Interest details on HMRC Personal Tax Account. Updated to include how to access interest details.

edited 2 October 2019 at 5:27PM in Savings & Investments
766 replies 87.4K views

Replies

• 20102010 Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are you 100% certain about that?

It sounds much more likely that she has £528 of unused tax allowances that is being used up by some of her untaxed interest.

What makes you believe it is estimated unpaid tax???
    It says so.
    This year estimted £790 next year £528
  • edited 9 February 2020 at 3:24PM
    RG2015RG2015 Forumite
    3K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 9 February 2020 at 3:24PM
    My wife has untaxed interest showing in her online account, is there a way for her to check the break down? She has been able to access this in previous years but is now unable to do this.
    @Hammer_Time, Your wife could  try the link below after logging in to her HMRC online tax account. She should find a green link towards the foot of the page with the following; "Check your account details and estimated interest".

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/check-income-tax/income/bank-building-society-savings

It does not work for everyone but does for some including me.
  • Dazed_and_C0nfusedDazed_and_C0nfused Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    2010 said:
    Are you 100% certain about that?

It sounds much more likely that she has £528 of unused tax allowances that is being used up by some of her untaxed interest.

What makes you believe it is estimated unpaid tax???
    It says so.
    This year estimted £790 next year £528
    Does this tax code have a similar entry for State Pension of £7,287?
  • Hammer_TimeHammer_Time Forumite
    370 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    RG2015 said:
    My wife has untaxed interest showing in her online account, is there a way for her to check the break down? She has been able to access this in previous years but is now unable to do this.
    @Hammer_Time, Your wife could  try the link below after logging in to her HMRC online tax account. She should find a green link towards the foot of the page with the following; "Check your account details and estimated interest".

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/check-income-tax/income/bank-building-society-savings

It does not work for everyone but does for some including me.
    Thanks, tried the link however still cannot see the breakdown of how the interest is made up. 
  • youngretiredyoungretired Forumite
    418 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    My mum has this problem as well. Because of how HMRC works they deduct all income from your allowance of £12500 (including untaxed interest) and so she pays a little tax every month, but she gets a rebate back every year generally in March via her personal pension.
    4.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    That should only happen if HMRC believe there are spare allowances available.

If you are saying there aren't, or not as many as HMRC believe then there is no need to wait, she just needs to update the estimated personal pension income on gov.uk and if that means there are less spare allowances her tax code should be adjusted and a higher tax code sent to the pension company.

The fact that you say she automatically gets a refund in March each year suggest it isn't quite the same issue as you believe.
  • youngretiredyoungretired Forumite
    418 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    I'm not to sure when it comes to my mum's tax account as I haven't really looked to much into it yet, where I've been sorting my dads and it was only for a small amount.

I know when you look at the tax breakdown they show her allowance of £12500, they then deduct her state pension, her untaxed interest over the £1000 and then that gives her what allowance is left available for her personal pension. Her combined pensions are below her £12500 allowance and so she shouldn't pay any tax on this, but every month she pays about £2-£3 tax where the untaxed interest has been calculated into the £12500.

As I said previously,  I know she gets this back every March for the last 2 years and so we guessed it was because of the Savings untaxed interest?

• polymaffpolymaff Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not to sure when it comes to my mum's tax account as I haven't really looked to much into it yet, where I've been sorting my dads and it was only for a small amount.

I know when you look at the tax breakdown they show her allowance of £12500, they then deduct her state pension, her untaxed interest over the £1000 and then that gives her what allowance is left available for her personal pension. Her combined pensions are below her £12500 allowance and so she shouldn't pay any tax on this, but every month she pays about £2-£3 tax where the untaxed interest has been calculated into the £12500.

As I said previously,  I know she gets this back every March for the last 2 years and so we guessed it was because of the Savings untaxed interest?

Why not just give us the raw data rather than your interpretation of the process applied?
  • soulsaversoulsaver Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Has anybody found their p800 on line? I can't see it on my account although this morning while querying how they calculated an additional 'demand' for 18/19,  HMRC was telling me it should be accessible on line.. although she couldn't tell me the route to it.
    I can't object to paying it if it's correct, but I'd like to see the evidence of their calculation.
    She says it's untaxed interest and banks data was coming in as late as October. 
    I've requested a paper copy which should be with me within ' 10-14 days' but if anyone knows of the on line route..? 

4.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    As far as I'm aware you cannot see a P800 online.