Interest details on HMRC Personal Tax Account. Updated to include how to access interest details.

Options

Comments

• bowlesbargain
    Options
    Thanks to advice on this site I have never been able to find a link to my or my wife's interest on the Gateway site. I managed to log in then use the link someone had suggested Building Society interest this opens the page in a different window, I still am unable to access the accounts as some have been closed a long time. The only one I can view and amend is one for Lloyds does anyone else have this problem
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 13 February 2020 at 12:32PM
    Options
    Thanks to advice on this site I have never been able to find a link to my or my wife's interest on the Gateway site. I managed to log in then use the link someone had suggested Building Society interest this opens the page in a different window, I still am unable to access the accounts as some have been closed a long time. The only one I can view and amend is one for Lloyds does anyone else have this problem
    I can see a list with all of my accounts showing the interest for the previous tax year. Some I can amend and some I can't. With my list, the ones that include the sort code can be amended. Those without a sort code come up with the following rather unhelpful message when I click on "update or remove".

"Sorry, there is a problem with the service

Try again later"

• badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,206 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    RG2015 said:

"Sorry, there is a problem with the service

Try again later"

I know its only February, but I nominate this for badger09's 'Stating The Bl**ding Obvious' award 2020
    2010 Posts: 5,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Is there anywhere on your PTA  that you can enter what tax you will owe next tax year on savings interest?
    And can you just put the total or do you have to break it down to each institution?
  • RG2015
    Options
    For general information, today is the first time since January 2019 that I have been unable to access my detailed breakdown of interest received on my PTA online. 
  • AlwaysLearnin
    Options
    Same here. 

Maybe they're in the process of making the information more officially available again via the site (rather than a saved link) ...?  Maybe. 

• bowlesbargain
    Options
    RG2015 said:
    In the last week HMRC have added full details of my interest received in my online personal tax account. Previously they had just shown the one figure that I had reported to them as my total untaxed interest income for the 2017/18 tax year.

This amount has shown for a few months as the estimate for 2018/19 and is now showing the individual details for 11 of my savings accounts. Only one bank is missing and the amount for this one is a balancing figure to get back to my annual amount rounded down to the nearest pound.

Clearly my banks have reported my interest received to HMRC and with the one exception noted above every account is correct to the penny. Just for information the missing bank is Virgin Money and the figure for this bank and the rounding is classified as follows which incidentally is the narrative that was previously used for the single total figure.

DUMMY ACCOUNT
    ****$$$$
    00-00-00

After hearing accounts of HMRC reporting incorrect figures I am pleasantly surprised to find that their figures are 100% accurate for 11 of my 12 accounts.

Edited to give details of how to access interest received details within the HMRC personal tax account online as requested by veryIntrigued on Sunday 24th February 2019.

The personal tax account can be accessed via the Government Gateway or the Gov.uk Verify portals as per the link below.

https://www.gov.uk/personal-tax-account

Once in click on the PAYE block and then click on check current tax year. You should then see a heading for your income from other sources with a sub section for untaxed interest income with a single figure. Below this is a link to view details. Click here and you will see a page with information on interest earned from your accounts.

Finally, at the foot of this page there is a link to check your account details and estimated interest.

Here is where I can see every savings account with individual amounts earned in the previous tax year, in this case 2017/2018.

Good luck, and if HMRC have not received and information from the banks I assume that these options will not be there for you.

NEW LINK INSERTED 02/10/2019

As per posts #340 and #341 I have added the link to access the interest details. The interest page will only become active after you have signed into your personal tax account.

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/check-income-tax/income/bank-building-society-savings
    With your help I have been using the link above to view my interest but it now says page cannot be found. A number of the accounts have been closed in the last year but I am sure they are still counting it as income how do i check.
    Thanks for your advice
  • RG2015
    Options
    RG2015 said:
    In the last week HMRC have added full details of my interest received in my online personal tax account. Previously they had just shown the one figure that I had reported to them as my total untaxed interest income for the 2017/18 tax year.

This amount has shown for a few months as the estimate for 2018/19 and is now showing the individual details for 11 of my savings accounts. Only one bank is missing and the amount for this one is a balancing figure to get back to my annual amount rounded down to the nearest pound.

Clearly my banks have reported my interest received to HMRC and with the one exception noted above every account is correct to the penny. Just for information the missing bank is Virgin Money and the figure for this bank and the rounding is classified as follows which incidentally is the narrative that was previously used for the single total figure.

DUMMY ACCOUNT
    ****$$$$
    00-00-00

After hearing accounts of HMRC reporting incorrect figures I am pleasantly surprised to find that their figures are 100% accurate for 11 of my 12 accounts.

Edited to give details of how to access interest received details within the HMRC personal tax account online as requested by veryIntrigued on Sunday 24th February 2019.

The personal tax account can be accessed via the Government Gateway or the Gov.uk Verify portals as per the link below.

https://www.gov.uk/personal-tax-account

Once in click on the PAYE block and then click on check current tax year. You should then see a heading for your income from other sources with a sub section for untaxed interest income with a single figure. Below this is a link to view details. Click here and you will see a page with information on interest earned from your accounts.

Finally, at the foot of this page there is a link to check your account details and estimated interest.

Here is where I can see every savings account with individual amounts earned in the previous tax year, in this case 2017/2018.

Good luck, and if HMRC have not received and information from the banks I assume that these options will not be there for you.

NEW LINK INSERTED 02/10/2019

As per posts #340 and #341 I have added the link to access the interest details. The interest page will only become active after you have signed into your personal tax account.

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/check-income-tax/income/bank-building-society-savings
    With your help I have been using the link above to view my interest but it now says page cannot be found. A number of the accounts have been closed in the last year but I am sure they are still counting it as income how do i check.
    Thanks for your advice
    If you look back two posts, you will see that on the 14th April I was not able to access the detailed breakdown. This remains the case. However, I can still access the total being used for 2020/2021 on the link " How is your income tax calculated" and then "View detailed income tax estimate".
  • bowlesbargain
    Options
    Thank you for that I have seen that. Maybe they are waiting for all the banks to report then it will go back on. I am sorry I did not go back over the tread but as it was 46 pages long I didn't know how far to go. Thank you RG2015 I will keep checking I think I may have to write list all the the interest from 2019/2020 to confirm they have the same. 
  • RG2015
    Options
    I always use my laptop as it is almost impossible to do anything or see previous posts on my phone.

As this was a back door access I am not sure it will be restored. I am really hoping they do not double up my interest with the actual data from the banks added to the estimate. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback