PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Husband of tenants died, wife was given time to pay - now she is refusing to communicate

Options
Hurdler
Hurdler Posts: 1,361 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
edited 19 January 2019 at 10:33PM in House buying, renting & selling
Tricky one this. I rent out my late mother's bungelow and it was rented to the nephew of her neighbour. He was diagnosed with lung cancer, which was successfully treated, but then had a brain tumour to which he was responding well to treatment before declining rapidly and passing away before Christmas.

In September, he assured the management agency that his marquee business back in Devon was still his main source of income and that his insurance would cover rent.

As he passed away a few days before the December rent was due, the managing agents saw the widow, informed me that she had his bank account frozen - thing is... that is where the rent was coming from!

I told them to give her three months to catch up because his funeral was going to be three days before the second month's arrears came due, and we couldn't serve a newly made widow an eviction notice three days before Christmas. They had never missed rent before.

Then ... she paid the first month due, and was reminded that she was due the next in three days but she decided to return home. Since she has returned in the New Year, she is no longer communicating with the managing agent (having previously told him "you know me, you knew us, I will pay you, don't worry once everything is sorted"

He has learned she is going to the Council on Monday but I am confused - what can they do?

Either way she is going to now actually be a full month in arrears from the 22nd January.

I believe that is she misses that full month then legally I can have the management agent serve notice and that at least will mean getting rent from the insurance. The same is true if I decided to serve notice.

Any ideas as to what the council getting involved means?
  • Mortgage @ March 2008: £194,965 ; Lightbulb Moment: July 2011: £164,926; End Date: March 2033
  • MORTGAGE FREE: September 2015
  • MSE 1p Savings Challenge 2024 #50: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec = £223.84/£671.61

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,638 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Only guessing, but perhaps she is asking the council to house her.
    If this is the case they will advise her not to make herself intentionally homeless I.e. you have to evict her.

Only a guess though.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,106 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Maybe she is going to the council to claim housing benefit.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hurdler wrote: »
    Tricky one this. I rent out my late mother's bungelow and it was rented to the nephew of her neighbour. He was diagnosed with lung cancer, which was successfully treated, but then had a brain tumour to which he was responding well to treatment before declining rapidly and passing away before Christmas.

In September, he assured the management agency that his marquee business back in Devon was still his main source of income and that his insurance would cover rent.

As he passed away a few days before the December rent was due, the managing agents saw the widow, informed me that she had his bank account frozen - thing is... that is where the rent was coming from!

I told them to give her three months to catch up because his funeral was going to be three days before the second month's arrears came due, and we couldn't serve a newly made widow an eviction notice three days before Christmas. They had never missed rent before.

Then ... she paid the first month due, and was reminded that she was due the next in three days but she decided to return home to Denmark. Since she has returned in the New Year, she is no longer communicating with the managing agent (having previously told him "you know me, you knew us, I will pay you, don't worry once everything is sorted"

He has learned she is going to the Council on Monday but I am confused - what can they do?

Either way she is going to now actually be a full month in arrears from the 22nd January.

I believe that is she misses that full month then legally I can have the management agent serve notice and that at least will mean getting rent from the insurance. The same is true if I decided to serve notice.

Any ideas as to what the council getting involved means?

Was she originally a tenant or just her husband?

You are able to issue a Section 8 when the tenant is 1p in arrears. Read the Tenancies in England/Wales sticky yo find out how a tenancy can be legally ended.
  • Blackpool_Saver
    Options
    It depends what they mean by council, it could be to sort out council tax, it could be to get help with the rent/council tax, it could be for advice for rehousing. Why don't you write a nice kind letter to her asking/suggesting she contact the council for rent help if she needs it, and that you would like to work with her for the benefit of the both of you, I suggest you do it and not the agents.
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• Hurdler
    Options
    We actually did when the husband died. We advised she contacted citizens advice and (if she was of pensionable age) contact Age UK to get help to sort out paperwork. We did also suggest she find out what benefits she was entitled to as a sudden widow.
    So yeah - this could be her catching up with that as he died at the end of November, the funeral was just before Christmas and then she returned to Denmark (where she is from) for Christmas and New Year.

She was obviously distressed but at the time was telling the Managing Agent that she was keen to pay/catch up as soon as possible, and indeed she got the November payment in before she went a full month in arrears.

What confuses me - she had the presence of mind to go to the bank who froze his account, but seemingly did not check where her bills were being paid from! She went to the bank and had them release the rent she owed initially...

