Interest details on HMRC Personal Tax Account. Updated to include how to access interest details.

edited 2 October 2019 at 5:27PM in Savings & Investments
766 replies 87.6K views

Replies

• steveksullivansteveksullivan Forumite
    250 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Sorry - bumping my post as thought it might get missed due to post above seconds later.....

Trying to access my Tax info via Govt Gateway. When I click on PAYE information I get
    Sorry, the service is unavailable

You will be able to use the service later.

Anyone aware of why this is down and when it might be back up?

Thanks
  • wiseonesomeofthetimewiseonesomeofthetime Forumite
    903 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Site working for me
  • edited 5 January 2020 at 4:16PM
    RG2015RG2015 Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 5 January 2020 at 4:16PM
    Sorry - bumping my post as thought it might get missed due to post above seconds later.....

Trying to access my Tax info via Govt Gateway. When I click on PAYE information I get
    Sorry, the service is unavailable

You will be able to use the service later.

Anyone aware of why this is down and when it might be back up?

Thanks
    Just logged in via Government Gateway without any problem. You can also log in via GOV.UK Verify and on the HMRC app.

PS: The PAYE tab is also working fine for me.
  • polymaffpolymaff Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    badger09 wrote: »
    18 October I supplied HMRC with breakdown of interest credited to every account (lots of them:o) for 2017/18 and 2018/19. I'd previously supplied only the totals.

14 November HMRC sent yet another P800 for 2018/19 with incorrect interest

9 December I sent formal complaint, with deadline 31 December before I escalated it to MP

20 December HMRC complaint handler phoned me. He described the notification of interest system as 'a nightmare'. We agreed all figures & he noted all closed accounts.

30 December - 2 January I received corrected P800 for 2018/19 and further repayment and a corrected code for 2019/20 which had previously included vastly over estimated interest and adjustment for non existent underpayment. They haven't revised 2017/18 back to the correct figure I'd supplied. I assume they have written off the £32 which they'd previously correctly told me I owed:cool:

Final step will be when my February pension arrives with a tax refund. Its only taken 4 letters and a formal complaint to get it sorted. My sympathies to anyone who loses the will to do battle:(

Sounds like you need a holiday...:)
  • badger09badger09 Forumite
    9.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    talexuser wrote: »
    I had two long phone calls, several months apart, taking all the out of date closed accounts off my list (some years out of date from the days of current account incentives etc) only to find all the old accounts listed again weeks later online for both occasions. Finally gave up when HMRC tax was only £100 or so overpayment of my calculation for this tax year (which still does not agree with the list of interest on the secret link). It will wash till sorted next tax year. Now they say my unwrapped dividends have taken me to self assessment next year - whoopee!

At least with SA you won't have to face this fiasco again.

My 'complaint handler' explained that any figures supplied by the taxpayer which HMRC staff input, are noted 'Customer:cool: Actual'. These can be, and often are, overwritten with estimated figures, when banks supply actual interest details. HMRC staff cannot overwrite 'Bank Actual' figures.

EG you phoned to tell HMRC that account with X bank was closed 2018/19 so will not generate further interest in 2019/20. Banks do not notify HMRC when accounts are closed so, when bank X supplies the actual figure of interest credited, the current system will overwrite your Customer Actual figure of 0, with an estimate.

At least, that is how I understood what he said and I assume it applies when taxpayers enter their figures via the Personal Account. I'd appreciate it if any current HMRC staff with knowledge of the system could confirm - or deny:D
    9.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    polymaff wrote: »
    Sounds like you need a holiday...:)

Next biggie is mid Feb:T
  • polymaffpolymaff Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Next biggie is mid Feb:T

After HK, nowhere beginning with IRA, I trust...:rotfl:
  • schiffschiff Forumite
    19.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to go back to P1s, P2s and P70s.
    9.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    polymaff wrote: »
    After HK, nowhere beginning with IRA, I trust...:rotfl:

Sydney and New Zealand.

I'll refrain from saying, out of the frying pan .....
    as it would be in extremely poor taste and not a subject for humour:(.
    schiff wrote: »
    I want to go back to P1s, P2s and P70s.

:rotfl:

Have to admit, I don't remember what a P1 was. Tax return?

Writing P2s & P6s after a budget recoding, was my first ever job as a temporary T.O. pending appointment as T.O.H.G. in 1971.

Rewriting Concards was fun NOT. I do wish they had an efficient 'correspondence filing system' though;)
  • schiffschiff Forumite
    19.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Have to admit, I don't remember what a P1 was. Tax return?

Writing P2s & P6s after a budget recoding, was my first ever job as a temporary T.O. pending appointment as T.O.H.G. in 1971.

P1 was a bit of a guess; there was a pink return for ordinary people and a more sober version (pale coffee coloured?) with more pages for people like MSE financial forums posters and rich people. Form 12?
    Family Allowance (40d a week) was coded out - £20 less EIR £4. My skills at mental arithmetic (which seems to be a dying art amongst the kids these days) were honed on Earned Income Relief at 2/9 and tax rates of 4/3d and within limits I could do these in my head, though there were tables provided. Calculators hadn't been born at that time.
    I've still got my first P2 - Code 35. I hesitate to say what the single person's personal allowance was!