Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Brexit the economy and house prices part 7: Brexit Harder

Options

Comments

• wunferall
    Options
    So what happens if leave were to win, would we have to go through it all again? And surely if remain won it would have to be the best of three for fairness' sake.

It was billed as a once in a lifetime chance to say what we thought of the eu. I voted remain, but I would now vote leave having seen more and more of the eu, more things I really do not like, the way they reacted when the vote came in, the way they have asked other countries not to give their people a chance to vote to leave. The eu cannot accept that there are people that are not behind their superstate ambitions, people that cannot see the points of view of others are on a hiding to nothing in my books, and as for the way they have treated Greece, well, that is simply shameful.

You'll see how much people across the EU agree with your POV soon, with the result from their election of MEP's in May.
    Then you'll see real panic in their ranks.
    ;)
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,760 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    cogito wrote: »
    And 42% is not half.
    Which is why I didn't say it was half...

Have you ever considered discussing the point instead of trying to make pedantic digs? It's tedious.
  • MobileSaver
    MobileSaver Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So what happens if leave were to win, would we have to go through it all again?

If enough people still care then absolutely yes, that's how democracy works.
    And surely if remain won it would have to be the best of three for fairness' sake.

Er, no, I'm not aware of any "best of three" precedent in how our democratic process works; we have a vote and the result stands until the next vote... simples!
    I voted remain, but I would now vote leave having seen more and more of the eu,

The thing I find particularly strange is people like yourself who claim more people would now be anti-EU and yet you're against a vote that could put the whole thing to bed.

If you are right and the next vote is a decisive win for Leave (rather than a slim sub 4% majority) then I think that would be the end of the matter. For some reason though fanatical Brexiteers seem to be absolutely terrified at the idea of a democratic vote on what to do next regarding the EU...
    Every generation blames the one before...
    Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I doubt many people really realise (apart from forums) what the result of No Deal will mean for them all.

There is no certainty other than the status quo is there?

No Deal looks a tad problematic, if not disastrous to me anyway, and hopefully will be avoided. Leave, yes because that is what was voted for, but surely with the best outcome for everyone, not just the elite few who will never suffer.

Sad times indeed.
  • wunferall
    Options
    melanzana wrote: »
    I doubt many people really realise (apart from forums) what the result of No Deal will mean for them all.

There is no certainty other than the status quo is there?

No Deal looks a tad problematic, if not disastrous to me anyway, and hopefully will be avoided. Leave, yes because that is what was voted for, but surely with the best outcome for everyone, not just the elite few who will never suffer.

Sad times indeed.

There is indeed no certainty other than status quo.
    The problem that some seem to have trouble accepting is that the previously existing status quo vanished as soon as the results of the British EU referendum were known.
    Not only for us here in Britain, but across the EU.
    Disregarding the blatantly obvious for a moment, there are already squabbles about budgets; disagreements about the future direction for the EU; disagreements about having to comply with EU rules .... all either as a result of or highlighted by Brexit.

No deal may well be problematic for some.
    My personal belief is that (like much else we have been warned about) the effects will be nothing like as severe as some are suggesting.

Rather than "sad times" for the UK at least dawns an era of new opportunities.
    Of course it is entirely in the hands of the British whether or not they take full advantage of these opportunities.
    Opportunities that simply cannot be taken advantage of as the member of a restrictive union.

The "sad times" that lay ahead are for the EU who face increasing discontent among their citizens and a continuing rise in populism; an increasingly nationalistic proportion of member countries all wanting to pull in their own direction, not the EU's; and all this at a time they least need it as they face recession and adjusting to a member country leaving.

Time will tell but one thing at least is certain.
    This year will be interesting not only for Britain, but certainly for the EU too.
  • BobQ
    BobQ Posts: 11,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    wunferall wrote: »
    The problem that some seem to have trouble accepting is that the previously existing status quo vanished as soon as the results of the British EU referendum were known.
    Disregarding the blatantly obvious for a moment, there are already squabbles about budgets; disagreements about the future direction for the EU; disagreements about having to comply with EU rules .... all either as a result of or highlighted by Brexit.

My personal belief is that (like much else we have been warned about) the effects will be nothing like as severe as some are suggesting.

Of course it is entirely in the hands of the British whether or not they take full advantage of these opportunities.
    Opportunities that simply cannot be taken advantage of as the member of a restrictive union.

The "sad times" that lay ahead are for the EU who face increasing discontent among their citizens and a continuing rise in populism; an increasingly nationalistic proportion of member countries all wanting to pull in their own direction, not the EU's; and all this at a time they least need it as they face recession and adjusting to a member country leaving.

This year will be interesting not only for Britain, but certainly for the EU too.

I am not sure if you are a knave or a fool, or maybe someone who will genuinely not be affected by the stupidity of this experiment.
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • BobQ
    BobQ Posts: 11,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    kabayiri wrote: »
    The bus was a classic distraction tool, so beloved by politicians.

It's akin to when someone asks them an awkward question on QT, and they answer something they prefer to talk about.

But...I thought the Remain team made worse mistakes.

Putting Cameron as the head of Remain was a big one. Anybody wanting to give him a metaphorical bloody nose, now had a direct opportunity to do so.

These politicians eh.

Distraction might also describe a situation in which when asked what you think about a lie you compare it with what you think was an error of judgement.

What did you think of the lie?
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    wunferall wrote: »

Meanwhile, back on planet Earth...
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    BobQ wrote: »
    I am not sure if you are a knave or a fool, or maybe someone who will genuinely not be affected by the stupidity of this experiment.

Perfectly put imo. It is nothing more than an experiment.

Anyway personally, I would have preferred the status quo myself. But I will accept what is given now. Have no choice anyway.
  • kabayiri
    kabayiri Posts: 22,740 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    BobQ wrote: »
    Distraction might also describe a situation in which when asked what you think about a lie you compare it with what you think was an error of judgement.

What did you think of the lie?

I thought the bus slogan was a stupid thing to bicker over. I said as much at the time, when we debated the campaign on here.

The essence of the point I agreed with. I don't think people from afar make good spending decisions. This includes Brussels with funding art galleries in Wales. It includes the EU pouring money into Poland, where I have seen first hand money spent poorly.

But the framing of the point in numbers led to an argument over those numbers. They meant nothing in the big scheme of things.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport