal based on erratic supplies (or something like that) in order to get the price down?
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    Lucky you, even though I get in early there is always an empty XXL space there:(
    I think that's because they are bulky boxes and there is limited shelf space. I usually find them stacked like a huge yellow edifice at a gondola end, mid-store. I go through phases of eating 12 over a fortnight or so, and then forgetting about them for months on end. Luckily they seem to be fine after their BBE date.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    I'll lob in a vote for Aldi's fat free Greek yogurt (NOT the greek style - this is the straight "greek" in the slightly flatter tub) - 500g tub for £1.39 and it is just incredibly thick and creamy. It's a blatant rip-off of Fage but bear in mind if you usually buy that for it's live properties as far as In know the Aldi one is not live.

In the non-food "lady goods" area Aldi's tampons are superb - every bit as good as the branded versions, and the panty-liners too which compare with Carefree - and those are the best I've found previously. At 69p a box of 20 for the tampons, and 49p a box for the liners, I'm sold. The sanitary towels are NOT as good IMO - I'm comparing with the BodyForm Ultra version and won't be changing over any time soon.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    In the non-food "lady goods" area Aldi's tampons are superb - every bit as good as the branded versions
    I stick to Lidl's (cardboard applicator) because Aldi uses plastic. They are comparable items.

It was freezing when I came home earlier, so I had a bowl of (Lidl generic) hot Weetabix and it has warmed me up nicely whilst the CH kicks in.

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • luvchocolate
    Options
    Lancura Q10 night cream, not tried it yet but smells exactly like Ponds cold cream and took me back 50 years, worth the £1.45 for that alone!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,671 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lancura Q10 night cream, not tried it yet but smells exactly like Ponds cold cream and took me back 50 years, worth the £1.45 for that alone!

This and the Aldi versions can be very good and :money: if they agree with your skin. Always worth a try and if your face doesn't like it, it's cheap enough to use up on your feet.
    203846930 Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Heavenly Buttery Light from Lidl is not worth the money, the ordinary stuff is just about passable but the light would be better used to grease a squeaky gate.
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    Aldi's Prosecco Spumante is on offer - £5 instead of the usual £6.

Does Aldi ever do any MoCs? I'd much rather get my Christmas goodies from there than Lidl.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure