PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Husband of tenants died, wife was given time to pay - now she is refusing to communicate

Options

Comments

• Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If she has a connection to her husband's aunt next door and actually wants to stay, then we need to work together to find out if she can afford to stay and how she can until his probate is sorted out.
    Write to her explaining you understand her situation and are willing to keep her as a tenant but she needs to communicate with you.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Write to her explaining you understand her situation and are willing to keep her as a tenant but she needs to communicate with you.

From the sounds it her husband has only been dead about a month, and the OP has been pretty heavy handed so far. I think treading a bit more lightly would be advisable. His financial situation is not the widow’s problem and he’d have been much better finding out his exact position before weighing in, so should learn from that.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,694 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 January 2019 at 10:42AM
    Options
    From the sounds it her husband has only been dead about a month, and the OP has been pretty heavy handed so far. I think treading a bit more lightly would be advisable. His financial situation is not the widow’s problem and he’d have been much better finding out his exact position before weighing in, so should learn from that.

I don’t agree and think he’s been more than fair.
    If she was merely a guest and not a tenant then he’s been fair.
    I agree should have investigated first and understoood the implications of creating a tenancy when taking money.
    Easy to say in hindsight though.
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Poor woman.

I find myself wondering what else is left to go wrong for her....? She must feel lost in an ocean of fear and shock.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,694 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Poor woman.

I find myself wondering what else is left to go wrong for her....? She must feel lost in an ocean of fear and shock.

I expect she is at the very least depressed and has cut off communication because she cannot cope rather than anything more cynical. It’s very sad she has no support.

Her husband did not do her any favours in this regard and they should have been better prepared (I’ve had a will since my 20s and had an EPA in place in my 30s).
    Such comments obviously won’t help her know but hopefully someone reading might learn something from this.
  • itchyfeet123
    Options
    If you decided to give her 3 months until Feb 22 to sort things out, and told her this, why are you assuming bad faith on her part already? She probably took you at your word that she had that much time to find a solution, and has already paid some of what's owed. She's dealing with a million things now, and a lot of contact from you/your agents won't facilitate you getting paid quicker. Instead, it adds more stress and makes it more likely that something - maybe the money you're owed, maybe something else -doesn't get sorted because her mental bandwidth is exhausted.

Your instincts were right and generous to give her time to figure everything out. Let her know that you're available if she needs to update you, but otherwise leave her alone until the date specified.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,759 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We are going through a family berevement too and it really saps you. Please give this lady some leeway. She probably can't deal with your agents or you nagging her and that's why she is not communicating. Imagine if someone treated your mum that way in the first few months of losing you dad. Will your world collapse if she is late in paying? Hers has.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    From the sounds it her husband has only been dead about a month, and the OP has been pretty heavy handed so far. I think treading a bit more lightly would be advisable.
    I don't think he has been heavy handed. I think it would be easier for her to have a conversation with her landlord which could reassure her with regards to the tenancy.
  • Hurdler
    Hurdler Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 19 January 2019 at 10:34PM
    Options
    Yep - Will do as soon as I get back and then will actually drive down to see her/managing agent to resolve.
    • Mortgage @ March 2008: £194,965 ; Lightbulb Moment: July 2011: £164,926; End Date: March 2033
    • MORTGAGE FREE: September 2015
    • MSE 1p Savings Challenge 2024 #50: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec = £223.84/£671.61
  • Hurdler
    Hurdler Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 19 January 2019 at 9:53PM
    Options

I think that is pretty unfair. I came here to find out why she might be going to the coucil because not only am I not living there anymore, I am currently overseas for a couple of weeks for work/holiday and so can't just pop round to see what is happening.

My concern is that somehow she is not talking to the managing agent (who by the way has tried to help her by relaying my advice about places she could go for advice, based on how helpless my own mother was when we lost my father... I was there to sort out most of it, but she still needed help when I was not around).

I am trying to give her as much leeway as possible but being self-employed myself three months is as much as I can manage without getting into financial difficulty myself. It is hardly my fault they were alienated from their immediate families/had family strife to contend with after his death.

I came here asking for ideas as to what the council involvement meant. Not for judgement. Then again I remember what some people are like on here.

I won't bother asking for advice here again. Thanks to the few who were actually helpful.
    • Mortgage @ March 2008: £194,965 ; Lightbulb Moment: July 2011: £164,926; End Date: March 2033
    • MORTGAGE FREE: September 2015
    • MSE 1p Savings Challenge 2024 #50: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec = £223.84/£671.61
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport