Interest details on HMRC Personal Tax Account. Updated to include how to access interest details.

Options

Comments

• polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    badger09 wrote: »
    Me too.

I'm still resolutely refusing to engage with this Personal Tax Account.

Unfortunately though, HMRC seem unable to get figures of interest and therefore under/overpayments correct, even when provided with accurate interest figures.

They have recently removed a large incorrect coding adjustment for estimated current year interest, but I'm still paying additional tax based on HMRC calculated underpayment of over £823.

There is no underpayment, in fact, they owe me £113:(.

Good man.

I have the reverse situation. Despite the fact that all Other Income I have is paid gross, my PiTA states that I'm due a four-figure repayment on my Other Income. How the B H do they work that out.

Likely answer, btw, My secret £50k pension they once thought I had has so inflated my tax liability that - as they've now deleted "Harvey the pension", they still need to delete the resulting tax liability. The figures fit - and the implication to me is that - despite all the carp from HMRC about how robust and deterministic MTD is - it is actually still fire-fighting bodgers who have no understanding how a data patch here affects the whole calculation.

Long live the SATR.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,229 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    polymaff wrote: »
    Good man.

I have the reverse situation. Despite the fact that all Other Income I have is paid gross, my PiTA states that I'm due a four-figure repayment on my Other Income. How the B H do they work that out.

Likely answer, btw, My secret £50k pension they once thought I had has so inflated my tax liability that - as they've now deleted "Harvey the pension", they still need to delete the resulting tax liability. The figures fit - and the implication to me is that - despite all the carp from HMRC about how robust and deterministic MTD is - it is actually still fire-fighting bodgers who have no understanding how a data patch here affects the whole calculation.

Long live the SATR.

You have my deepest sympathy

However, as a retired Senior Tax Inspector with many years fire fighting:p experience following the introduction of several ill thought out & even more poorly executed IT systems, I do not blame the front line staff who have to do that fire fighting. Added to which is their obvious lack of basic training in/understanding of the underlying tax regulations and an increasing reliance on "Computer says £xxx. Computer must be right", its a recipe for disaster.

Fortunately, I do understand how income tax is calculated, and the implications of previous year corrections:cool: and have the time, though not necessarily the patience, to keep going until they get mine right.

PS
    I'm still a laydee;)
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 September 2019 at 6:51PM
    Options
    badger09 wrote: »
    You have my deepest sympathy ... I'm still a laydee;)
    Oh, I don't belabour the "front line" staff, if you mean - in the new parlance - customer-facing staff. In fact I've not raised these issues via them, or via any other HMRC staff. I recognise a work-in-progress when I meet it and accept the customer-facing staff know little of such projects. It does strike me, though, that someone has patched in a correction under the ludicrous identification of an Other Income repayment. Not that I really care as I regard the online SA as, as of October last, to be surprisingly capable compared to all the twenty-odd releases of HMRC Assesmment software that preceded it. So surprising that I'd guess that HMRC might have called in some external help. The name Tim Good comes to mind.

I thought long and hard about "Good Man" and as "Good Person" didn't seem right, I fell back on the sex-less meaning of Man, as in Mankind....:)
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    RG2015 wrote: »
    It has changed and is now difficult to access. You need to log in to your personal tax account online and then follow the link below. Towards the foot of this page is a link to the details.

It is mad but it does work.

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/check-income-tax/income/bank-building-society-savings
    I can navigate to that page but only by putting in the above link, there seems to be no direct way to navigate to that page.
    Most of the 5 or 6 interest entries are the correct interest paid in 2018/19 but the total at the bottom is less than half the sum of the figures above, the total shown is the actual interest used for 2017/18 not 2018/19.
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 6 September 2019 at 9:45AM
    Options
    Tom99 wrote: »
    I can navigate to that page but only by putting in the above link, there seems to be no direct way to navigate to that page.
    Most of the 5 or 6 interest entries are the correct interest paid in 2018/19 but the total at the bottom is less than half the sum of the figures above, the total shown is the actual interest used for 2017/18 not 2018/19.
    There used to be a direct way to get to the page but it stopped working. The link is currently the only way to get there. I remain indebted to a previous poster, AlwaysLearnin, who first posted the link on post #18.

I am surprised at the figures not adding up to the total a the bottom but I suppose that anything is possible with HMRC IT. Cue more chuckling from polymaff and badger09.:)

PS: My 24 accounts all add up to the total at the bottom. The list shown also includes 7 accounts with zero balances after I got their customer services person to change them. However the total is also my actual figure for 2018/19 which is not accessible online.
  • AlwaysLearnin
    Options
    Similar position to Tom99 here too - most of the breakdown now showing 18/19 amount, but some still 17/18 amounts (Nationwide, TSB, a couple of joint accounts & closed accounts) and overall total still the 17/18 amount.

I guess as we're still seeing this via a bit of a back door route, we shouldn't be too surprised that it's not a finished product. Will be interesting to see if they do make it available officially again at some point, once it's all up to date
  • IanSt
    IanSt Posts: 366 Forumite
    Options
    I tried the link last year with no success, but just tried again and I actually got a list of accounts this time. Will be interesting to see when they start to match the actual figures I've got saved away. A couple are right, but most seem to be wrong.

Tried it for my OH but nothing came up - she still just gets an error page.
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    IanSt wrote: »
    Tried it for my OH but nothing came up - she still just gets an error page.
    Log in to your account then copy/paste the url into another tab rather than clicking on the link. For some reason that works for me.
  • IanSt
    IanSt Posts: 366 Forumite
    Options
    Unfortunately that doesn't work either. Ah well, I'll keep trying every now and again and maybe one day it'll work for both of us :)
  • bsms1147
    bsms1147 Posts: 2,261 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was asked by HMRC to complete a BBSI form - I submitted the interest and details for 30+ accounts to them. 7 of the accounts are listed individually in the PTA, and all the remaining accounts were totalled together and entered as one. It's a fudge but works for me.

Guess the person responsible for entering them just gave up!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback