Interest details on HMRC Personal Tax Account. Updated to include how to access interest details.

edited 2 October 2019 at 5:27PM in Savings & Investments
766 replies 87.7K views

Replies

• RG2015RG2015 Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    My account breakdown for interest is no longer showing (just an overall total, from 17/18 numbers).

My OH still has the breakdown, and it looks to have been updated with 18/19 figures, but TSB and Santander figures missing as others have experienced. The total has also been recalculated (to match their new breakdown), and this appears to have been used for a tax code adjustment on 21st Nov.

ETA, just for info: I still can't get to the interest breakdown from the online tax account, having to use the link in this thread to see it
    I think everyone still has to use the back door method.
  • AlwaysLearninAlwaysLearnin Forumite
    707 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭
    I'd guess so too, however just thought I'd add so that others perhaps reading that there had been recent changes/updates to the breakdowns didn't think they were going mad if they still couldn't find the info on their tax account...
  • RG2015RG2015 Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd guess so too, however just thought I'd add so that others perhaps reading that there had been recent changes/updates to the breakdowns didn't think they were going mad if they still couldn't find the info on their tax account...
    I've just remembered that you are the one that discovered the north west passage on post #18.

Respect :T
  • badger09badger09 Forumite
    9.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    schiff wrote: »

Like badger* I was in the Revenue but that experience is of no help in the current shambles!

* I hope he's taken his umbrella to Hong Kong!

It’s no help with getting through the minefield of the online system, but at least I know how to calculate my correct liability and how previous years under/overpayments should be treated.

Sadly HMRC currently can’t seem to manage that!

PS an umbrella would be very undesirable, even dangerous in HK at the moment. Fortunately in sunny weather around 25C, she;) doesn’t need one.
  • schiffschiff Forumite
    19.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    badger09 wrote: »

PS an umbrella would be very undesirable, even dangerous in HK at the moment. Fortunately in sunny weather around 25C, she;) doesn’t need one.

Sorry :o:o........
  • youngretiredyoungretired Forumite
    425 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Just a quick update, I contacted HMRC on the 19th November as the complaint handler had input my dad's figures, though they didn't match what we had provided and the 19/20 estimates had all been input with just sort codes so no amendments could be done online.

When I questioned this all the complaint handler had done was used the original letter that my dad had sent in in April and not the full account details and actual interest received spreadsheets that we had provided for closed accounts and accounts that had already been closed in this tax year that were attached with his complaint.

The complaint handler double checked whilst I was on the phone, as they said that there were no spreadsheet attachments and then apologised as they had totally missed them! Hence they were going to double check the figures they had input for 18/19 interest figures and add all the account details we had provided.

I contacted HMRC yesterday having not heard from them and they were having trouble getting the information onto their system, so now as the complaint has been over 2 months it has been escalated to the next level, so fingers crossed will be sorted soon.
  • newatcnewatc Forumite
    682 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I complained about them not using my figures but incorrect ones whey they said came from the banks (I didn't believe that as I've never received wrong figures from the banks).

I got a phone call from them saying they accepted everything contained in my letter and have now corrected my tax code (which I've now received by post). The guy told me that they knew there had been problems with tying up the bank information with their or taxpayer information because any little discrepancy preventing a match up and effectively caused that information being duplicated.

I'm happy that my tax paid previous and current year is correct so here's hoping that by next year's return, the software problems will be sorted.
  • FrogletinaFrogletina Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I spent an hour on the phone with HMRC yesterday having received three letters from them.

First I was given lots of options to get me to the right place and then the automated voice gave me a number to ring, which was the same one I was on, and cut me off.

I then called again and asked for complaints. Finally my call was answered but the advisor talked to me as if I knew nothing at all.

I had amended one figure online, and a letter came to say it had been dealt with, giving the account number, but it had just been removed from the list ??? He didn't know what to do about that one.

The second letter asked me to ring them as they were unable to deal with my query (no idea what account this referred to). He couldn't find the second letter so didn't know what it was about.

Then he was very patronising, saying 'we don't take tax at source now, everyone has a personal tax account, and we get advised of the interest by the banks'. Well duh!

I said my estimate was way too high (using the incorrect 18/19 figures) which was why I was amending some of the figures online - my third letter was inviting me to list all the interest I'd received, but having lots of accounts, I didn't want to do that.

He was able to look at the 18/19 figures (I wish I could still see them) and the total didn't match mine. It was £200 out, in my favour - so I left it at that, knowing that it will match later.

Oh, and I also asked why I was showing nil money as income at a firm I'd never worked at. I was told it was for income that was non-taxable, but got no reason as to why it was showing as employment.

If the advisor is indicative of the staff at HMRC, no wonder this BETA site is still not working correctly.
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 #441 £1567.31 SPC 9 #441 £1014.64 SPC 10 #441 £1164.13 SPC 11 #441 £1598.15 SPC 12 #63 £994.67 SPC 13 #63 £962.54 SPC 14 #4⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • 20102010 Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I`m going to state the obvious now.

Each tax year keep your own record of every last penny of interest you receive down to the last penny, and where the interest comes from. (sort codes, accounts numbers, etc.)

HMRC seem to be using the previous year`s interest and assuming nothing has changed for the current year.
    Their online system is and will continue to be inaccurate and will always lag behind because when the tax year ends in April, they do not get the interest paid figures until July/ August.

This tax year alone I have had six tax codes and two P800.

My latest code is basically back to what it was at the start of this tax year.
    HMRC seem satisfied my tax is up to date.
  • drob4drob4 Forumite
    113 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    I have an Al Rayan 1 year fixed term deposit, maturing June 2020. I requested the interest to be paid along with the return of capital in June when the term ends.

I've received two statements from Al Rayan (in Sept and Dec) showing the quarterly interest has been added to my initial deposit. Do I treat this as receving interest in the current tax year (any previous fixed term deposit has just paid the interest in a lump sum at the end of the term)?

Grateful for any advice.