The managing agents are seeing their solicitors, so I think they are preparing themselves to serve notice - I have landlords' insurance (as do they) so as I understand it once that notice is served by reason of non-payment (and now non-communication) then the MA's insurance also kicks in and they will be able to pay me rent owed in arrears through their insurance.

It does worry me she has gone from assuring the MAs that she wants to catch up to no longer communicating with them at all, and I am working in Australia until next week... so not easy to chase this down - I was just concerned I hadn't heard from them since before I flew out...

I guess I will find out where I stand on Monday after she has seen the council. Unfortunately though the MAs are going to their solicitors on the same day... bit messy!
    • Mortgage @ March 2008: £194,965 ; Lightbulb Moment: July 2011: £164,926; End Date: March 2033
    • MSE 1p Savings Challenge 2024 #50: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec = £223.84/£671.61
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You havent advised if she was a tenant?
    If not then she doesnt owe you her husbands debt. But do you intend to offer her a tenancy?

You pay the managing agent. They work for you. You are in control of when they apply to court etc.

The poor woman has just gone through a major life event is probably grieving and is now threatened with losing a home which she may or may not even be a formal tenant at.

Thafs life changing and councila dont just fit you in. Perhaps this was her 1st chance of an appt

Not saying not paying rent is right but you havent clarified whether she actually owes it
  • Hurdler
    edited 19 January 2019 at 10:11AM
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    Was she originally a tenant or just her husband?

You are able to issue a Section 8 when the tenant is 1p in arrears. Read the Tenancies in England/Wales sticky yo find out how a tenancy can be legally ended.

That is a good question - the details were all in his name (and it was his account that the rent came from) which is why when they froze his account suddenly she found herself with no money to pay the rent - but surely she has to live too - eat, buy groceries but not sure if she had her own income - I get the feeling from the managing agent that she didn't work.
  • supa34
    supa34 Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It depends on husband's will as to who gets all the money in the bank. So until his will isn't executed she can't have access to his account. She probably just needs time for all that to sort out. Same with the business, it will change hands to other business partners or siblings etc. Best is to go down and talk to her. Is she is going to council for housing it's best to work with her as going down the legal route will just mean more costs.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    * When he died his bank acount gets frozen- there is no choice in this.

* if she is not a (joint) tenant, you need to find out who is/are the Executer (or Administrator) of his Estate. The Estate is now your tenant, and it is the Executer/Administrator who owes you rent. This may or may not be her.

* A certain leeway seems appropriate. She paid the first month once she'd sorted out initial money, and now says she'll pay subsequent months. Maybe she will or won't, but even if not it seem both compassionate and sensible not to take premature action.

* as others said, she may be sorting out income with the council to help with the rent(Housing Benefit etc). Or reducing her council tax (single person discount) to free up cash. Or requesting re-housing. Until you know, don't make assumptions.

* it is definately a tea & cake scenario.
  • Hurdler
    Options
    HampshireH wrote: »
    You havent advised if she was a tenant?
    If not then she doesnt owe you her husbands debt. But do you intend to offer her a tenancy?

You pay the managing agent. They work for you. You are in control of when they apply to court etc.

The poor woman has just gone through a major life event is probably grieving and is now threatened with losing a home which she may or may not even be a formal tenant at.

Thafs life changing and councila dont just fit you in. Perhaps this was her 1st chance of an appt

Not saying not paying rent is right but you havent clarified whether she actually owes it

Just replied to something similar - It looks as though everything was in her husband's name - I think they (he) was towards the end of his working life so I suppose that doesn't surprise me that he was on all the paperwork. It does seem strange the bank just froze what looks like her only source of income - I remember when my father died the first thing they asked my mother was where her bills were paid from for council tax, utilities etc.

When my late mother died, I assured them both that the tenancy would continue, and I have said before I told the managing agents to allow her until the 22 February to sort out the long, tedious probate process which they assured me was more than fair under the circumstances. I know that probate can/will take months and she will not be able to live there rent free during all that time - it just is not financially possible. I could have cancelled the tenancy there and then and pulled the rug out from under them (they were very concerned about that at the time). I did not. So I am prepared to give her some leeway, but it now really concerns me that she has stopped communicating with them and as you rightly say - they are engaged to deal with this as I live two hours drive away.

I'll see what the score is on Monday and see if they have a better idea of why she is going to the council. Like I said before - I suggested all the courses of action I could think of for someone with no immediate family - Citizen's Advice, Bank bereavement officers, identify what benefits she is entitled to as a widow, what she needs to do for probate etc ... I can't think of much more to suggest to her.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure